Do you rub?

The Kruger method works for me: salt the meat, let it sit for a few minutes to draw moisture to the surface and then apply the (salt-free) rub.

no, I don't rub. when using a rub, I "pat" it into the meat/mustard/oil and let it "sweat" until all the dry becomes wet.

Same here. For butts I usually apply the rub (I've never used mustard), wrap tightly in plastic wrap and let them sit in the fridge for a few hours. When they go on the cooker it's like a paste.

I think the ham taste comes from too much salt. The meat begins to cure. Some of the rubs are really loaded with salt. Bad Byron's Butt Rub comes to mind. I make my own so I can reduce the amount of salt.

I am with you Gary. Most commercial runs are way to heavy on the salt. I make my own too so I can control the salt. The KC rib rub in smoke & spice is a real good one with half the recommend salt.

I shake on the rub evenly then pat it into the meat until it's stuck. Sometimes I use mustard, sometimes I don't. I find with mustard I can get more rub to stick, making a thicker bark.

No mouse turd for me, just my homemade low salt rub patted on and let it rest in the frig overnight.

As a follow up, I used a Worcestershire sauce base instead of mustard. Used BRITU but slightly different. Normally I NEVER grind the spice mix prior to rubbing (er, sprinkling no actual physical rubbing). This time, the spices were clumpy/lumpy. Into the coffee grinder for 2-3 seconds. Came out as a fine powder.

Sprinkled on lightly etc.

Although IMO the ribs were overdone (4 hr in smoker was ok but holding them in foil in a cooler for 3 hr did me in), well everyone considered them the best ever. Go figger.

how can you argue with success? Overdone for them wins.

Last edited:
Thinking back, I believe most of the calls we have gotten in ribs this year came from ribs I thought I had overcooked. Everyone, including judges loves them fall off the bone, even if they won't admit it. You almost have to cook to falloff the bone since they do tighten back up a bit when they cool.

Have tried mustard and safflower oil (the spices in rubs generally aren't water soluble but are oil soluble) but really couldn't tell it helped. We just sprinkle heavy, pat till the rub is moist and not dry, then sprinkle lightly again. We do this 1 hour before cooking.

Last edited:
I too have read that most spices are oil soluble so I apply a thin layer of oil first and then pat the dry rub on the meat.

I shake a whole bottle of Tabasco or Frank's Red Hot onto ribs or brisket before applying the rub. Then vacuum seal and refrigerate 24-48 hours. It adds some flavor, but surprising no detectable heat.

I shake a whole bottle of Tabasco or Frank's Red Hot onto ribs or brisket before applying the rub. Then vacuum seal and refrigerate 24-48 hours. It adds some flavor, but surprising no detectable heat.

Really!! No heat from a whole bottle of Tabasco! I'll have to try that....I bet the flavor is nice.

Back