Durability of Weber Chimney Charcoal Lighter

tjkoko

TVWBB All-Star
I first got my Chimney in early 1998, 23 years ago. It's always been stored either in the carport or in a covered patio. And after all of these years erosion into the metal has finally taken place. One of the rivets securing the handle to the "cylinder" has broken and was replaced with a stainless nut and bolt. Good enough. Yet closer examination of the cylinder's wall revealed erosion that has gone completely thru the metal and alas my beloved chimney will soon be no more. 8,,,,(( It's been a nice ride, Miss Chimney!

I spent $20 at Academy for a Stainless Steel Oklahoma Joes chimney and love it. https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/oklahoma-joes-half-time-charcoal-starter-xl?repChildCatid=5148026
I've had it for several years now and it has performed amazingly well. It holds as much charcoal as the "tall" models but in a wide format. I've found it easy to handle and safe to use without gloves no matter how full the basket is. The build quality is great and I believe better than the alternatives I've seen on the market.

I've thrown my Weber chimney at a moose that was mangling some of my aspen trees and it still works fine.

I'm watching the trees to see if they'll come back this year. Stooopid moose.

But seriously if I could get the Firebrand stainless chimney here in the states somewhere somehow that’s the one I want. It looks AWESOME!!

Mine has seen some heavy use and I'm not sure how much it has left. It's got some pretty thin metal in the sides these days. I'll keep using it until it completely falls apart.

Back