Favorite Smoke Wood for Turkey

I have a chestnut tree, produces the chestnuts for us to eat not the "horse chestnuts". I used about 3 six inch pieces for my turkey on my 18" kettle. Came out great.

For thanksgiving day proper I usually use no smoking chunks at all, or maybe a chunk or two of peach. Lots of people who rarely eat bbq are VERY sensitive to smoke and a turkey soaks it up quick

Gona do a rotisserie turkey tomorrow. Would like to throw a little wood in a pan to smoke things up a bit. I got tons of birch sitting around and some oak. Either of these good?

THey usually recommend milder woods on poultry like Apple and Cherry. Oak is not generally recommended and I don't know about birch. But, bottom line is you can use whatever you want. I don't think using Oak would by any means ruin a turkey. I have a load of crab apple that I took down in my parents yard a couple years ago and I have used that in the past and will continue to. I reserve the oaks and hickories for beef and pork.

I see no reason to not mix wood. You might find a combo that you like better than any single choice.

Reactions: Duc

Back