Do you guys use your gas ignition in your Performer?

Brian Lieder

TVWBB Member
My classic stainless Performer has the gas ignition and it's pretty new to me. I figured the gas ignition would be the bees knees, but soon discovered that it really only ignites a small portion of my coals, creating a tiny hot spot in the middle of the basket. I tried moving the baskets around while burning the gas in an attempt to ignite the whole basket, but that's an annoying way to spend 5 minutes.

To solve this, i threw lighter fluid on all of both baskets, and hit the gas ignition for just a split second. got me a nice even bed of coals, and i was happy. But now i feel like i dont even need the gas ignition, and might as well just use lighter fluid and a match or stick lighter.

What do you do?

Brian-

Yep, I use the gas ignition in my performer. I wouldn't describe mine as lighting a "tiny" spot of coal in the baskets. Rather, both baskets (if I'm using two), get good ignition of several of the coals in the bottom of the baskets when I run the burner for four minutes. After that, I turn off the gas, move the baskets to where I want them for cooking, and give the coals another 10-15 minutes to get ready for cooking. Is it possible that your burner is clogged up, or otherwise not in top working order?

What I describe above works for me. I'm not a fan of lighter fluid, so if I couldn't get the gas ignition to work with my baskets, I would use it to fire a chimney of coals..... Find what works for you (gas, chimney, fluid, other), and use that! :)

Rich

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, I did clean out my burner recently and it gives a good flame.... your results are very similar to mine where i get a few lumps (i use lump coal) to burn, and it spreads eventually.

But.. if i can quickly get a full glowing basket by using a shot of lighter fluid, then that just seems like the smarter way to go. Less waiting... I had 2 baskets fully glowing in about 15 minutes with the fluid, whereas i would have had a spot in the middle of them without the fluid.

Maybe you're right that we may all find our ways, and none of them are wrong.

If lighter fluid works for you then by all means use it. I personally don't want to buy/use it. I usually start my coals in a chimney with about 3 minutes of flame from the gas assist, wait about 10 minutes then dump the coals into the baskets. After I shut off the gas, I go back in the house to do some final prep when that's done, the coals are ready to go. I've done it this way for so long that I now find myself needing that 10 minutes to get everything ready.

and congrats and getting a SS performer.

I'm in the camp of using a chimney verses the baskets too. Anymore the only thing I use the performer for is starting coals in the chimney for the WSMs. If you have a chimney try it and dump into the baskets after they are going.

I must have a very good gas assist burner since I can have lump, or briqs, screaming hot in no time using only the baskets.
It would pain me to have to start coals in the chimney, then dump them into the baskets.
This feature, to me, is the best of a several reasons for buying a Performer.

When I had one ...I aiways used the gas assist.I just piled the charcoal over the flame and let the flame burn for about 10 minutes ,cut the gas off and when the coals got red I just spread the coals out. Ready to cook !!!

Mine makes two BIG flames. It lights the baskets OK, but I usually use the chimney and then pour it into the baskets if I'm using them. Otherwise, I dump them on the lower grate and rock and roll. That Rapidfire chimney works like a charm.

My gas assist crapped out after about 2 months of use and I really didn't like. I typically cook on the opposite side of the grill or in the center if using a Vortex.

I use one of these and it gets the grill lit in minutes.

My gas assist crapped out after about 2 months of use and I really didn't like. I typically cook on the opposite side of the grill or in the center if using a Vortex.

I use one of these and it gets the grill lit in minutes.

I just snagged this with a craigslist find. Haven't tried Yet. Do you use propane or MAPP and if you've tried both Do you see a significant difference?

Did he say lighter fluid.......?? Please throw that away and get a chimney starter! I see what your saying with the trays, pile the coals toward the center then spread them out once they get going.

I use both the gas assist and the chimney. Just depends on what I am doing and what is the easiest at the time. My gas assist works great and I use the Weber lighter cubes when I use the chimney. Whatever works for you is the way to go. Just enjoy it.

Edit: I personally would never use lighter fluid and I have not bought any in probably 30 years. Just do what works for you.

Last edited:
No lighter fluid for me. Put your briquettes in a Weber charcoal chimney and set it over the lit gas assist. Finish some of your food prep while you wait. Once you see flames at the top layer of briquettes in the chimney, shut off the gas assist. Dump the lit briquettes in the charcoal baskets when they are ready to go. So easy.

I use it but have to light it, my ingnition doesn't work. Works well enough for me, but a little more powerful flame with a split or more spread out would be nice.

I use my gas assist every time. I pour charcoal in the baskets, place them in the middle of the grill, and fire up the gas assist. In 5-10 minutes I shut off the gas and wait another 10-15 minutes or so for the charcoal to be ready. It is the most convenient way to use charcoal that i can imagine. The baskets can be moved around to whatever configuration you are needing. I have a chimney starter but I haven't used it since getting the performer. I believe gas assist is what allows me to choose my charcoal grill over my Weber Summit natural gas grill 90% of the time.

I use my gas assist every time. I pour charcoal in the baskets, place them in the middle of the grill, and fire up the gas assist. In 5-10 minutes I shut off the gas and wait another 10-15 minutes or so for the charcoal to be ready. It is the most convenient way to use charcoal that i can imagine. The baskets can be moved around to whatever configuration you are needing. I have a chimney starter but I haven't used it since getting the performer. I believe gas assist is what allows me to choose my charcoal grill over my Weber Summit natural gas grill 90% of the time.

Yes +1 every time. I was just thinking last night, about how wonderful it is to use the gas assist as opposed to newspaper and a chimney. Such a huge improvement.

Was just thinking last night how wonderful the Performer is as I was grilling chops and okra...
The gas ignition is great. Pile, light and spread or in the chimney for the smoker.

Just FYI for you guys that have a gas assist later model performer that uses the small bottles. The adapter hose that allows the Qs to use the 20 pound bottles fits the performer also. If you don't move your performer around a lot it's cheaper and easier then buying new ones or refiling the small bottles. HERE

Back