Electrical Question

Like the man said, “It’s all Greek to me!”
Good luck Larry,
Sorry to hear about the upcoming surgery, will keep you in prayers!
Not me, wife.
Actual electrician who came out (ostensibly to look things over and give a proposal) said no issue with upgrading to 200. Also it will be 2 separate feeds to the individual boxes. Also talked this over with a commercial electrician and a building engineer familiar with this, who both gave their blessing to how we're going to get it done. Really the only possible issue anticipated is the corrosion on the meter lugs.

Really the only possible issue anticipated is the corrosion on the meter lugs.
If you’re upgrading an existing 100A to 200A service the electrician should be installing a new 200A rated meter can as well as larger conductors from the weather head down to handle the increased load. The meter itself is already rated for 200A so that’s not an issue. Unless your service drop from the pole is currently old and undersized, I doubt the utility will need to upgrade anything on their end. The utility I worked for (PSE&G) in NJ fed both 100A and 200A with #2 aluminum but 4/0 aluminum was required on the customer’s side after our attachment point. You don’t see much copper on residential services anymore. We supplied the new meter can for free and maintained the connections inside going forward, I know that’s not the case everywhere.

Last edited:
Coming to the meter on feed side it looks like 0 gauge. Currently 2 gauge aluminum from meter to panel. Will be installing 3 gauge copper for runs between meter and panels. Everything is there to supply a single 200 amp panel. with no issue so I am assured by both electricians and an engineer the route being taken is fine.
Honestly I was just worried about the lugs of the meter being corroded into the socket

It should be okay, I believe you said it’s a new Smart meter so it hasn’t been in that long. Just give the plastic that holds the jaws in place a good visual check for cracks before yanking that meter out. It can become very brittle if there was any over heating due do a loose connection behind the meter. I’ve also seen a lot of broken jaw blocks due to the previous meter installer being “over zealous” and leaving a booby trap for the next tech.

It should be okay, I believe you said it’s a new Smart meter so it hasn’t been in that long. Just give the plastic that holds the jaws in place a good visual check for cracks before yanking that meter out. It can become very brittle if there was any over heating due do a loose connection behind the meter. I’ve also seen a lot of broken jaw blocks due to the previous meter installer being “over zealous” and leaving a booby trap for the next tech.
Honestly that is our biggest fear. Which is why I posed the original question. IIRC it's only been about 3 or 4 years since they installed the new meters

Ahh, job is DONE! (well except I have not installed the whole house surge protection yet. A little bit of a Novella follows. So maybe pour a cup o' Joe and enjoy :D
So, the plan started out ambitiously enough. All things equal we should have been done by noon or so. Well, the job lasted until nearly 20:00! We pulled the meter. No drama. Got my generator running and ran extension cords into basement window for lights and to keep my network/security running best we could. Meter pulled and into the main primary breaker box to loosen the clamps on that blasted aluminum cable running in. 2 lugs loosened right up. but one of them was somewhat "blackened". Try as much as we could, nothing freed it. We finally removed the main breaker, cut that cable, and slid the clamp out of the box. Only to find back of the box melted and somewhat "burned" (see the photos). Well buddy said "we're screwed". Well being the old panel was Siemens and I found out I could use old Siemens breakers in the new style but not vice' verse' I'd in anticipation bought a new Siemens box. Well as luck would have it even though direct replacement it would not accept the incoming cables as anticipated, but a quick check showed another "matching" Square D Homeline 100 amp, 20 space would. So back to Menards, bought a bunch of assorted Square D Breakers and another 100 Amp 20 Space Sq D box to match the other.
Got the old Siemens off and we were able to fit the Sq D like it was made for it. With one exception. Because of how the power was run into the house, the main panel was installed as some might call it, "upside down". Main is on the bottom. Was not the first time I've seen a panel done like this.
The ordeal was getting the rats nest the builder's (so called professional) electrician had left us out of the original, cleaned up, run into, sorted and reset into it. This was GRUELING especially because my friend and I both have the same malady. Our thumbs under extended stress and use, "lock up" solid. To the point you cannot even pull them straight. Much pain, much cussing out the previous fool, and wondering how our big fine bodies had aged into this mess :D
FWIW my little 3500W Inverter Generator ran flawlessly and MAYBE used a gal of fuel over the close to 11 hours we were using it. And 2 weeks prior (which was the first time it was ever used since buying it 4 years earlier) my daughter ended up running it 3 days straight because of no power thanks to the huge storms we had. Time for an oil change.
In the end we got power back on and house up and running fully by about 20:00 last night. And I just put the covers on this AM. Who knows maybe in another 40 years I'll have to do it again :D :D20240603_154849.jpg20240603_154929.jpg20240808_130643.jpg20240809_103048.jpg20240809_103058.jpg20240809_103219.jpg20240809_103401.jpg20240809_103412.jpg20240809_103440.jpg20240809_103528.jpg20240809_103540.jpg20240809_103605.jpg20240809_103610.jpg20240809_111702.jpg20240809_111739.jpg20240809_111747.jpg

Congratulations! That charred panel is a pucker moment for sure!

