Dual Fuel Ovens.

Phew. Because wife and I have been discussing getting rid of the POS LG we bought and getting a KA one

So much more you can do with gas/fire. Difficult to fire the outside of a pepper with a magnet.
That's true, but kind of a corner case. Here in California, building codes are changing to require most new homes to be all-electric, so NG cooktops, ovens, and ranges will be a thing of the past and induction will be commonplace. Even our electric utility company is calling for an end to NG lines to new homes, it's a big, expensive infrastructure to install and maintain that makes new homes more expensive.

I guess we'll have to char our peppers under the electric broiler...or use a blow torch! 🫑

That's true, but kind of a corner case. Here in California, building codes are changing to require most new homes to be all-electric, so NG cooktops, ovens, and ranges will be a thing of the past. Even our electric utility company is calling for an end to NG lines to new homes, it's a big, expensive infrastructure to install and maintain that makes new homes more expensive. Maybe we'll have to use a blow torch to char our peppers! 🫑

Wow - that's craziness! What's next in California...everyone live at home in a bubble?...oh wait, that's right now...

That's true, but kind of a corner case. Here in California, building codes are changing to require most new homes to be all-electric, so NG cooktops, ovens, and ranges will be a thing of the past and induction will be commonplace. Even our electric utility company is calling for an end to NG lines to new homes, it's a big, expensive infrastructure to install and maintain that makes new homes more expensive.

I guess we'll have to char our peppers under the electric broiler...or use a blow torch! 🫑
Using a torch isn’t too bad, you can always use a propane grill or, butane camp stove. I’ve only returned to the land of gas range and, boy have I remembered quickly just how much I love it! I suffered along with three burners on an old GE electric for 28 years praying that the old workhorse would have another burner go out and they just never would! I finally gave up (broke down) and decided it was my time for a treat! Then, the remodeling of some other projects needed to be addressed. But, that’s a whole different can of worms.

I’ve only returned to the land of gas range and, boy have I remembered quickly just how much I love it!
I grew up with an electric range and didn't discover gas until I moved into my first apartment. My second apartment was electric and made me realize that I preferred gas, which I've had ever since. When we moved in many years ago our house was all electric except for the furnace (oil), so my dad and I piped gas for the range and the dryer.

That being said, if someone made an affordable range that had 2 gas burners and 2 induction burners I'd be curious...

I grew up with an electric range and didn't discover gas until I moved into my first apartment. My second apartment was electric and made me realize that I preferred gas, which I've had ever since. When we moved in many years ago our house was all electric except for the furnace (oil), so my dad and I piped gas for the range and the dryer.

That being said, if someone made an affordable range that had 2 gas burners and 2 induction burners I'd be curious...
Yep, I think it was the first time I sautéed something when I got the new stove in and I was done cooking by the time the old one would take to warm up!

My parents had electric and you learned the hard way when those coils were still hot;)
First apartment we needed a gas range so I went down to Maxwell street and bought a old Roper 6 burner dual oven for cheap.
1603574381642.png

That thing was heavy as a pig and carrying it up 6 flights of stairs to our 3rd FL apartment earned us a well deserved beer break.

How wide was that range, Tim? It actually looks pretty cool...was it originally a commercial unit?

Before my daughter got married I was killing time and wandering around the church before the guests arrived, and happened to check out the kitchen. I can't remember the brand of the range but it was a big 6-burner (at least) monster and I remember thinking how much I'd like to have one like it at home.

It was at least 5' wide. They were made for regular kitchens, my Grandma had a similar one in Bridgeport.
Kitchens back then where just a big cast iron freestanding sink, a small ice box and a big stove.
Cabinets were usually made out of metal and counterspace was minimum.

I bought a whirlpool gas range about 5 years ago, it has 5 round burners, I like it except for trying to keep the black enamel top clean, if I could do over it would have been a stainless top if possible. The bottom drawer is a warmer if I need it around the holidays. I converted it to propane as we don't have natural gas out here in the country yet. I ran my own gas line as I am licensed to do, at some point NG will be thru here but I may be gone or past wanting to change it back over by then. I use a 100lb tank and it lasts over a year, $75 or so to fill it and don't think electric would be that cheap for the same amount of time ymmv

When my parents got married in 1950 they started with nothing. So they too bought a used gas range. A huge Crown. It's IIRC 48" wide but 4 burners. Has 2 ovens and 2 lower drawer broilers. It is still to this day in pristine condition in my dad's basement. I can attest to how well and controllable it cooks. The thing is totally amazing. The pilots don't work properly anymore so the gas supply is only turned on if it's used. I cooked MANY Christmas dinners down there on it to help my mom. What I would not give to be able to have it in my kitchen. I'm afraid as badly as my house is built it would fall through the floor LOL. My dad says I can have it but now at my age and poor health not sure it would be a good thing to try for

That would be cool, agree.

Do I meet with contractors to see if a gas line can be installed, and how much?

