Excited New WSM 22.5 Owner Getting Ready for Fourth of July Brisket Smoke

Will D.

Good afternoon everyone. I (over) researched smokers for a few months and, after reading the VWBB, I got the WSM 22.5 and couldn't be any happier. I've already smoked a pork shoulder usng a rub I made and it turned out fantastic. I also did a brisket last weekend and it turned out fair (I crutched it at 150, and not sure if I'll do it again). I used the snake or C-method for burning the charcoals (I put a rock in the middle and let the charcoal snake around all night).

For the full packer brisket (about 15 lbs) I'm starting around 2 am (to eat around 5 pm), and was wondering if you guys think I should try the Minion method for the coals? I thought the snake method worked pretty well (got about 7 hours before having to reload with charcoals). The outside temp was about 90 degress and the smoker temp stayed around 225 pretty consistently. I just dont see many people using the snake method and wanted to see what you guys think. I'm going to post pics of my WSM set-up and brisket later. Thanks in advance for any tips. Really excited about joining VWBB.

As a sidenote, I bought the Cajun Bandit grommets (3/4") for my Maverick thermoter but am nervous as heck about drilling holes in my beautiful new WSM. If anyone has suggestions to relieve my fears, I would appreciate it.

Will

As a sidenote, I bought the Cajun Bandit grommets (3/4") for my Maverick thermoter but am nervous as heck about drilling holes in my beautiful new WSM. If anyone has suggestions to relieve my fears, I would appreciate it.

Will[/QUOTE]

Will...I had the same fear as I drilled for my grommets. I put some blue paint tape over the whole, got a sharp bit and went about drilling, I couldn't be happier. JUST DO IT!

You're right James. I'll try the blue paint tape, drill, and be done with it.

Tony, I just don't understand how the Minion method does not cause the fire to get too hot. It seems like it would move pretty quickly through the coals since the hot coals start in the middle. But what the hell do I know. I'll never believe it until I try it. So I'm going with the Minion method. Thanks guys.

For a packer I use minion and have fuel left over after 12 plus hours. What fuel are you using.

Kingsford. And I just wimped out. I went back to the Snake method, but I think I realize why Minion is better. Minion has very balanced oxygen intake, where as snake changes as moves along the permitter.

Also, need to figure out how to post pics. Will research now.

There's got to be a better way to display the percentage of the vents open on each vent. 1/4 thru 4/4 seems to be the most logical.

Ok. So I just put a 13.5 lbs packer on. My grill temp was 225 with water. Vents quarter open. Put in brisket which and internal temp of 34 and WSM temp of 119. Question is.

Think I should of research a little more before this project began. I confused how I did my pork shoulder with how I'm doing this brisket. Better realizing that now than later.

Back