Does the "New" KBB produce more less or the same amount of Ash?

Charlie L

TVWBB Super Fan
I don't have a ton of experience with KBB as i generally go for all natural briq's or lump based on the countless stories i've read of KBB producing so much ash.

I was recently given 4 bags of KBB from last season and i have used on a few cooks and found the ash was an issue as it choked my fire significantly on an 8 hour cook despite the fact there was plently of fuel left.

I know the new briq's were reformulated this year. is there any less ash in the new formula?

I've used the new Kingsford three times so far and have not seen any significant difference at all it it's performance from the old.

The 2015 formula produces less ash. I did a test burn last weekend and I'm doing the write-up as we speak. But to give you an idea, 100 briquets of 2014 K produced 5-3/8 cups of ash weighing 15-5/8 ounces. 100 briquets of 2015 K produced 4-7/8 cups of ash weighing 14-1/4 ounces.

Not a huge difference, but a difference.

The 2015 formula produces less ash. I did a test burn last weekend and I'm doing the write-up as we speak. But to give you an idea, 100 briquets of 2014 K produced 5-3/8 cups of ash weighing 15-5/8 ounces. 100 briquets of 2015 K produced 4-7/8 cups of ash weighing 14-1/4 ounces.

Not a huge difference, but a difference.

makes me wonder if there is just more air in it. would explain why it lights quicker too.

makes me wonder if there is just more air in it. would explain why it lights quicker too.
It's got more wood char in it. It also has "increased airflow" which may mean a looser pack of material or a subtle variation in the shape or similar.

Great article, Chris. Thanks for sharing. Based upon what Kingsford states I wonder what a controlled burn would show when maintaining constant grate temperatures. If there is more heat as Kingsford states, maybe there could be a lower burn rate vs the 2014 - therefore providing a similar total cook time.

Back