Does your house have a basement and is the ceiling exposed? Look for the gas pipes and see where they are relative to your kitchen. It’s likely black iron pipes, yellow gastite, or copper. Also, what is the size of the piping nearest the kitchen?

About seven years ago, I had a gas line stub run for my grill. They tapped into the line for my boiler in the basement. I thought that plumber would have to cut into black pipe but no, there is a pipe union inside the boiler. Disconnected it from the union, unscrewed a few pieces of pipe and above the boiler, switched the 90deg elbow to a tee. Put the pipes back together to the boiler and then ran the new line from the tee.

The cost was $650 for 20 feet of 3/4" piping, fittings, and 4.5 hours of labor.

Last year, I had a deck put in so they needed to move the piping back from the original exit by 5-6 feet and then run out underneath the deck (16') and up through to a tee with two quick connect fittings. This time, the cost was around $1100 which was much higher than expected. Partly because there two plumbers for 3 hours ($150/hour & $130/hour in 2019) versus 1 plumber for 4.5 hours ($110/hour in 2013).

Does your house have a basement and is the ceiling exposed? Look for the gas pipes and see where they are relative to your kitchen. It’s likely black iron pipes, yellow gastite, or copper. Also, what is the size of the piping nearest the kitchen?

About seven years ago, I had a gas line stub run for my grill. They tapped into the line for my boiler in the basement. I thought that plumber would have to cut into black pipe but no, there is a pipe union inside the boiler. Disconnected it from the union, unscrewed a few pieces of pipe and above the boiler, switched the 90deg elbow to a tee. Put the pipes back together to the boiler and then ran the new line from the tee.

The cost was $650 for 20 feet of 3/4" piping, fittings, and 4.5 hours of labor.

Last year, I had a deck put in so they needed to move the piping back from the original exit by 5-6 feet and then run out underneath the deck (16') and up through to a tee with two quick connect fittings. This time, the cost was around $1100 which was much higher than expected. Partly because there two plumbers for 3 hours ($150/hour & $130/hour in 2019) versus 1 plumber for 4.5 hours ($110/hour in 2013).
Thanks for sharing your experience.

I don't have a basement.

The gas pipe coming from the meter is diagonally from where the kitchen is. So if I am looking at the house, the gas meter is on the front right.

The kitchen is in the back left.

One of the estimates that I just got said it would be for about 110 feet.

There is no pipe at all near the kitchen. The only gas I've had so far was to the furnace, which is in the garage, near the gas meter.

What did you mean by "ceiling exposed"?

I am also asking these contractors for estimates to run a water line to the fridge, so I can finally use the water and ice from the fridge.

However, the fridge is on the opposite side of the sink. The sink is near an exterior wall. The fridge is not near an exterior wall, it is adjacent to an interior wall. So this isn't looking like something that can be done cleanly either.

One of the plumbers suggested moving the fridge so it's near an exterior wall.

I could do that, but it would block 5 - 6 inches of a window. Maybe more, depending on how tightly next to the counter, they put the fridge. I have to think about it.

Yeah I don't think basements are allowed in CA. Most homes there are on slab IIRC. Murder to run a gas pipe. BTW here in the midwest and other places there are basements you can look up and see the floor joists. SO that's what was meant by open ceiling

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I don't have a basement.

The gas pipe coming from the meter is diagonally from where the kitchen is. So if I am looking at the house, the gas meter is on the front right.

The kitchen is in the back left.

One of the estimates that I just got said it would be for about 110 feet.

There is no pipe at all near the kitchen. The only gas I've had so far was to the furnace, which is in the garage, near the gas meter.

What did you mean by "ceiling exposed"?

Ceiling exposed means that you can see the joists (wood) because there's no sheetrock covering the ceiling. Since you don't have a basement, I guess they would run the pipe from the garage through your attic. Or they could run it on the outside of the house. Personally I would go with the attic. I guess when you meet with the plumber to get quote, you should ask them questions on how they propose to do the work. 110 ft it a lot of piping but the materials are cheap. The amount of time and the cost per hour is what will be the largest cost.

Yeah I don't think basements are allowed in CA. Most homes there are on slab IIRC. Murder to run a gas pipe. BTW here in the midwest and other places there are basements you can look up and see the floor joists. SO that's what was meant by open ceiling

Yeah, I've never seen anyone with a basement in CA.

Or if I have, I don't remember it.

Ceiling exposed means that you can see the joists (wood) because there's no sheetrock covering the ceiling. Since you don't have a basement, I guess they would run the pipe from the garage through your attic. Or they could run it on the outside of the house. Personally I would go with the attic. I guess when you meet with the plumber to get quote, you should ask them questions on how they propose to do the work. 110 ft it a lot of piping but the materials are cheap. The amount of time and the cost per hour is what will be the largest cost.
Yes, the two plumbers that came looked at my attic but said it can't be done that way, since there is no access from there to the kitchen. I have 2 attic entrances. One upstairs. One downstairs in the garage.

I've only received an estimate from one of them so far.

The one that gave the estimate said it would have to go around the front of the house.

I still have a few more scheduled.

Back