Fair price on a Genesis Silver B?

The 2000 -2001 Silver B's had metal square tubing cross braces on the bottom of the frame. After that they were made like this one where the wire rack provides the lateral stability ( such as it is, not as sturdy in my opinion)

The 2000 -2001 Silver B's had metal square tubing cross braces on the bottom of the frame. After that they were made like this one where the wire rack provides the lateral stability ( such as it is, not as sturdy in my opinion)
The 2002+ have the entire upper frame welded as one piece, where the 2000/01 are split in half like x000 frames.

I'm not sure which is stronger. It's been 40 years since I studied statics engineering, yet I think both are sufficiently over built.

The 2002+ have the entire upper frame welded as one piece, where the 2000/01 are split in half like x000 frames.

I'm not sure which is stronger. It's been 40 years since I studied statics engineering, yet I think both are sufficiently over built.
Well, I can definitely say that the upper frames on the X000 frames don't suffer as a result of being bolted together. I would think that common sense would tell us that having a structural member bolted between the legs would be sturdier than a wire rack just sitting on top of the cross members that run front to back. That being said, I have also come across 1000 frames that were pretty loose side to side even after disassembly and retightening of all frame bolts.

As I think about it, I'm sure a lot of the stability of these grills is where the legs bolt to the upper frame section and that the years just take there toll. Moving it around and just brushing the grates are going to eventually loosen them up somewhat, they aren't that strongly made. You may be right Dan, I'm certainly not a structural engineer.

A little different take is that the wire racks usually hold up much longer that the two cross braces. A lot of my rehab grills with the two cross members come with them failed due to rust on the connecting nuts. Had they been welded, it would have been a different story.

I have two Silver B's, one new from 2005, the other from a neighbor that I only had to replace the drip pan, flavor bars and grills (were ok but I prefer the rod style). You got a very good value, I think Silver B's have a great layout and are super easy to maintain. I like that the burners run side to side so I can cook tenderloins and ribs without cutting them up.

Recommendation - take the tables off and check for rust on the frames underneath. I just cleaned up and painted a rust spot there.

Back