EX4 Incoming

Colin

TVWBB All-Star
I have been looking at pellet grills lately and had it narrowed down to two, the Recteq 380X Bullseye Deluxe and the Smokefire EX4. Well, I found a BNIB EX4 with $500 worth of Weber accessories on FB MP for nine bills. We're picking it up this evening.
The Dark Side is going to be daunting!

It may not be as tough as you think. We have some good folks here that will answer your questions. Download the BILT app for assembly. Weber recommends it. If you're not adverse to using Facebook I'm an Admin on a friendly group of Smokefire owners. We have over 9500 members and if you want help with anything Smokefire related we have good folks that will help. Additional, we have a member generated FAQ which is a collection of tips, tricks, and lessons learned. Tips like a link to spare fuses bigger casters, and a discussion on grease fires. On our files page you will find more technical help and recipes. The group is "Weber SmokeFire WoodFired Pellet Grill: Owners Group", The tone of the group is like you find here on TVWBB.

Colin, remove the finger guard in the bottom of the pellet hopper. One screw at a time. The screws hold the auger and chute assembly in place. With the EX4 I recommend waxing or spraying with food safe silicone the inside of the pellet hopper. It's a safeguard against pellet bridging and then a flameout.

Congratulations, happy to see another member join the mix. Those cast iron grates will look good in the SmokeFire. Great buy!

Last edited:
Got it put together this morning after doing the dog walk and plant watering. The heat was brutal, but I had fun! The packaging was quite impressive. Not one dent or ding on anything. Very well done Weber! Also, the assembly instructions were as good as I have seen for anything I've put together. Another tip of the hat to Weber.
First burn at 450* for 60 minutes went without a hitch. Manufacturing oils stunk for the first 30 minutes but cleared up. Grill came up to temp quickly. I was impressed. Shutdown went great too. It is really nice to know that I can run this grill without all of the bells and whistles.

Now, after installing the Weber Connect app on my Android phone, it connected via BlueTooth instantly, but Software Updates failed three times. Only after doing a 'Factory Reset' from the Main Screen on the controller and powering down and back up and reconnecting with Weber Connect did the Software Updates take. Not a mention anywhere in the literature to do this. I guess that is what Customer Support is for. 😀

So, here it is , ready to go.

20230822_121508.jpg

Grand kids are coming on Friday to play on the Water Slide and they like Cheeseburgers!
Who am I to argue?

Coming up quickly to temp is one thing neither Big Z or MM does well. The MM is faster because it only has the grease deflector above the fire pot, and by virtue there is only about half the cu ft internally to heat up. Big Z OTOH has a flame deflector just above the fire pot, then the large grease tray over that, and it's body is nearly twice as big.
That is one thing I am envious of with you SF guys and one reason I darn near pulled the trigger on one though quite honestly given the level of performance I get from each. I cannot fault them or myself for not having my $$$$ worth. Considering I paid $199 for MM and $699 for Big Z brand new.
So they are a little slower to heat up to high heats? I'm only into them both for $800

Back