Eat Your Spice Rack

Hi Tim, hope you're still on a CUMIN kick, look what I found!!

Barbecue Bean Soup

3 cups chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 TB. chili powder
2 TB. GROUND CUMIN
1 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
two 32 oz. cans tomatoes including the juice, chopped
three 16 oz. cans pink beans or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
two 7 oz. bottles roasted red peppers, rinsed, drained and chopped
3 1/2 cups beef broth
1/4 cup molasses
1 TB. Tabasco
2 tsp. cider vinegar or to taste

1. In a kettle cook the onion and garlic in the oil over moderate heat, stirring, until the onion is softened, stir in the chili powder, CUMIN, allspice, cloves and simmer for 1 minute.
2. Add the tomatoes with the juice, beans, red pepper, broth, molasses, Tabasco and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Simmer the soup, covered partially and stir occasionally for 1 1/2 hours.
4. Stir the vinegar into the soup and simmer until it is heated through.
Makes about 13 cups, serving 8

Source: Gourmet mag. 2/93

NUTMEG

Yes, it's that time of year to get out your nutmegs!!!!!

What do you like to put your nutmeg on? Have a favorite drink? How about a nice cake? That will sure make your kitchen smell good, Or maybe a spicy chicken dinner? Ever put NUTMEG in your meatballs? Maybe a nice ham dinner for Christmas? Tired of the same ol spinach recipe? Here is a quick and easy one for dinner soon.

Yogurt Creamed Spinach

1 lb. fresh spinach
1 small onion, grated
1/2 tsp. NUTMEG
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup plain yogurt

Wash spinach leaves and trim off roots and stems. Place in a skillet with a small amount of water. Add onion,, NUTMEG and pepper. Cook, covered, over low heat, until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well. Toss with yogurt and serve. Makes about 4 servings.

Source: SS 3/90

Here is my problem. This thread has 1K. So, until it turns to 2K, I have no way of knowing if even 1 person has viewed this thread. If you don't mind, IF you do view this thread and have nothing to post on it, would you at least let me know you saw it? Maybe a thumbs up, a simple HI, or maybe just a NO. Something please, Ok?

Alton Brown Uncooked Egg Nog

I make this every year, the poor stand mixer is very underutilized.

4 egg yolks

1/3 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon

1 pint whole milk

1 cup heavy cream

3 ounces bourbon

1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

4 egg whites*

DIRECTIONS
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Add the milk, cream,bourbon and nutmeg and stir to combine.

Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat to soft peaks. With the mixer still running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.

Whisk the egg whites into the mixture. Chill and serve.

NUTMEG

Yes, it's that time of year to get out your nutmegs!!!!!

What do you like to put your nutmeg on? Have a favorite drink? How about a nice cake? That will sure make your kitchen smell good, Or maybe a spicy chicken dinner? Ever put NUTMEG in your meatballs? Maybe a nice ham dinner for Christmas? Tired of the same ol spinach recipe? Here is a quick and easy one for dinner soon.

Yogurt Creamed Spinach

1 lb. fresh spinach
1 small onion, grated
1/2 tsp. NUTMEG
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup plain yogurt

Wash spinach leaves and trim off roots and stems. Place in a skillet with a small amount of water. Add onion,, NUTMEG and pepper. Cook, covered, over low heat, until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well. Toss with yogurt and serve. Makes about 4 servings.

Source: SS 3/90
Well, I don't think I can give a true review of this recipe. DH did make it last night for dinner, but used frozen spinach, a little onion, and not too much nutmeg. It was just OK

Cold weather, time for something to make us nice and warm and cozy and calling for CURRY!!!!!

Come on, let's see some recipes here. OK?

If you are saying to yourself, Curry, no way, I don't like curry, then maybe you are just thinking of the curry powder you can buy in the grocery store.
There are so many different ways to fix Curry. There is bound to be at least one way that you will like. For example, here is one way to make your own spice blend.

Brennan's Homemade Curry Powder

6 TB. coriander seeds
4 TB. cumin seeds
6 to 8 dried red chilies
3/4 TB. whole black peppercorns
3/4 TB. black mustard seeds
2 TB. ground turmeric
2 TB. ground fenugreek

1. Heat the oven to 300 degrees. Line a baking pan with foil and place the whole spices in separate heaps upon it (this is done so you can remove the smaller pieces when they are ready). Place the pan on the top shelf of the oven until the spices become aromatic and are slightly browned. Do not over-roast them.
2. Place the roasted spices (in several batches) into a spice grinder, a blender or a mortar and grind or pound to a fine powder. Put them into a storage jar. Add the preground turmeric and fenugreek, cap the jar and shake until the spices are well mixed. Makes 5 oz.

Source: The Miami Herald-10/11/90 - Jennifer Brennan (author of many curry cookbooks and such)

Last edited:
If you are saying to yourself, Curry, no way, I don't like curry, then maybe you are just thinking of the curry powder you can buy in the grocery store.
There are so many different ways to fix Curry. There is bound to be at least one way that you will like. For example, here is one way to make your own spice blend.

Brennan's Homemade Curry Powder

6 TB. coriander seeds
4 TB. cumin seeds
6 to 8 dried red chilies
3/4 TB. whole black peppercorns
3/4 TB. black mustard seeds
2 TB. ground turmeric
2 TB. ground fenugreek

1. Heat the oven to 300 degrees. Line a baking pan with foil and place the whole spices in separate heaps upon it (this is done so you can remove the smaller pieces when they are ready). Place the pan on the top shelf of the oven until the spices become aromatic and are slightly browned. Do not over-roast them.
2. Place the roasted spices (in several batches) into a spice grinder, a blender or a mortar and grind or pound to a fine powder. Put them into a storage jar. Add the preground turmeric and fenugreek, cap the jar and shake until the spices are well mixed. Makes 5 oz.

Source: The Miami Herald-10/11/90 - Jennifer Brennan

Last edited:
What the heck does that mean? lol (I guess I am too old to know)

Thai food has three curries, red, green and yellow. The yellow one is so flavorful. Try it if you haven't. Go for Thai food for dinner or lunch today and order some.

Brett, I meant, what do you mean by saying "is bomb". I didn't know if that meant you liked it or you did not like it. And yes, I have been cooking and eating Thai food for more years than I would like to admit to. lol

As a matter of fact, there is a recipe in our Make Soon folder for "Thai Spareribs" waiting to be made.

1641411743465.png

Last edited:
Since we don't seem to have anyone here that likes Curry, how about something else?

Any suggestions?

Back