Easter Leg of Lamb on the Rotisserie

Chris in Louisiana

TVWBB All-Star
Picked up about a 5 lb. boneless leg of lamb at Sam's and cooked it on Easter.

Started by cutting it some to open it up, then dry brined it for 24+ hours.

Then "brinerated" for about 1.5 hours with a mix of olive oil, garlic, salt, lemon, and honey. The brinerade recipe is from the Dad Cooks Dinner blog. It's a good resource for rotisserie cooking, but he's more into pressure cooking these days.

49769394522_16bcaaf39b_c.jpg

I used less charcoal than in the past because certain rotisserie items seem to go raw, raw, raw, overdone! Tried to slow it down and pull at 130.

Lit about half a chimney starter of Kingsford. Put it in the baskets, then added pieces of cherry and oak. The wood is on the table, about to go on.

49769396007_8f619ccd6b_c.jpg

Dome temp soon read about 400. Closed the bottom vent most of the way.

Started checking the meat temps after 30 minutes or so. It was slow to climb, then as usual shot up after about an hour and went past my target before I knew it.

Temp taken on the spit ranged from 135 to 155+ in spots. Took it in, and after resting it was more like 135 in most spots. The ends were medium (juicy but not pink), but the middle part was pink and medium.

49769329832_6b24cd9ee8_c.jpg

49769329007_f14e801635_c.jpg

The flavor of the meat was great, and it was nice and tender. Served with tzatziki, tabouleh, and pita (also from Sam’s, and great for making wraps/sandwiches with leftovers).

49768537843_41338607ce_c.jpg

Next time I will use the same approach but try even less charcoal in an effort to cook it slower and more evenly to about 130. I've though about trying just one basket of charcoal. Anyone ever do that?

Killer lamb, Chris! I don't get to eat it very often, as my wife doesn't like it. I'd love to have a plate of yours!

R

I Love lamb just hard to find around here we had it all the time when I was a kid. Yours looks perfect

That looks delicious. In my mind I'm eating leftovers the next day - some of that lamb chopped up with the tabouleh and tzatzi, stuffed into a pita.

In my mind I'm eating leftovers the next day - some of that lamb chopped up with the tabouleh and tzatzi, stuffed into a pita.

That's exactly what I did, two or three times.

The pita from Sam's was really more of a soft flat-bread, and it was great for wrapping around leftovers. I vacuum sealed and froze them in packets of 2 or 3 and thawed them out as needed. They stayed soft and fresh.

0003921705146_A

Next time I will use the same approach but try even less charcoal in an effort to cook it slower and more evenly to about 130. I've though about trying just one basket of charcoal. Anyone ever do that?
Yes, I've rotiss'd with just 1 pile of coals and it'll work just fine. You could also start with fewer lit coals and use the Minion Method; it looks like the coal baskets are burning pretty good in the photo.

I love lamb and I love my rotis, put them together and it's a match made in heaven! We had the same meal on Easter. If yours turned out half as good as it looks, you had one fine meal.

Back