Double Peruvian Chicken Spun until they were dark and done.

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
Got both birds marinated and tied up first thing today. Man I cut myself a good one while trimming the chicken, worked the rest of the day with a nitrile gloves. It has been a long time since I cut myself during prep, or just cooking in general, anyways.
IMG_20230604_130544.jpg

Got them both spinning.
IMG_20230604_152421.jpg

Getting done.
IMG_20230604_160737.jpg

And done.
IMG_20230604_164520.jpg

Ready for service, I wonder what happened to that fourth wing? Right after this photo my daughter and mother in law came in a take a wing each so only one mad it to service.
IMG_20230604_170916.jpg

Plates with Cajun rice and homemade black beans.
IMG_20230604_172416.jpg

This meal was a massive hit. The chicken was perfect and so tasty. The black beans were the best I ever made. Great food and great company for a great Sunday dinner.

Nicely done. Kept it regional with the rice and beans. My wife was in the mood for one last week so I said if she made the marinade I would cook it. Made it on the MB 800 raising the temps from 250 - 475 to get smoke then crispy skin. I put some corn on the cobs in while it was spinning. Great eats!

Nicely done. Kept it regional with the rice and beans. My wife was in the mood for one last week so I said if she made the marinade I would cook it. Made it on the MB 800 raising the temps from 250 - 475 to get smoke then crispy skin. I put some corn on the cobs in while it was spinning. Great eats!
Yeah these went on at 400 and it was between 450 and 500 for most the cook. I was a little worried about how dark they were getting but they were perfect. We all ate the very crispy skin and took test bits as I prepped for service, but no one wanted the skin for service. It is good to see your post, Joe, I always think about you when I make Peruvian Chicken.

Yeah these went on at 400 and it was between 450 and 500 for most the cook. I was a little worried about how dark they were getting but they were perfect. We all ate the very crispy skin and took test bits as I prepped for service, but no one wanted the skin for service. It is good to see your post, Joe, I always think about you when I make Peruvian Chicken.
Thanks - I have been making more of the Hey Grill Hey lemon zest chickens lately. When I made both types on the same spit and did a comparison, we came away liking the lemon one more, which was a total surprise given how much we like Peruvian. We still alternate but since the lemon one is much easier to prepare, it get made a little more often. Also the Weber Kick'N Chicken rub is excellent and has orange peel in it.

What Peruvian marianide recipe do you you - I’d love to try, got a rotisserie for Christmas and I’ve only done a bbq seasoning so far each time

I use the Steven Raichlen one, a little time consuming but, worth every minute!
When I’m doing basics, I generally do a half lemon faced with a halved head of garlic in the center, salt and pepper on the outside, the one last night, I added a nice sprig of freshly cut tarragon and used two pieces of olive wood and it was fantastic according to my guests. What more can you ask for?
I’m fairly sure the Peruvian recipe is mentioned many times here. It’s great! Especially the green mayonnaise sauce! I use it for chicken salad, knock me over with a feather!!

What Peruvian marianide recipe do you you - I’d love to try, got a rotisserie for Christmas and I’ve only done a bbq seasoning so far each time
There are two different recipes that I go back and forth with and love both. Tonight we did this one. This one, I almost always have all the ingredients on hand, it tastes just like I get on the Peruvian restaurants, and is milder. My aunt has Sunday night dinner with us and she an not handle any heat. Also I think this is my favorite of the two. This is the other one I use a lot. I learned this recipe here. I have to order the ají amarillo and huacatay paste from Amazon, but this one has heat and is something special. I think this one is the favorite of the majority on this forum. One of the most flavorful ways of cooking chicken. I do a lot of pieces with the vortex or whole on the rotisserie.

The second one you’ve linked is the one I’ve used and the extra time and effort to get the aji amarillo and huacatay paste IS worth it! Yeah, they are oddball for us but, the flavor? Exquisite!
A birthday brisket next week but, maybe for Sunday/Monday? Maybe!
thank you for linking them both Michael!

Well played! We did Peruvian chicken Saturday, but it didn't look nearly that good.

Nice looking chickens!

I use two charcoal baskets for rotisserie, one on each side, with small amounts of charcoal in each. It's amazing how hot it gets in the big space the kettle rotisserie addition makes. The meat always browns up nicely. Not sure if one or two makes much difference with the rotiss.

Nice looking chickens!

I use two charcoal baskets for rotisserie, one on each side, with small amounts of charcoal in each. It's amazing how hot it gets in the big space the kettle rotisserie addition makes. The meat always browns up nicely. Not sure if one or two makes much difference with the rotiss.
One or two birds? Not much. Some people use one basket, I’d think that would make a big difference! There is a lot of space to heat, I go full baskets both sides, no flops yet!

Checking into this because it looks great, I haven't done Peruvian for a while, and there's links to some stuff I want to try. Muchos gracias.

Doing a double spin this weekend, daughter in law says she does not know how to carve a chicken! So, I’ll do two and show her how it works. I had a spare jar of both huacatay and aji Amarillo In the pantry! This will be a nice weekend dinner!

Back