Faux Burnt Ends

John Solak

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Picked up about 7 lbs chuck roast and seasoned with Slap Yo Daddy General Purpose Rub and placed them indirect

Cooked until they were probe tender

Let them rest a bit.

Cubed them up and placed in a mixing bowl

Added some bbq sauce, more rub and gave them a good toss and transferred them to an aluminum pan and back on the grill indirect.

They were on for about another hour indirect and I tossed them in the pan around the 30 minute mark to let the bottom ones caramelize a bit.

You know, that looks right up my alley. I've always considered normal burnt ends a little rich for my taste.............just a little fattier than "I'd like", even after 2-3 hours back on. I might just have to try this..maybe even very soon since I have a nice big fat rack of beef ribs in the freezer....this might cook right along side them like it was meant to be.

John, those look Awesome! I was wondering what I was going to take to a bonfire this weekend at a friends house, and these are just the ticket! Question, at what temps were you cooking/smoking the meat at?
Thanks,
Tim

John, those look Awesome! I was wondering what I was going to take to a bonfire this weekend at a friends house, and these are just the ticket! Question, at what temps were you cooking/smoking the meat at?
Thanks,
Tim

Not sure but a lot hotter than I wanted probably around 350. I put the meat on the grill and ran some errands and that took longer than I thought, about an hour and a half. The meat was almost done so I just shut the vents and left them on the grill for another 1.5 hours. The second time after the meat was cubed up, grill was around 250-285.
Chuck roasts seem to be the most unpredictable meat to cook, some cook real fast while others take forever to get tender.

Back