Do you pick up leaves or such from the floor?

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
This is something that DH and I cannot agree on. He will leave them there until he vacumns the rug. I say, if you see something on the floor, PICK IT UP.!!!! What say you all?

I tend to pick up “stuff” but, probably not as often as I should. Today, after a rushed trip to Alabama and back I’m just too worn out to do much. I’ll deal with that stuff after the brain resets to Michigan routine.

Before I retired as a Safety Consultant for a large unnamed retailer (they throw a big nationally televised parade at Thanksgiving), slips/trips and falls were a frequent cause of accidents and injuries for both customers and associates, usually from rain or snow carried in or tags or hangars or other debris on the floor. To minimize accidents, I instilled the idea of “if you see it, you own it” to get associates to keep the floor free from hazards. I told them it was easier for each person to pick up 1 or 2 things off the floor rather than 1 person having to go around to pick up 50 things.
I try to clean my own messes at home, and now that I’m retired and a fall might injure me, I pick things up when I see them.

Last edited:
This is something that DH and I cannot agree on. He will leave them there until he vacumns the rug. I say, if you see something on the floor, PICK IT UP.!!!! What say you all?
My wife's cat comes through the cat door several times a day, leaving a trail of debris behind her. To monitor and pick it up would be a full time job. Generally there's nothing big enough, or slippery enough to be concerned with, so we just let it be until the vacuum comes out for other cleaning, usually every 3 or 4 days.

I have mostly hard floors so I'd rather sweep something up then walk around it.
We have one of those floor touchless vacs that you just sweep stuff towards it and it automatically turns on and sucks it up.

This is where having cats help. Cats will play with anything, except their toys. So if something is on the floor, I just say the cats were playing with it and I didn't want to take it away from them

This is where having cats help. Cats will play with anything, except their toys. So if something is on the floor, I just say the cats were playing with it and I didn't want to take it away from them
Oh Chuck, in this case, that would not work. There have been 3 leaves sitting in the same spot for quite a few days now. Also, in this case, DH can bend over without falling and I am the one that would probably fall. lol And, our cat loves to play with her toys. Now that you mention it, why HAS'NT she played with the leaves? Hmmmm!!!!!

You should get a robo-vac. Problem solved. Unless you have a pet who leaves a dook & nobody picks it up... Then it's all bad!

If a rake was on the floor he would pick it up, why not a leaf, add alittle water to that leaf and it becomes very sloppery.

Back