Do you rub?

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
I got to thinking about this Sundays upcoming smoke for my granddaughters' 1 yr old birthday party.

When you put the rub on (over mustard), do you actually rub it into the meat.?? Or do you just sprinkle it over the mustard base and let it sit for an hour or so till it turns that lovely shade of brown.

I've never ever rubbed it in and it's turned out fine (maybe ignorance is bliss).

I know everything I've read here says to "sprinkle" it on. Never anything about physically rubbing the spices into the meat though.

What do you do?

I don't use mustard, but instead use either worcestershire sauce or oil depending on the food. I sprinkle on the rub and just pat it. You can massage the meat all day long, but how do you get the rub into the meat?

I use Worcestershire, or veggie oil or mustard ( I like spicey brown). Then I dust it with rub and slap it on the cooker when I have a clean burning fire. If I have time I may do this the night before and sit in the fridge but rarely is this the case.

Lots of times you see cooks on TV actually rubbing the spices into a cut of meat , but I just put on mustard (I also like brown or Dijon) and sprinkle the "rub" on the meat....then let it get happy. ;)

I have pretty much stopped using mustard and in it's place I used EVOO. (Amazingribs.com) I put the rub on after the OO and like Dave says it's only a surface coating but I'm happy with the results.

EVOO and or Worcestershire for me, and I more like pat it in than rub. I used to do just a dry rub on dry meat and did rub it in, I like the results of the wet type of rub I am doing now.

When I use mustard I will sprinkle on and let it be for 15 min. Then use mustard and sprinkle rub on top until I see no more mustard.

I don't put any glue on my meat. :) I simply shake it on, and then rub it in good. Never had a problem with it sticking.

I put the rub and mustard intot the same bowl, mix together until I have a thick paste, and then paste it onto the meat. This allows me to put on quite a bit more rub that just sprinkling it on.

Why not both - rub it in on the dry meat, let it sit a bit, then coat in mustard, then sprinkle it on....sounds like a plan to me!

Well, I'm pleased to hear my non-rubbing method is ok.

I'm also pleased to hear that rubbing (ribbing?) it in is the right way to do it as well.

The other good thing is the other "glues" you use (or don't use).

Thanks for all the input. :)

I dont rub and I dont use mustard or oil or anything either. Sprinkle it on and cook it. I've tried it all but find none of it really makes much difference.

no, I don't rub. when using a rub, I "pat" it into the meat/mustard/oil and let it "sweat" until all the dry becomes wet.

I only use rub, and put it on heavily. I also only apply it as the fire is getting ready. Once I applied the rub hours in advance and the ribs tatsted like ham, worst ribs I ever made.

I only use rub, and put it on heavily. I also only apply it as the fire is getting ready. Once I applied the rub hours in advance and the ribs tatsted like ham, worst ribs I ever made.

I think the ham taste comes from too much salt. The meat begins to cure. Some of the rubs are really loaded with salt. Bad Byron's Butt Rub comes to mind. I make my own so I can reduce the amount of salt.

Back