Eat Your Spice Rack

Made this a little over a month ago and completely forgot about it. It got a "Very Good" rating from us both. ;)

Za'atar Chicken Thighs with Pearl Couscous

8 small skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 1/2 lbs.)
Kosher salt
5 TB. Za'atar
1 TB. sumac
7 TB. extra-virgin olive oil
1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
1/4 cup golden raisins
1 1/2 cups pearl couscous
1 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
1/4 cup pomegranate seeds

1. Season the chicken generously with salt. Mix together 3 TB. Za'atar, the sumac and 3 TB. olive oil in a large bowl. Add the chicken and toss to coat.
2. Heat 2 TB. olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until shimmering. Add the chicken skin side down and cook until lightly browned and crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Flip and cook until browned on other side, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove to a plate.
3. Reduce the heat to medium and add the red onion to the pan. Cook until lightly browned and tender, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the raisins and couscous and cook, stirring until lightly toasted, about 30 seconds. Add the chicken broth and parsley, then return the chicken to the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the couscous in tender and the chicken is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, stir the remaining 2 TB. Za'atar and 2 TB. olive oil in a small bowl. Divide the chicken and couscous among plates. Drizzle the chicken with the Za'atar oil and top the couscous with the mint and pomegranate seeds.

Source: Food Network mag. Nov. 2022

Just found this in one of my new cooking magazine.

Need a new party starter for the holidays?

Za'atar Fire Crackers

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup Za'atar
1 tsp garlic powder
Freshly ground black pepper
8 oz. saltine crackers (about 2 sleeves)

1. Combine olive oil, vegetable oil, Za'atar, garlic powder and a few grinds of pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Massage bag to mix. Add saltines and seal bag. Turn and gently shake to coat crackers. Let sit at room temperature 8-10 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 250. Bake crackers on a rimmed baking sheet until golden and crisp, 13 to 17 minutes. Let cool.
Crackers can be baked 5 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature. 6 to 8 servings

Source: Bon Appetit mag. Nov. 2022

Anyone have some good ideas of what can be served on these crackers?
babaganoush, hummus (different kinds of hummus like chickpea, white bean) matbucha, thinly sliced roasted eggplant pieces, roasted pepper spread. just to list a few.

Hi Anne, yes they do sound good as is. I was thinking something along the lines of simple and easy like maybe cream cheese. I'm working on trying to get DH to make this. So, any type of CHEESE. ;)

Someone must have something sitting in their spice rack a little bit too long. It will only take you a few minutes to go look and it will make me very happy. ;) Thank you!!!!!!
Time to make me happy again. :giggle:

Back