Factory thermometer problem. . .

I know this is an old thread, but what do you guys recommend as a replacement for the dome thermometer in the 22" WSM? Mine is stuck showing about 250 or 300 when at room temp. Anyway to actually adjust or calibrate it?

I know this is an old thread, but what do you guys recommend as a replacement for the dome thermometer in the 22" WSM? Mine is stuck showing about 250 or 300 when at room temp. Anyway to actually adjust or calibrate it?

Call Weber they will definitely send u a new one. Best costumer service I have ever dealt with.

I don't quite understand all the hood ornament comments. I took mine off the day i got my WSM, stuck it in some boiling water, adjusted it and checked it a year later, and she says 210 on the boiling water test. I tested with a friends Maverick and the grate ran about 15 degree"s hotter, knowing that, which has been highly talked about on this forum, i run the smoker accordingly.

Can you explain how you adjusted the WSM thermometer?

Agree that the stock one is pretty much for show. I thought about getting a couple of TruTemps. Instead, I installed a clip near the top of the dome to clip either my Maverick or Guru pit probe.

I know that it doesn't measure temp at the grates. But depending on what you're cooking, your placement of the probe on the grate will vary anyway (brisket=edge, butts/ribs=center more likely). My feeling is, this way I'm getting the same reading no matter what I'm cooking.

BD

I can't believe that Weber would sell the WSM's with a thermometer that they know isn't accurate. When I first got mine I cooked via the Dome Thermometer and a Thermapen to check for doneness. Worked like a charm. Food was awesome. If you must you can easily change out your dome thermometer for a Tel_tru!

I did a cook the other day with water in the pan. For some reason with water the dome temp was pretty close. Without water it's way off.

Mine gets more accurate the hotter the meat gets it seems. Im off for a few days and bored so I'm doing lots of posting. Don't worry folks I will be back to work saturday and the madness will stop lol. I just run the maverick in the grommet and stick it in about 2 inches and run the smoker about 15 to 20 degrees hotter than I want the temp over the water pan. Finishing times are pretty much spot on to what I hear others saying their cook times take. Does anyone else do it this way?

Running a Stoker here with the pit probe entering the WSM through a metal grommet used to attach the grill hangers. Tip of pit probe is approx 1" inside the WSM. Since no water is used here, I set the temperature at exactly what I want to cook at... 250, 270, etc.

After a very frustrating afternoon (more on that in another thread later) I know I need to get a more accurate means of monitoring the WSM 22 temperature than the !@#$!@#$ stock thermometer. I found this thread, but am confused about the Maverick ET-732.... is this for monitoring the internal meat temp, or is this for attaching to the WSM to monitor the air temp to keep it in range?

After a very frustrating afternoon (more on that in another thread later) I know I need to get a more accurate means of monitoring the WSM 22 temperature than the !@#$!@#$ stock thermometer. I found this thread, but am confused about the Maverick ET-732.... is this for monitoring the internal meat temp, or is this for attaching to the WSM to monitor the air temp to keep it in range?

Its got two probes so you can use it for both. I just use mine for smoker temp most the time. I use the 733.

Thanks. That makes sense, now that I re-read the product info. My main remaining concern is the fact that the probe lead wires are only 3 feet long. That's not a great length to get the sender unit away from the WSM kettle, and I assume the sender unit should not be left dangling by its leads and resting against the hot kettle. And no way I'd want to position lawn furniture that close to the smoker just to hold the sender unit. And as far as I can tell, that leaves the option of paying up front for the 6 foot replacement leads, which just irritates me.... the unit should come with longer leads!

LOL, what can I say, I am a hard man to satisfy sometimes. Again, thanks for the clarification.

I have a roof over where I smoke butt when I didn't I world set it on a clean galvanized bucket that was upside down and put a clear glass bowl over it. Worked well.

When I got my first 22 WSM (I still have it and use it.) I didn't know anything about thermometer inaccuracies. I kept the dial between 225-250. it would occasionally creep up to 260* and I close down a vent or two. Personally, I don't obsess over the dome temp and have had nothing but great results. BBQ is done when it's done. If this won't do for you, you can replace the OEM thermometer with a Tel-Tru.Or you can get a BBQ Guru or a Pitmaster IQ. They both work.

When I got my first WSM (I still have it and use it.) I didn't know anything about thermometer inaccuracies. I kept the dial between 225-250. it would occasionally creep up to 260* and I close down a vent or two. Personally, I don't obsess over the dome temp and have had nothing but great results. BBQ is done when it's done. If this won't do for you, you can replace the OEM thermometer with a Tel-Tru.

Back