3rd picture shows what appears to be a plumbing waste line above/forward of panels. Make sure no way it can drip on a panel should it leak. That proximity to a panel would not pass here.

Yowzers.

As I keep telling a friend of mine up northwest of you, I'm gonna keep living vicariously through your experiences, and be quite happy to not personally experience such.

Congratulations! That charred panel is a pucker moment for sure!

3rd picture shows what appears to be a plumbing waste line above/forward of panels. Make sure no way it can drip on a panel should it leak. That proximity to a panel would not pass here.
There is more than waste lines above that panel.. There are hot/cold water lines, my kitchen sink and my dishwasher along with it's hookup in the pipe just out of eye sight. Any of which could do a number I am sure.
I can drive someone around my neighborhood, and point out houses that have gone up in flames all emanating at the exact spot the breaker panel is at and all built in the same time frame from the same builder. Given the 2 "near" fires I've had in that panel I can now understand why.
IDK if these were "union" electricians doing this work or not, but all the work was signed off on by a so called "building inspector"
IN any case it's sure lucky these things were caught before we had the same fate as many other homes in the area.

Glad it is sorted out. I've never had the "pleasure" fixing older electrical.

Usually it is older plumbing and its the same saga. Three trips ( at least ) for the next round of parts needed and lots of cursing.

Usually the plumber goes first followed by HVAC then sparkeys last.
That's on them and the builder. I wouldnt want to put a snake in that cleanout.:rolleyes:

There is more than waste lines above that panel.. There are hot/cold water lines, my kitchen sink and my dishwasher along with it's hookup in the pipe just out of eye sight. Any of which could do a number I am sure.
I can drive someone around my neighborhood, and point out houses that have gone up in flames all emanating at the exact spot the breaker panel is at and all built in the same time frame from the same builder. Given the 2 "near" fires I've had in that panel I can now understand why.
IDK if these were "union" electricians doing this work or not, but all the work was signed off on by a so called "building inspector"
IN any case it's sure lucky these things were caught before we had the same fate as many other homes in the area.
I had a house where a drain line was about 30” forward of a panel at the ceiling. Panel was hot by then and no option to move plumbing.

I had a metal “rain shield” built that was screwed to ceiling of unfinished space to ensure not possible for drippage on panel. Was a PIA.

I have also had to move plumbing and ductwork as too close to a hot panel. Not fun either.

Older homes are a PIA. My current one is a 1987 build we bought used. Still finding the skeletons

Ya'll are makin' me feel better about this house again. Electrical, telecom and AC (okay, now heat pump) are in about a 6' section of exterior wall, and the drain mainline and main water are 20' away on another wall.

Older homes are a PIA. My current one is a 1987 build we bought used. Still finding the skeletons
Mines a tri level from 1960. This whole subdivision was built for the people who worked across the Fox river for CAT.
Largest unincorporated subdividion ( Boulder Hill )in the US at one time. Two wire romex, no ground. 60Amp service screw in fuses.
Single 2" x 12" header on the inside ( where the inspector can see it ) and a piece of 1/2" and a 2" x 4 ' on the outside.
Job built trusses with hand nailed gussets.

Mines a tri level from 1960. This whole subdivision was built for the people who worked across the Fox river for CAT.
Largest unincorporated subdividion ( Boulder Hill )in the US at one time. Two wire romex, no ground. 60Amp service screw in fuses.
Single 2" x 12" header on the inside ( where the inspector can see it ) and a piece of 1/2" and a 2" x 4 ' on the outside.
Job built trusses with hand nailed gussets.
Umm...... yah. Just barely enough to pass inspections.

I hardly call homes built in the 80s (even the 70s) "older". Of course in my mind 10 years ago is 1994 :D But seriously by 1970s at least builders should have been doing better by then.
But the electrician(s) in my house must have been the 3 Stooges (plumbers as well). I can't tell you all how many electrical junctions I I found joined with strapping tape. Not electrical tape. I could drive you around the subdivision and point out the houses that had serious to nearly totally destroyed by electrical fires. Some of them you can trace the burn up the back right where the service comes in

Back