Dual Fuel Ovens.

You might consider an electric range with an induction cooktop...it's the future of cooktops in new home construction for the SF Bay Area as we move away from natural gas to all-electric homes.
What cookware is not compatible with induction cooktops? I am just reading more about induction cooktops today.

Which of these burner layouts do you think would be better for using a 17" cast iron deep dish pan with? While that's not what I mainly cook with, since I'm getting a new range, I want something that would be more helpful with the 17" cast iron, if I can get it.

Take your pots and pans down to the appliance store and lay them out and move them around.

For a 30 inch range, I'd vote for fewer but bigger burners. I think you'll find that six burners in a 30 inch range is quite cramped. And you'll never have all six burners going at the same time.

Four big burners is best. Next would be 5 burners where the fifth burner is small so you can still have a couple of big pots going at the same time. Or a two burner griddle going with another pot or two.

You are definitely right about this. I'm looking at my current 30" electric stove, with 4 burners, and even I think it's a little cramped.

So 6 would be a bad idea.

I'll look for ones with 4.

So I get a quote from a plumber for the gas line. And if needed, then a quote from an electrician for the outlet behind my existing range.
Yes, that's correct. But you should be able to go to your electrical panel, find the breaker for the electric range, and read the amperage imprinted on the switch. It probably says "40" which means 40 amps. Then you download the installation manual for your dual fuel range of choice and find the electrical specs. If you have a 40 amp breaker and the range requires a 40 amp service, you're good to go and no need for an electrician quote.

After I recently got A/C installed, I tried to get rebates through BayRen.
We used a BayREN contractor to install an electric heat pump hot water heater and got an $1150 rebate. However, to qualify for the rebate we also had to pay $300 for a CAZ (Combustion Appliance Zone) test. So the net rebate was $850. It's really important to do your homework on these rebates and make sure you qualify before moving forward with your purchase.

Yes, that's correct. But you should be able to go to your electrical panel, find the breaker for the electric range, and read the amperage imprinted on the switch. It probably says "40" which means 40 amps. Then you download the installation manual for your dual fuel range of choice and find the electrical specs. If you have a 40 amp breaker and the range requires a 40 amp service, you're good to go and no need for an electrician quote.
Thanks., The switch (which takes up 2 slots on my breaker) is 50 amps.

Apparently a test to see if induction will work with my cookware, is to take a magnet to them. If they stick, then they will work.

I had a few things a magnet would not stick to. So I guess induction is out.

While I wait for my estimates for the gas line, here are duel fuel ranges. I can't find any with 4 burners, all have a 5th one. Which of these look good?

So do you think I'd be ok with my 17" cast iron on these layouts? Or at least be better off than my current electric stove ?

1) KitchenAid KSDB900ESS 7.1 cu. ft.

screenshot_2020-10-21-kitchenaid-7-1-cu-ft-slide-in-dual-fuel-range-with-aqualift-self-cleanin-jpg.16488

2) KitchenAid KSDG950ESS 6.4 Cu. Ft.

7322113cv12d.jpg

3) Samsung NY63T8751SG/AA 6.3 cu. ft.

The Samsung one has a Dual Door, in which the top half / bottom half can be opened, or the full oven. Which seems like one of the coolest things I've seen. Even if I rarely need to bake two things at the same time.

It also has an Air Fryer. If I get this one, then I'll probably participate in the air fryer threads on this board.

NY63T8751SG_07_Black_SCOM.jpg

Thanks., The switch (which takes up 2 slots on my breaker) is 50 amps.
Oh, you are totally set! Proceed to getting quotes for the gas line.

I had a few things a magnet would not stick to. So I guess induction is out.
No, induction is not out, you just need to replace those few pans with ones that are compatible with an induction cooktop. Depending on how much that gas line costs, a few new pans might be a lot cheaper!

No, induction is not out, you just need to replace those few pans with ones that are compatible with an induction cooktop. Depending on how much that gas line costs, a few new pans might be a lot cheaper!
Is it ok if the magnets stick to the sides of the cookware, instead of the bottom? I had a hard time getting the magnets to stick to the bottom of a lot of my cookware.

Is it ok if the magnets stick to the sides of the cookware, instead of the bottom? I had a hard time getting the magnets to stick to the bottom of a lot of my cookware.

From what I understand about induction heating, it has to be the bottom (among other things, follows the inverse squared rule, double the distance, one quarter the power.) If the bottom is not ferrous, and the sides are, the induction coils (if they couple at all,) would heat from the sides of the pot.

While I wait for my estimates for the gas line, here are duel fuel ranges. I can't find any with 4 burners, all have a 5th one. Which of these look good?

What is the stated purpose of those oblong middle/fifth burners?

For a 30" wide stove, I'd want to be able to have two big pots going over big BTU burners, and then have two other burners available for normal sized pots. My stove is over the top (six burners, 48" wide). Each grate is 14" wide -- more than enough space for big pots and to use a big griddle pan.

I've never had all six burners on at the same time. May not have ever had four going at the same time. So all those other burners are mostly used as counter/holding space. Nice to have, not a must have.

What is the stated purpose of those oblong middle/fifth burners?

For a 30" wide stove, I'd want to be able to have two big pots going over big BTU burners, and then have two other burners available for normal sized pots. My stove is over the top (six burners, 48" wide). Each grate is 14" wide -- more than enough space for big pots and to use a big griddle pan.

I've never had all six burners on at the same time. May not have ever had four going at the same time. So all those other burners are mostly used as counter/holding space. Nice to have, not a must have.

The middle one is used with a griddle add over that center burner.

I'd rather just use my Lodge square cast iron pan.

I couldn't find a 30" with just 4 burners and no middle one.

Actually if you use some higher quality stainless stuff like All Clad I cannot get a magnet to stick but it is compatible to induction cooking according to All Clad. So I think the issue is that the cookware is not aluminum. Or at least not just aluminum. I also have some All Clad aluminum non stick pans that claim to be induction compatible. They have a stainless steel disc molded to the bottoms. As to how well it would work I have no clue. I know I will never try them as I don't have to $$$$ it would take for an induction range. The pans only have to be ferrous. My guess is though the more a magnet can stick the more efficient the induction may be BUT it's a guess on my part. All I can offer advise wise is stay FAR away from Frigidaire/Electrolux and LG. After my experiences recently with all 3 brands I would not touch their appliances ever again. Honestly I would truly stick with a Whirlpool Company (KitchenAid, Whirlpool, Amana, etc) or look for truly higher end i.e. Wolf, Viking, etc

The middle one is used with a griddle add over that center burner. I couldn't find a 30" with just 4 burners and no middle one.

Got it. I like that idea.

But if you aren't using that middle burner, you basically have a 4 burner stove that is 30" wide. Should be plenty of space for several big pots.

I used to have a Bosch dual fuel and wife and I LOOOOOOOVED that thing. Dead accurate oven temps, very stable, did not put excessive heat into the kitchen. Saddest mistake I made was buying an LG all gas range. At my earliest financial opportunity I will be getting another DF either from a Whirlpool owned company or Bosch.
It seems like neither Whirpool or Bosch make duel fuel ranges anymore?

Really? I thought I just saw a KitchenAid one at my local store. I have not looked at Bosch offerings though.

Would one side + the oblong middle be good for the 17" cast iron?

Maybe. Try it out at the store and see if it fits.

No reason you can't use two burners under one big pan.

On my stove, for example, the big griddle pan runs from the front all the way to the back. So it goes over a front and a back burner.

Or maybe the middle burner alone would put out enough BTUs?

Last edited:

Back