DIY Front Folding Shelf EX6

That is a thing of beauty, Great job! A front shelf is ( in my opinion) a must have. Once you use a grill that has one, one that (like yours) is large enough to be used, you will never want to use a grill or smoker that doesn't have a front table/shelf.
Again, great job,
Tim

That is a thing of beauty, Great job! A front shelf is ( in my opinion) a must have. Once you use a grill that has one, one that (like yours) is large enough to be used, you will never want to use a grill or smoker that doesn't have a front table/shelf.
Again, great job,
Tim
Tim - That is so true. I have been testing out a Broilmaster with a flip up front shelf and it is fantastic to have. Now that you reminded me I finally realize why I have never been 100% pleased with any of my Weber gassers. My first grill was an 88 Sunbeam with a nice flip up front shelf and 2 flip up side shelves. I gave that away when I retrieved a Genesis E/W that a neighbor put to the curb 20 years later. The Genesis was a better grill but I was never really happy with it as not enough shelves, especially on the right where the controls were. I even tried the N/S Genesis II's which is better shelf wise but I am starting to fall for the Broil Master because of the front and side shelves. You can never have too many shelves when grilling!

The problem with adding this shelf is that a lot of grills have non-vertical sides so the shelf at 90 degrees will not be level. You would need a metal shim and need to drill the firebox and maybe use a backing plate. for strength.

The problem with adding this shelf is that a lot of grills have non-vertical sides so the shelf at 90 degrees will not be level. You would need a metal shim and need to drill the firebox and maybe use a backing plate. for strength.
The nice thing about this installation is that Weber installed that alignment block where I bolted it on. That keeps the shelf level.

Lew, can you post some pics of the undercarriage? I'd like to see how you attached it all. Thanks!
Getting on the floor isn't easy. Look at this pic and see if you need more. I used the mounting bolt that's there for the Weber front shelf in the top hole of the bracket. Then I screwed in 3 screws into the wood and through the holes in the bracket arm. If you look closely at the picture you can see the head of the Weber shelf mounting bolt. EDIT I just looked closely at the pic and it's not my installation but someone else's. But, that's how it's done.Front Folding Shelf Brackets.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks @Lew Newby I'm following this how-to on my new EX6, the folding brackets arrived today and a 48" section of acacia with a live edge will be here mid-week. I'm a bit worried about handle clearance with a 5/4 slab of wood on top so I might need to have it planed down to an inch thick. Quick photoshop mockup of how it might look...
1648418104506.png

1648418131167.png

Last edited:
Trying to decide if I want to pay to have it laser-etched or just go at it old school and wood burn the design in myself with a soldering iron.

Last edited:
Beautiful slab of wood.
If my memory is accurate, 5/4 will probably give you about 1/8" clearance from the handle. I planed my 4/4 stock down to 7/8" thick. How deep is your shelf. Over Christmas my Son and I added 3 inches to mine and it's now 15" deep. I like the extra depth and we tested grill stability with 40 lbs. on the shelf. Rock solid. Eager to see your finished product.
Front Shelf folded 15 in..jpg

Back