Does anyone know a good source for old school igniter or rocker switches????

This is a great project, a knife and scissors sharpener. I can now sharpen scissors (my wife cuts my hair and has a drawer full of dull scissors).

Last edited:
Yes, I stumbled across that one while looking for something else, and it's from 2011, so good chance it's for our grills. There's a few potential issues that I see...maybe yes, maybe not. I don't think PLA would be a good choice because of the heat...it gets hot there on the control panel. Are you going to use PLA?

Stickler? Everybody wants black!
From memory I believe it is PLA. A cheap bundle from Amazon for my daughter to play with. Yep, I bought her the 3D printer and I’m the only one that uses it🤣

It’s been a bit but I think I’m heating my bed to 250 or so

I printed some plugs for a SCUBA diving regulator for a friend while I was working

It's not an expensive hobby, really. No hobby is cheap. It's not as expensive as R/C airplanes or helicopters or computers or building a hobby CNC -, Edit: OR COLLECTING OLD GRILLS - just ask my wife. :sneaky:

Ed, can you embed a Weber logo on the rocker switch bezel? Maybe an old style with the TM?
Yes, if you are talking about the bezel itself and not the rocker, but the bezel would have to be larger, of course. I can't find the picture right now...anyway, with something of that size the TM won't show up. You are talking about the badge on the '80s Gennies, yes?

An imprinted logo on a white bezel would likely collect a lot of gunk that would not be easy to keep clean.

Ed, those current 3D printers remind me of the first personal computers with floppy disks and "modems". What takes seconds on todays basic personal computers would take minutes or hours on those old ones if they could do it at all.

I have a feeling, ten years from now, you will be able to print a box like that in minutes.

I just think it would be incredible to pull off making a reasonable facsimile of the original switch.

I just think it would be incredible to pull off making a reasonable facsimile of the original switch.
Is it the frame that is needed? Or the rocker? Or both? I think PETG would be the way to go, but PLA might be fine...the thing is, if you have a printer and the part fails, no big deal, just fix the engineering problem and print another one, but if you don't have a printer, well, that's a problem.

Last edited:
WELL NOW, THAT'S INTERESTING

In the link posted earlier for the rocker switch, somebody has remixed the frame to enable installation of an electronic igniter. Is there any interest in that? Seems like an upgrade to me. What say you? A custom frame to mount an electronic igniter? Maybe CNC carved out of wood to match the slats?

WELL NOW, THAT'S INTERESTING

In the link posted earlier for the rocker switch, somebody has remixed the frame to enable installation of an electronic igniter. Is there any interest in that? Seems like an upgrade to me. What say you? A custom frame to mount an electronic igniter? Maybe CNC carved out of wood to match the slats?

I was thinking about that. The 2007 300 series igniter has a similar metal cage as a Silver B.

Edit, I should add the cheap side of me sez why fix what ain't broken? I have enough rockers and igniter buttons. The thing that wears out is the ceramic igniter and the metal gas catcher.

edit 2: here's the 07 igniter I was thinking about. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R8JL1SG/?tag=tvwb-20

Last edited:
And letting my imagination run free, if a guy wanted to put a 13-bar box in a ss Platinum frame, well, he wouldn't need to move that igniter crossmember, just cut it out and mount a ss strip or angle to support and attach the control panel sheet metal...no welding necessary.

Seems too easy. What am I missing?

Back