Does anyone know a good source for old school igniter or rocker switches????

I didn’t get a chance to try myself.

That would be unacceptable for me. In my mind it’s got to be smooth and damn near identical to the OE switch. Now that may require printing in a white or light gray, sanding smooth and painting, I don’t know, but I’ll play with it.
I'm with you, functionality is one thing but it has to look nice too.

I was only trying to make them turn more smoothly! Lol
A man and his grill...it's a beautiful thing.

I completely get it! "If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand" kind of thing, It's just a good thing for us that our wives/significant others put up with it!

A man and his grill...it's a beautiful thing.

I completely get it! "If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand" kind of thing, It's just a good thing for us that our wives/significant others put up with it!
As long as I do the stuff around the house that she wants done she pays no attention to what I'm doing in the garage and that's just fine.

Its been over a year since the last update.

Has anyone done more of these?

How are they working out?

Its been over a year since the last update.

Has anyone done more of these?

How are they working out?
Oh jeez, now I remember why Richard doesn't have an igniter switch in his Skyline pictures from the other thread we were just commenting in. He gave it to someone to try and make a 3D printed copy.

Last edited:
Oh jeez, now I remember why Richard doesn't have an igniter switch in his Skyline pictures from the other thread we were just commenting in. He gave it to someone to try and make a 3D printed copy.
I got the 3d printed rocker switch from my buddy back. Here are pics. Looking good and is an exact copy of the original except for the color. We are trying to figure out how to replicate the Grey/ beige color of the original. This is the prototype.

Attachments

• 20230328_183405.jpg
    20230328_183405.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230328_183339.jpg
    20230328_183339.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230328_183325.jpg
    20230328_183325.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230328_183344.jpg
    20230328_183344.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230328_183334.jpg
    20230328_183334.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 17
THat is purely awesome and amazing that can be done so easily by regular folks with those 3D printer thingies.

Unless the material you use to feed the machine is the color you want, there are two ways I can think of to get the color you want.
1. You could paint them. This has worked on control knobs and other plastic parts on these grills. However, paint is not especially durable usually.
2. You can dye the parts. There are several threads discussing the process. I have done it with black dye only to this point, but as long as the starting color is lighter than what you want to dye them to, it should work for other colors.
Here is a search for threads on the dyeing process. https://tvwbb.com/search/654474/?q=black+knobs+handle&c[users]=Bruce&o=date

That looks a lot nicer than I expected it to, pretty much perfect. I don't know too much about 3D printing but imagine there are ways to change the color of the material used to make the part if you want. All things considered though, I would be happy with that as is. Very cool!

Any chance your buddy is willing to share the file for the 3D printer? I've been looking for an excuse to use the one at our local library lol
Next step would be making the control knobs, too!

Back