Eating our way through the freezer

We keep a list of what is in our freezer. About every 3 months we have to double check the list. We either forget to cross off what we used or forget to add new items going in.

But lately, there has been very little going in. I told DH that I want to use up what is in the freezer and when that is done, buy only what we are going to eat real soon. I think sitting in the freezer for too long has changed the taste of the meat.

I tend to buy to much. Its the “great price” or “cool, I’ll do something with that”. Next thing i know......full.

next step is to pick out a new fridge. Mines 15 and making noises.

I have a problem when I see meat on sale I just cant resist!!! I have been trying to go through my freezer and I really didn't realize how much meat I had packed away!!! I did make make up a excel spread sheet that I have been picking through.

I recently went in on a 1/2 a pig and 1/4 cow I might need to get another freezer!!!

I am not opposed to "eating one's way through the freezer" and not to be snarky, but why not just buy the new freezer and move the food from the old one into it. This would allow inventory and placing it such as to rotate the stock.

... but if you are on a mission, make sure you have plenty of propane for the grill;)

Barb and I have two fridge/freezers and an upright freezer all which are full. I like some others said I'm a sucker for a meat sale. But we do date and inventory everything that's in the freezers. We meal plan on a weekly basis and always try to use the oldest first.
I'm also a fan of trying new recipes, we have our favorites but we always try something new at least twice a week or more.
I have over 1400 recipes I've stored in binders, so I never run out of new things to try.
In the winter I don't grill very much as I don't get along with cold weather. I have my Instant Pot and my two winter Weber's (slow cookers) plus my cast iron pans and Dutch ovens to keep me entertained.

I hear you all. I got rid of the freezer in the garage and now my 2 freezer draws are darn full. I do have lots of charcoal and propane. Living in NorCal, wether allows for year round grilling and smoke (fires permitting🤣).

I have 4 kids and have spent a large part of my life cooking for 6 or 8 everyday. Now it’s just to of us and cooking for 2 has been a much larger challenge then I would have figured. My eyes still are too big......

But lately, there has been very little going in. I told DH that I want to use up what is in the freezer and when that is done, buy only what we are going to eat real soon. I think sitting in the freezer for too long has changed the taste of the meat.
I would like to hear others opinion on this. It might just be my taste buds getting too darn old. lol

Joan, I think food stored too long in the freezer looses some flavour, especially if it is frost free, but I have no scientific facts to prove it. I also think my tastebuds are losing their sensitivity as I age. My kids comment on tastes in food at mealtime that I don’t even taste. And some foods I loved don’t give me the joy they used to. 🙁

We, I started this thread and I must confess I have a problem….. we spent a few months eating everything in the freezer. Now it’s getting too full yet again. The was a suggestion to get a separate freezer. It kinda scary 😳 to think what I would end up with if I got one.

Oh well, guess we need to eat our way through the freezer yet again…. I have a problem 🤔🤫🤫🤫

I started that same project a while back, then I saw a squirrel! I really need to clear some room in both the fridge freezer and chest freezer, I really gotta!

thanks for the freezer reminder. i just pulled out a few chicken breasts, one lamb shank, 4 pork butt char siu sized steaks and one pack of cooked chickpeas for more humus. now i have to warm the house up some so i can get some of this to defrost to choose a dinner item. the rest will get cooked off this weekend.

Barb and I had in the garage a14cf. freezer that was stuffed to the gills plus a 16cf. refrigerator and a 23cf. refrigerator in the house. Now we have a 22cf, freezer to replace the 14cf. I sold and it's now full. There is just the two of us and the pups. But like I said before I'm a sucker for meat sales and with Barb working at a grocery store with a full service meat dept. along with her employee discounts it's just too easy to get good deals.
She just brought home three 1 1/2 thick T bones and paid $3.79 Lb. how can I say no.

I am in the same boat. I bought a small chest freezer so I could organize my my side by side fridge / freezer that was too stuffed and hard to find stuff. It worked well for a while, but now both are too full and we are also starting to eat our way through them.

I am in the same boat. I bought a small chest freezer so I could organize my my side by side fridge / freezer that was too stuffed and hard to find stuff. It worked well for a while, but now both are too full and we are also starting to eat our way through them.
I’ll be pulling frozen stock out today to make some soup for dinner. I seem to have a bunch of frozen chicken stock pucks floating around in my freezers (2).

I’ll be pulling frozen stock out today to make some soup for dinner. I seem to have a bunch of frozen chicken stock pucks floating around in my freezers (2).
I got tired of filling my freezer with stock and also wanted it to last in case of power failure. I bought a Presto 23 qt canner and now can it and store it on shelves in the basement. I tried the same with soup but finds it over cooks the veggies and changes the taste so I just do the stock and make soup from the stock and freeze that if I make a lot.

Back