Does oak taste like ash tray, or did I just get some bad wood?

Mark Barton

TVWBB Super Fan
Because of my mini-obsession with Arron Franklin's videos and book, I recently started using oak wood chunks for smoking beef in the WSM.

However, I noticed that I don't much care for it. When it is burning, it kind of smells like cigarettes; nothing like the wonderful aroma of cherry, apple or hickory. The meat it has produced has the faint taste of ash tray.

Have any of you noticed this with oak? Or did I just get some bad wood?

• Bought the chunks from a good source -- BBQ Island (other wood from there has been great).

• The chunks smells OK by themselves, nothing funky or off. They smell like oak wood.

• After the first oak cook turned out poor, I made sure I took all the bark off any chunks that had it. Same result

Thanks!

There are several species of oak that are common in my area and they are all harvested for fire wood.
I use oak I get out of my fire wood pile and I have been very satisfied with the results.
I use store bought fruit woods, hickory, and pecan too.
The one wood that is very popular here and I will not use is mesquite.
Maybe you just don't like oak, and there is nothing wrong with that.
Franklin uses post oak because that is what is most available / affordable near Austin.

Oak is typically milder than hickory so I don't know. Its possible something else is at play. I love it all but typically I use oak or pecan. I agree with Charles about mesquite which is super popular around here. Some pitmasters can do good things with it.

How much did you use? Strong woods like Oak, Hickory, Mesquite should be used sparingly. For example, I may use one chunk for the entire cook to avoid the "ashtray effect".

Mesquite is about the only wood I can discern, but I doubt that your oak should taste like ashtray.

I throw mesquite chips on the grill, but I would never recommend it as a smoking wood either.

was it rotten? If wood starts to break down,rot, or been sitting on the ground for years. It can give off a nasty taste/smell.

How much did you use? Strong woods like Oak, Hickory, Mesquite should be used sparingly. For example, I may use one chunk for the entire cook to avoid the "ashtray effect".

ditto - I always go easier w/oak.

sounds like a tag line for the Oak Council :)

Last edited:
was your fire dirty? if you put the meat on the fire too quick it can be bitter/ash try like. try letting it cook off a little longer till there is little to no white smoke.

Not trying to step in toes, but the timing of when you put your meat on is not the issue. I dump the chimney, put the meat on, and let it come up to temp and have never had issues. I would agree with some of the others that it may be too much Oak.

Yep, I would agree with all of the above members. Either too much or just plain skunky wood or a poorly combustive fire.
I use red, white and whiskey barrel chunks and love it.

Tim

I found out (from Brian Dahl) that Oak takes two full season. I'm guessing yours isn't seasoned enough, thus the think smoke taste

I put lots of wood (oak included) in the cooker spread across the top of the coal bed.
Everyone has to find their own flavor profile, my family likes the stronger smoke flavor.

Back