Do we even need chimneys?

John K BBQ

TVWBB All-Star
So, I've been a loyal chimney user for several years, but lately I've been noticing the smaller pieces of lump tend to mess up the airflow in the chimney so I've been lighting my charcoal without it. It's working pretty dang good. I get a nice hot bed of charcoal in 20 minutes - same as using a chimney, and I have to say this is a little more fun because it feels like I'm building a fire rather than using an appliance. . I'll probably hang on to my chimney in case I ever need lit coals to put into the WSM, but it's probably going to be collecting a lot of dust going forward. Here's how I'm starting my grill without the chimney.

Spread out the coals from the last cook in a circle, stick your tumble weed or lighter cube in the middle.

phase 1.jpg!

Light the tumbleweed, and start stacking pieces of lump on top teepee style (about 2 minutes after lighting here)

phase 2.jpg

Here we are after about 10 minutes. At this point, I could close the lid and start using air vents to manage air flow to bring the cooker up to 225 or 250 for smoking, but tonight I was grilling some boneless skinless chicken breasts that I pounded into an even 1/2 to 5/8" thickness.

phase 3.jpg

After about 15 minutes

phase 4.jpg

After 20 minutes, I used my charcoal stirring stick and spread em' out

phase 5.jpg

Had to include a this pic - you can see the fire glowing thru the chicken. And no, I did not incinerate the chicken ;) . It was delish!

chikn on.jpg

Chicken looks good, I have a performer with gas assist and if I have used all the coals I might use my baskets to light but most of the time pour on the sweet spot and hit the gas, 10 minutes or so spread them out, I quit beating chicken and use a knife to thin them out most of the time,I like to throw a little wood on off to the side for extra flavor

Chicken looks good, I have a performer with gas assist and if I have used all the coals I might use my baskets to light but most of the time pour on the sweet spot and hit the gas, 10 minutes or so spread them out, I quit beating chicken and use a knife to thin them out most of the time,I like to throw a little wood on off to the side for extra flavor
This particular chicken started talking politics when I brought it home from the grocery store so it deserved a good beating!! ;)

I dug the 14" SJ out of my RV for a cook the other day. In with it was a box of Weber starter cubes. I decided to go old school and start my lump by using a cube.
Phew!! They wouldn't light and put out a terrible odor. Still sealed, but age had ruined them.
So the chimney and Performer came to the rescue.

I now light my Kingsford Blue Bag charcoal using the Large Weber Chimney on my Weber Performer Deluxe(WPD) Gas Assist or when using the Weber Smoky Joe the Weber Light cubes with the small Weber Chimney.

Also, when grilling on my WPD I also use the Kingsford Matchlight Charcoal and if you follow the Kingsford Matchlight instructions printed on the bag it leaves no noticeable oder IMO.

Last edited:
A while back I purchased a 2014 performer from CL and the guy threw in a large and small weber chimneys, the old SS wire baskets so I can lite my charcoal several ways now . I use the minny alpt as there is 2 of us most times.

lump lights up fairly easy, I use the chimney like a measuring cup when determining how much lit coal to dump in the smoker depending on what Im cooking ...I also have the mini version, but I prefer the regular size

So, I've been a loyal chimney user for several years, but lately I've been noticing the smaller pieces of lump tend to mess up the airflow in the chimney so I've been lighting my charcoal without it. It's working pretty dang good. I get a nice hot bed of charcoal in 20 minutes - same as using a chimney, and I have to say this is a little more fun because it feels like I'm building a fire rather than using an appliance. . I'll probably hang on to my chimney in case I ever need lit coals to put into the WSM, but it's probably going to be collecting a lot of dust going forward. Here's how I'm starting my grill without the chimney.

Spread out the coals from the last cook in a circle, stick your tumble weed or lighter cube in the middle.

View attachment 23933!

Light the tumbleweed, and start stacking pieces of lump on top teepee style (about 2 minutes after lighting here)

View attachment 23934

Here we are after about 10 minutes. At this point, I could close the lid and start using air vents to manage air flow to bring the cooker up to 225 or 250 for smoking, but tonight I was grilling some boneless skinless chicken breasts that I pounded into an even 1/2 to 5/8" thickness.

View attachment 23935

After about 15 minutes

View attachment 23936

After 20 minutes, I used my charcoal stirring stick and spread em' out

View attachment 23938

Had to include a this pic - you can see the fire glowing thru the chicken. And no, I did not incinerate the chicken ;) . It was delish!

View attachment 23939
That looks like a sweet adjustable charcoal basket. What is it? Did it come with the PK?

That looks like a sweet adjustable charcoal basket. What is it? Did it come with the PK?
Hey Joe - the adjustable charcoal basket is from The Burn Shop. I like that adjustable partition quite a bit because I can get the charcoal right up under the grate when I want to, or I can spread the coals out like I did in these photos. I also like that they shaped the ends to try and match the shape of the PK360. t's also built to last and probably weighs at least 20 lbs. I've been burning mostly lump and it helps keep the hot burning lump away from the aluminum sides of the PK. It was not cheap. I think I paid $120 for it (including shipping), but It may outlast my grill. Some bits of charcoal get stuck between the bottom of the basket and the PK's charcoal grate, but I haven't noticed any "harmful effects". click here to check it out

Back