Fair price on a Genesis Silver B?

ErikGee

Hey all, new to the forum but been reading through a lot of the posts this last month or so.

Keeping an eye out locally for a nice silver and one popped up but not too sure on the pricing.

They are asking 150$, looks to be in good condition, clean, well taken care of. No noticeable signs of rust and flavor bars, burner tubers, and hose replaced not too long ago.

I just recently moved from apartment living to house living and eill be my first grill so im a little eager but dont want to jump the gun too quickly haha

Any input is appreciated, thanks!
00D0D_jY140rZOy_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

Greetings, and congratulations on your new house. These grills are certainly older but were built like tanks compared to today's stuff. It appears that the guy had a large porch to keep the grill under, and also that he knew how to replace the parts. If the grill isn't far, and lights up and seems to work great, go ahead and pay the $150. The worst you could be out is $150, right? These do go for less and even free at the curb sometimes, but usually not in fully working condition. The biggest hidden problem with this or any older grill from Weber may potentially be the valves - sometimes they get sticky and may eventually fail to operate.

Parts are still available in various degrees of quality. You didn't mention the condition of the grates. Some of these are expensive. I wouldn't expect the small wheels to roll, and you might have to light it with a lighter.

A similar new grill from Weber would be more than $500. You can always negotiate. If it sale doesn't include a tank, demand one or try to knock the price down on the logic that you'll have to buy one just to make it work.

Greetings, and congratulations on your new house. These grills are certainly older but were built like tanks compared to today's stuff. It appears that the guy had a large porch to keep the grill under, and also that he knew how to replace the parts. If the grill isn't far, and lights up and seems to work great, go ahead and pay the $150. The worst you could be out is $150, right? These do go for less and even free at the curb sometimes, but usually not in fully working condition. The biggest hidden problem with this or any older grill from Weber may potentially be the valves - sometimes they get sticky and may eventually fail to operate.

Parts are still available in various degrees of quality. You didn't mention the condition of the grates. Some of these are expensive. I wouldn't expect the small wheels to roll, and you might have to light it with a lighter.

A similar new grill from Weber would be more than $500. You can always negotiate. If it sale doesn't include a tank, demand one or try to knock the price down on the logic that you'll have to buy one just to make it work.
Inside looked pretty darn decent haha

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated !

Attachments

• 00Z0Z_e4kVa2jdPVd_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg
    00Z0Z_e4kVa2jdPVd_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 32
Very nice condition for $150. I had that exact grill for 20 years, refurbed it a few times, and now my daughter has it. Worth it, in my opinion.

I agree. If the inside have all been replaced recently and you are looking for an older Genesis that you don't want to spend a lot of time fixing up, that would be a good deal IMO. How long has he had it for sale? Doesn't hurt to offer $100 and meet at $125 maybe.

I agree, $150 isn't a bad price, and this isn't a particularly good time of year for buying as we are just starting to head into grilling season...prices seem to be firming up. What will likely happen is that you will buy this grill and continue to watch the market...you are in a good area for vintage Webers...and this will probably be your first purchase but maybe not your last acquisition. This may not be the very best deal, but it might be the right deal for you today.

Thanks everyone, appreciate the advice! I'll give it a shot, worst case i just wait a little longer for another to pop up so no harm.

Does anyone have basic dimensions of a silver B? Wxhxd? Seeing if I have to borrow the family truck or if it can fit in the back my wagon haha

It'll fit in your wagon. That's a nice one. Go grab it. Bring a mat and some basic tools to pull the lid off, take the grates out and so on. They're so light weight after the lid is off and the innards are out you can easily lift it into the car. Just bring some old rugs and such

Looking at the second picture (the inside), I would grab it like right now. Very few people have both of the two silly "warming" racks visible in the picture. In my view, these racks were a gimmick by Weber to increase the size of the grill for marketing reasons and they were never intended to last. Seeing them there suggests to me that this is an exceptional grill. Even the grates might be original.

Personally I liked the extra swing basket and warming rack.

The Silver B was my only gas grill for 20 years and when I was younger and I ate baked potatoes I usually had a few on the swinging rack any time the grill was lit.

I still have a couple swinging racks in the garage.

I used the fixed warming rack to keep bacon warm when making cheeseburgers.

Thanks everyone, appreciate the advice! I'll give it a shot, worst case i just wait a little longer for another to pop up so no harm.

Does anyone have basic dimensions of a silver B? Wxhxd? Seeing if I have to borrow the family truck or if it can fit in the back my wagon haha
This is what happened to me: I bought this Silver C for $125 in 2020 -

Pic1.jpg

I took it apart and got it home in the trunk/back seat of a Toyota Camry. 2 or 3 days later, this one showed up for sale for $75:

1677438821266.png

The seller delivered it to me for $10. He wrapped his arms around it and muscled it down out of the back of his truck while I stood there dumbfounded, not knowing whether to help him or stay the heck out of his way. I love this grill!

These grills all fit in a box at one time. The later Silvers were claimed to be SWE (Stop Watch Engineering) and assembled within 30 minutes by the consumer.

1677439384593.png

I have attached the assembly instructions for a Silver C, but you can likely download literature for whatever grill you end up with from Weber.

I'm reasonably certain they will fit in your car. Be sure to remove the lid no matter how you transport...it comes of easy enough with two removable pins. I brought one home where the pin was rusted in place and had no choice, but that is an easily damaged area of the grill.

Attachments

• Assembly Guide - 55818.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
Enabling runs rampant on this forum.
And to add to it: I brought this one home in the trunk/back seat of said Toyota, $20, complete with both serving trays -

00D0D_7EP2abY8QT4_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

EDIT: Went sort of crazy, built a hobbyist CNC machine (MPCNC) so I could carve the replacement wood for the trays.

1677460012679.png
20210816_142146.jpg 1677443848230.png

EDIT2: Finally got those plaques hung, after much prompting from DW.

1677441541454.png

Last edited:

Back