Eat Your Spice Rack

Fresh basil.
Fresh basil would not be sitting in a spice rack going stale, but how about we use both fresh and dried? Is that ok with you Brett?
Spicy Chicken with Fresh Thai Basil, 'Gai Pad Horapa'

1 Pound Chicken Breast
9 Cloves Garlic
24 Green Chiles
2.5 tbsp Fish Sauce
2 tsp Sugar
1 Cup Fresh Thai Basil
1 Handful Dried Holy Basil
1/4 Cup Water

Put the dried holy basil into a bowl with hot water. Let it sit for 15 minutes, then drain and gently squeeze it to get rid of excess water.

Pound the fresh Thai chiles and the garlic together in a mortar and pestle, into a rough mix (don't pound it too much, it should not be a fine paste).

In a wok heat 3 tablespoons vegetable oil over medium high heat. Add chile/garlic mixture and stir-fry for just a minute. Add chicken with 1/4 cup water. Let cook until the chicken is no longer pink (about 5 minutes). Add fish sauce and palm sugar. Mix well, then add holy basil. Stir-fry another minute or two, then add fresh basil. Mix well, turn off heat, and serve hot with jasmine rice. Enjoy!

Source: Import Foods, https://importfood.com/component/yoorecipe/recipe/1236

Thanks Jepprey, a recipe with BOTH!!!!!!!!!

Hope you don't mind if I don't make it. 24 green chiles!!!!! WOW:eek:🥵

Thanks Jepprey, a recipe with BOTH!!!!!!!!!

Hope you don't mind if I don't make it. 24 green chiles!!!!! WOW:eek:🥵
No problem, Joan.

Yes, sorry. Even those Thai green chiles are known to be hot.

Maybe riff off of the original recipe and just use one or two alternative peppers that are more appropriate heat level?

Love your avocation for new food creations.

I got fresh only, growing like a weed!
Italian Basil
Thai Basil
Lemon Basil
Wild Basil (tree basil or African basil)

It's been a while and no one has posted any recipes using basil, so let's try another spice/herb.

GINGER (also fresh or powder)

Not only does this recipe call for both fresh and ground ginger, it also gets cooked on the grill!!

Grilled Ginger-Orange Chicken with Ginger Sauce

Marinade:
1 1/2 cups peanut oil
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup honey
12" piece GINGER root, peeled and minced
1/3 cup ground GINGER powder
2 TB. ground coriander

1 large chicken plus 2 legs (about 4 lbs.) cut into serving pieces

Sauce:
1/2 cup corn syrup
3 TB. rice wine vinegar
3 TB. fresh lime juice
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4" piece GINGER root, peeled and finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste
Cilantro sprigs, for garnish

Marinade: Place the oil in a bowl. Slowly add the orange juice, whisking all the while to make a smooth emulsion. Slowly add the soy sauce and honey, whisking all the while. Add the ginger and coriander; mix well. Marinate chicken for 1 to 2 days in the refrigerator.

Sauce: Combine all the ingredients except the cilantro in a nonreactive bowl; mix well and season with salt and pepper.

Grill till meat is cooked to the bone about 35 to 40 minutes depending on the heat of your grill. Garnish with cilantro and serve with the sauce.

I posted this recipe almost 2 years ago. Time to bump it up.

To quote Steven Raichlen - "Barbecue without beer would be like, well, life without breathing."

Belgian Beer Marinade

2 cups of your favorite beer
1/4 cup honey mustard
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp. coarse salt (kosher or sea)
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1/2 green or red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
4 scallions chopped
4 cloves garlic, smashed
2 slices fresh GINGER, smashed
1 TB. pickling spice
1 TB. paprika
1/2 tsp. caraway seeds

Combine the beer, mustard, oil, salt and pepper in a nonreactive mixing bowl and stir or whisk until the salt crystals are dissolved. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Transfer to a large jar, cover and refrigerate. The marinade will keep for 3 days. Goes best with beef, pork and chicken. Marinate large pieces overnight, medium size for 4 to 6 hours and small boneless pieces for 2 to 4 hours, covered in the refrigerator.

Source: Barbecue Bible Sauces, Rubs and Marinades - Steven Raichlen

Need a new salad dressing?

