Early Morning Pork Butt

KEhrl

TVWBB Member
Hi Everyone,

This week I finally had the opportunity to smoke my first pork butt on my WSM 14. At the grocery store they were on sale for 99c a pound! The one I picked up was a Smithfield All Natural Bone In "Butt" weighing at 7.85 lbs. For this cook I woke up early at 5AM to get the process going. Per the pork butt walkthrough on the website I trimmed off the fat cap and other large areas of fat. I'd say I ended up at around 7 lbs, although I didn't have my scale on hand to weigh.

IMG_9007.jpg

My rub was a combination of brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne, salt and pepper, probably close to half sugar in volume as I wanted a little sweetness. I used yellow mustard to adhere my rub. I started up the smoker and had the meat on the 6AM. I only used a half filled water pan to encourage higher temps from the start. I used two meat probes and an air probe for this cook. I inserted one meat probe on the under side of the bone closer to to the bottom of the grate, and the other on from the top side somewhat near the bone.

IMG_9011.jpg

After putting it on and the temps stabilizing at 255 deg, I went back to bed. At 8 when I woke up and temps were holding well. For the first 6 hours of the cook temps ranged anywhere from 250 to 265, with me making slight vent adjustments here and there if it dropped under 250 or over 275. At Noon the internal temps were 178 in the lower probe, and 168 in the upper probe. Here I applied a mop of AC Vinegar with a splash of worcestershire mixed with some rub. The bark was already looking great.

IMG_9016.jpg

At the same time the cooker had dropped to 225 cooking temps, so I decided to add some more hot coals since I knew I wouldn't be able to make another 6 or so hours. I reinvigorated what was left of the coals and lit a full chimney (I have the camper chimney). While the coals heated up the smoker shot up to 285 degrees! Really odd and here I wish I'd waited to re-light, but the chimney was already lit. I added the new coals and refilled the water pan since it was completely empty (maybe why it got up to 285?). For the rest of the cook I ranged in temps from 225 to 250, even adding another half chimney of coals at one point to keep temps up. At 530 the meat thermometers read 190 lower and 182 upper. I used my instant read and probed a few spots, seeing ~195 in a few areas. With dinner approaching and my coals on life support I decided to pull.

IMG_9017.jpg
I wrapped it in foil and let it sit for about an hour and a half in a cooler. The bark was everything I'd hope it'd be and the bone came out pretty clean! The pork pulled generally well using two large forks, some spots tougher than others and some very tender, but that's probably due to the different muscle groups in the cut of meat. My fiance' had hers with a Carolina Gold Sauce we bought from Trader Joes and I whipped up a little Eastern NC Vinegar Sauce. We ate this with a side of Hawaiian Mac Salad, and I also made some beans.

IMG_9018.jpg IMG_9019.jpg

All in all I was happy with my first pork butt experience. To date it's the longest I've ran my smoker (12 hours) and I think it performed well. Next time I'd like to alot for some more time to get closer to 200/205 internal temps. I'll probably have to do an over-nighter to achieve this, but right now am reluctant to do so as I keep my cooker/do my cooks at my future in-laws house! Regarding the relights I hope to show more patience in the future. I probably jumped the gun at Noon and could've waited longer after reinvigorating the coals. This probably would've prevented needing the second half re-light I mentioned. With the re-filled water pan I am wondering if that kept my temps too low in the second half of the cook, maybe I leave it empty next time? I think cooking at 250-275 could keep this type of cook in a reasonable 12-14 hours. Hope everyone enjoys the pics and would love to hear your thoughts!

Cheers,
Kyle

Kyle-
In my 18" WSM I run a dry pan and never noticed much difference. I load that thing to the top with coals and never need to refill but your bin is smaller so not sure if you can avoid that. In my experience, I like to run it hotter for better fat rendering so around 250 or higher. That will help with cook time too. I do the foil in the cooler too. Looks like you had a pretty good cook for the first run. I have to say the WSM is rock steady with temp regulation at least with my 18" that is.

You could wrap the pork after the bark and cut time off the cook. Once you wrap you can use the oven. Clean up and done. No water, wrap the pan with foil for clean up. Run 250 to 285. But that pork still looks great so you got talent.

You could wrap the pork after the bark and cut time off the cook. Once you wrap you can use the oven. Clean up and done. No water, wrap the pan with foil for clean up. Run 250 to 285. But that pork still looks great so you got talent.

Thanks! Going to try empty foiled pan next time.

260°-275° usually gets me I in the +/-10 hour range. Might I also suggest that you only use temps as a reference for when to begin probing to see if it is done. Each butt is going to react a little differently, so assuming it is finished at a particular temp will (more often than not) result in an undercooked butt. I like to begin probing at around 190°. probe it like a cake, you want your probe to slide in and out with ease just like checking a cake.
Tim

When you wrap the insides of the empty pan, leave an air space between the foil and the pan.

Good advice. I'll usually put 2-3 small balls of foil under the 'wrap' just to keep it from sagging in the event of a lot of drippings.

260°-275° usually gets me I in the +/-10 hour range. Might I also suggest that you only use temps as a reference for when to begin probing to see if it is done. Each butt is going to react a little differently, so assuming it is finished at a particular temp will (more often than not) result in an undercooked butt. I like to begin probing at around 190°. probe it like a cake, you want your probe to slide in and out with ease just like checking a cake.
Tim
Tim,
I completely agree, about a week ago I read someone share on this site that knowing when to pull the meat off is as important if not more important then the temp you cook when it comes to low and slow. That was one of those mind blowing statements that keeps sticking with me.

Back