Electrical Question

Wow that was a lot of work. Looks like a bad connection (loose) on the old main breaker feed lug took out the original panel. Melted the plastic behind the lug and made that hole. Good thing the lug didn't touch the back of the panel. That would have been a spectacular short, with the only protection being the transformer fuse somewhere down the street.

One thing I saw in the photos. There is a bonding screw in the neutral connecting bar in the right hand panel (green screw near the input lug). The left panel seems to not have one. Do you know if it got added? Since these are both considered "main panels" I think they each need a bonding screw. Without the screw, that enclosure is not grounded. If you don't see the green screw in there maybe ask the guy about it?

No it didn't get added. Neither of us could see a reason for it. We put it in one, but, it seemed superfluous. There is a 1" thick ground rod outside, it's bonded to the outside box, Then a 3 ga ground from there also bound to both box and rod, then internally in both boxes the panels are solidly bound to, the huge grounded rod and outside box, and again fully bound internally as well. Only thing we could think of would have been to run a 6ga ground wire between the 2 "bonding screws". We just could not feel or see anywhere there would be a benefit. I may still connect them, but everything is so close in side there, I will likely want to turn off the mains yet again. Just not sure it's worth the trouble. How grounded is grounded? :D

Back