Ginger-Orange Dressing

1/4 cup fresh orange juice
4 tsp. vegetable oil or evoo
1 TB. minced scallions
1 tsp. minced peeled GINGER
1/2 tsp. grated orange zest
1/4 tsp. minced garlic
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Whisk together all ingredients until well blended

Source: Eating Well mag. July 1992

And then there is the WORLD'S FAMOUS................

BENIHANA GINGER SAUCE

1/4 cup coarse-chopped onions
1 small piece GINGERroot (about 1/2"), peeled, or 1/8 tsp. ground dried GINGER
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar (NOT seasoned)

Combine all the ingredients in a blender or a food processor fitted with the metal blade and process until smooth. Makes about 1 cup

Source: Sun Sentinel-April 1997

Just curious, am I the only one here that likes GINGER?

(and don't say you like Mary Ann better, I get that all the time from DH. lol)

This recipe does not use very much GINGER, but it sounds too good to pass up.

Peach-Glazed Ribs

3 to 4 lbs. pork baby back ribs, cut into serving size pieces
1 15 1/2oz can of peach halves, drained
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup honey
2 TB. brown sugar
1 tsp. sesame seeds, toasted
1 garlic clove, peeled
1/4 tsp. ground GINGER

1. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Place ribs over drip pan. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 60 minutes, turning occasionally.
2. Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the remaining ingredients; cover and process until smooth. Baste ribs.
3. Grill ribs until the meat is tender and the juices run clear, 15-20 minutes longer, basting occasionally with the remaining sauce.

Source: Taste of Home mag. 6-2019

I already posted this recipe but thought I would add it to the GINGER thread here. Can't get enough GINGER recipes. lol

Spicy Georgian Peach Vinegar

1 lime
2 medium-sized peaches, peeled and sliced thin
2 nickel-size slices fresh ginger, smashed flat
1 1/4 cups rice wine vinegar

1. Carefully peel half of the zest off the lime in one long strip, being sure not to cut off the bitter pith. Place peach slices, ginger and lime zest in a 16 oz. glass bottle or jar.
2. In a saucepan over low heat, warm the vinegar until hot but not boiling. Immediately pour through funnel into bottle, leaving just enough room for the stopper or cork. Close and store in a cool, dark place. Makes about 2 cups

Source: SS 7-90

Well, it's been quite a while. Anyone have a herb or spice they would like to find some use for?

Someone must have something sitting in their spice rack a little bit too long. It will only take you a few minutes to go look and it will make me very happy. ;) Thank you!!!!!!

Someone must have something sitting in their spice rack a little bit too long. It will only take you a few minutes to go look and it will make me very happy. ;) Thank you!!!!!!
Thyme. It’s an easy one. Go for it.

I was going to choose Zaatar but don’t know who knows what that is here 😂

Thyme. It’s an easy one. Go for it.

I was going to choose Zaatar but don’t know who knows what that is here 😂
Brett, first, THANK YOU!!!!

Second, let's kill two birds with one stone, since Za'atar is made with Thyme and also is the Arabic word for Thyme.

But who here has zaatar besides me? 😂😂😂
ME!!!!!

I don't know if there is any left, but here is what I made some years ago and posted on my cooking game. I made it to use the Sumac we had.

ZA'ATAR
1/4 cup sumac
2 TB. Thyme
1 TB roasted sesame seeds
2 TB. marjoram
2 TB. oregano
1 tsp. coarse salt

Combine a few TB. of the Za'atar with lemon zest, lemon juice and olive oil and use it to marinate chicken, shrimp, fish or meats and grill. We serve it with a simple salad and some couscous on the side. It is one of our favorite quick and simple meals.

ME!!!!!

I don't know if there is any left, but here is what I made some years ago and posted on my cooking game. I made it to use the Sumac we had.

ZA'ATAR
1/4 cup sumac
2 TB. Thyme
1 TB roasted sesame seeds
2 TB. marjoram
2 TB. oregano
1 tsp. coarse salt

Combine a few TB. of the Za'atar with lemon zest, lemon juice and olive oil and use it to marinate chicken, shrimp, fish or meats and grill. We serve it with a simple salad and some couscous on the side. It is one of our favorite quick and simple meals.
I stand corrected. It’s two of us that eat zaatar.

Back