Eastern North Carolina-Style BBQ Sauce
  • 1.5 cups apple cider vinegar
  • 1 cup Texas Pete Original Hot Sauce
  • 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Whisk together to combine.

You've heard the expression "fools rush in where angels fear to tread"? Well, even those fools won't get involved in any discussion that concerns NC bbq sauces. The eastern vs. western vs. Lexington debate makes Ford vs Chevy, chocolate vs vanilla, and even Ginger vs Mary Ann look like genteel discussions held in the parlor at Downton Abbey. I hope Cook's Country is prepared for the purists who will come out of the woodwork to tell them what is "wrong" about their recipe. At least they didn't put ketchup in it. Personally, having been born and raised in NC and living here for most of my life, I like it all. Anyone who insists that theirs is the only true and authentic NC bbq is welcome to send me about ten pounds of it as proof. I might even agree. :)

East, West, North or South - What difference does it make. Thank you Chris for the recipe. That is what is important here. At least you are contributing to this site more than just pictures of burnt meat. lol!

Larry, that earns a good golf clap here.

I've been saying for years when somebody tells me they like 'cue. Wait a minute.... There's Central Texas, there's Kansas City, there's Alabama, there's a bunch on the Eastern seaboard. Whaddya like for protein, how do you feel about marinades & rubs, sauces are a whole 'nuther Civil War.

Larry, that earns a good golf clap here.

I've been saying for years when somebody tells me they like 'cue. Wait a minute.... There's Central Texas, there's Kansas City, there's Alabama, there's a bunch on the Eastern seaboard. Whaddya like for protein, how do you feel about marinades & rubs, sauces are a whole 'nuther Civil War.
Help me out here please. What do you mean?

Help me out here please. What do you mean?

There ain't no such thing as just "barbecue."

In it's most elemental form, it's a protein such as meat or fish, seasoned and/or marinated, cooked low and slow (usually with smoke,) and possibly dressed with a sauce or two. What does central Texas brisket have in common with Alabama white chicken? Talking about any of the various components is an invitation to to a donnybrooke. Personally, I am not a fish sort, I don't care for mustard, and I prefer minimal treatments of seasonings and sauces. There are people out there who want ribs seasoned with a rub with a couple of dozen ingredients, and sauced with a rich sauce heavy on vinegar.

As far as I'm concerned, they're all good. Some are more to my personal taste. To some people, their particular style is The One True Way. I was referring to Larry's comments on how NC views barbecue & sauces, but really, IMO, it's not just NC.

Years ago at Masterson Station Park during the “Festival Of The Bluegrass” there was a stand selling grilled pork chop sandwiches using a sauce developed at UK which was not red or mustard based and was absolutely delightful! The recipe above looks interesting and worth a shot.
Anyone know of the recipe I’m remembering?

You mean if I said I liked fried seafood, I would have to specify which seafood? I also like cake (yikes, how many thousand different cakes are there?)

Me either.
Cook and eat what makes you happy and don’t let anyone tell you how specific you have to be in conversation.
Right now I’m having a pastrami sandwich with peanuts! I’m just calling it “Lunch”

You mean if I said I liked fried seafood, I would have to specify which seafood? I also like cake (yikes, how many thousand different cakes are there?)

Well, no.... maybe I didn't say it well above. I have a problem with the proclaimers who say "xxx is the only thing..." To use your example, it's cool. Saying that fried seafood is the only way to go is a different story. I might not care for mutton barbecue, I know people who love it. I'd say it's not to my taste, not that mutton barbecue never should be served.

DH has some pork butt cooking in the slow cooker. While looking up something to put on it, I saw this. Chris, here is another version, if interested. I think I will be able to handle the 1 TB. of hot sauce. lol

Eastern North Carolina Sauce
"In eastern North Carolina, spiced vinegar sauce offsets the richness of pork."

1 cup distilled white vinegar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 TB. sugar
1 TB. crushed red chile flakes
1 TB. hot sauce
1 TB. kosher salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. paprika

Combine. Makes 2 cups

Source: Saveur mag. June 2011

DH has some pork butt cooking in the slow cooker. While looking up something to put on it, I saw this. Chris, here is another version, if interested. I think I will be able to handle the 1 TB. of hot sauce. lol

Eastern North Carolina Sauce
"In eastern North Carolina, spiced vinegar sauce offsets the richness of pork."

1 cup distilled white vinegar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 TB. sugar
1 TB. crushed red chile flakes
1 TB. hot sauce
1 TB. kosher salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. paprika

Combine. Makes 2 cups

Source: Saveur mag. June 2011
Joan,
That’s very similar to the recipe I use for Eastern NC sauce. Ingredients aren’t the same but I expect the end results would be close.

Hi Jeff, I sure hope this sauce recipe is good because I think DH is going to make it today for me. He is going to make another sauce for himself, but it calls for more mustard than I care for. I hate to admit this, but I have been on a Salt & Vinegar Potato Chip kick for some weeks now and I like the idea of all the vinegar in this sauce. What is in the sauce you use?

Back