Dishwasher Smell

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So, first part of question. Does anyone use the Cascade "packets" type of product in their unit? If so do you notice your dishes pretty much reeking of the smell of that product after removing from machine?
We have been using the product "Cascade Platinum" for a very long time. And I don't ever recall needing to rinse dishes and coffee cups prior to using them because of the "smell" and the taste of the soap. Lately last 2 or 3 weeks though that is precisely what I am experiencing.
This is a new box of product, though it does not indicate "New" or "New and Improved" or anything of the nature. I don't notice the product smells "different" than it always did only that now it's "lingering" and I am really hating it.
So before I go out and buy all new product and or a new machine just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this? It is driving me nuts. Sometimes I forget int he AM and pour a cup of Joe from my wonderful Moccamaster and it's ruined. I have to dump it. Dishes also "feel" funny (slick) as well.

nope. we use costco branded (squeeze bottle) whatever that is detergent and the expensive rinse aid (i don't recall the brand name) because the dishwasher requires it.

We use Cascade Platinum; the current container we're using was purchased on Feb 3. I never noticed anything until reading your post and putting the clean dishes to my nose. I don't smell anything on glassware or china but I can smell a faint fragrance on some plastic items. I can't wait to drink from one, now.

1645832595752.png

Been using this combo for a while, and occasionally the platinum if it's all I could get during hoardvid.

20220225_154511.jpg

I also use this every six months.

20220225_154531.jpg

I don't notice any smell.

Yes, this is what I buy. We never had this happen. At first I thought maybe the filter screen in the machine was dirty (it was) so I removed it and cleaned everything up. No help. That and the "slick" feel make me wonder if something is wrong with the rinse cycle? Also I noticed I can actually smell the machine while it's in operation. (the smell of the soap not really the machine). I think the thing is about 12 years old now so being it's made in China likely it's outlived it's lifespan

Any lingering odor or slickness?
negative. the kirkland brand is a quality product which we've used for 10+ year, (IIRC). i installed a new dishwasher last year as we wore the last Bosch out after 14 years of very tough use (5 of us and running 9 loads a week, each load runs around 2.5 hours).

new unit: Bosch 800 series, model SHXM88Z75N

So, first part of question. Does anyone use the Cascade "packets" type of product in their unit? If so do you notice your dishes pretty much reeking of the smell of that product after removing from machine?
We have been using the product "Cascade Platinum" for a very long time. And I don't ever recall needing to rinse dishes and coffee cups prior to using them because of the "smell" and the taste of the soap. Lately last 2 or 3 weeks though that is precisely what I am experiencing.
This is a new box of product, though it does not indicate "New" or "New and Improved" or anything of the nature. I don't notice the product smells "different" than it always did only that now it's "lingering" and I am really hating it.
So before I go out and buy all new product and or a new machine just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this? It is driving me nuts. Sometimes I forget int he AM and pour a cup of Joe from my wonderful Moccamaster and it's ruined. I have to dump it. Dishes also "feel" funny (slick) as well.
Wonder if the rinse cycle is running at the end of the wash. Have you tried running a rinse cycle after the auto wash cycle completes?

I have been very happy with my kitchenaid, and the kitchenaid I had before it.

I redid all my appliances in 2017/18 and the only reason I replaced the DW was I was going from white to stainless steel.

I gave my 2009 KA to my niece, and she loves it because it is very quiet and it's still going strong.

Costco carries a few and they look similar yet slightly improved over mine.

negative. the kirkland brand is a quality product which we've used for 10+ year, (IIRC). i installed a new dishwasher last year as we wore the last Bosch out after 14 years of very tough use (5 of us and running 9 loads a week, each load runs around 2.5 hours).

new unit: Bosch 800 series, model SHXM88Z75N
How are you liking it? I am looking at this https://www.bestbuy.com/site/bosch-...l-tub-stainless-steel/5710286.p?skuId=5710286 one. We wore ours out as well. With 3 teens in the house, tons of meals and dishes I was running 2 loads a day many times. After about 8 years of that a pump went bad. I replaced it. After another 3 years another pump went out and it was a really hard one to fix so I dumped it and then needed a machine. Could not find one anywhere, ended up with this Electrolux POC out of desperation.
I would buy a KA but none of them have condensing drying. We have laminate counters and the steam venting under them from regular machines we ruining them. The Electrolux was the only machine other than bosch I ever saw that has the feature
As for the rinse cycle. It's all electronic we cannot control it. It's select a clean cycle and run it. But the fact that I have to hand rinse the dishes prior to use to get the slick off and the smell tells me something may be rotten in Denmark.

We bought a Bosch several years ago, I think it's a 500 series, 3 tray, blank front (all controls on the top edge.) My sole complaint about it is that dishes never come out dry, but that's almost certainly the result of EPA regulations. We use the Finish detergent packets and the Finish rinse aid, no lingering odor.

I'd agree, something sounds wrong with a rinse cycle.

How are you liking it? I am looking at this https://www.bestbuy.com/site/bosch-...l-tub-stainless-steel/5710286.p?skuId=5710286 one. We wore ours out as well. With 3 teens in the house, tons of meals and dishes I was running 2 loads a day many times. After about 8 years of that a pump went bad. I replaced it. After another 3 years another pump went out and it was a really hard one to fix so I dumped it and then needed a machine. Could not find one anywhere, ended up with this Electrolux POC out of desperation.
I would buy a KA but none of them have condensing drying. We have laminate counters and the steam venting under them from regular machines we ruining them. The Electrolux was the only machine other than bosch I ever saw that has the feature
As for the rinse cycle. It's all electronic we cannot control it. It's select a clean cycle and run it. But the fact that I have to hand rinse the dishes prior to use to get the slick off and the smell tells me something may be rotten in Denmark.
love our new one. Bosch are the highest rated DW's across the board. very durable, reliable and last a long time. and they have a leak detection pan where if these sense water in the pan, the unit shuts off. this is important to us as we had two GEs fail in two different homes and I vowed and told GE I'd share their poor quality with anyone who'd list until i die. horrible machines that failed after 4 years; leaking water pumps that runied two hardwood floors, and GE wouldn't pay a dime to fix my floors. so yeah, GE suc|>s.

here's a side by side comparo for you: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/compare?skus=6360647,5710286

key differences are: sound levels, wash cycles choices, and possible rack adjustability.

our old Bosch, https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/SHX99A15UC.html, was an amazing machine. i had to replace one water inlet pump a few years back. we had defective home pipes which shortened the life of that pump but overall we got around 14 years out of the unit. i bought this new one as it was less expensive to buy new than to service an older unit that reached its end of life for efficiency as the new units use less power, less water and are more efficient (and won't need service for many years).

i have KA cooktop, and built in wall oven micro combo. great units. but Bosch makes the best DWs in the market from my experience.

We bought a Bosch several years ago, I think it's a 500 series, 3 tray, blank front (all controls on the top edge.) My sole complaint about it is that dishes never come out dry, but that's almost certainly the result of EPA regulations. We use the Finish detergent packets and the Finish rinse aid, no lingering odor.

I'd agree, something sounds wrong with a rinse cycle.
our unit has a sanitize dry which superheats the last water rinse cycle. this really aids in drying. we also don't care anymore as everything but the plastics are dry. so we pull out storage containers and let them air dry if they're wet.

i calculated that 2.5 hours a cycle, 9 loads a week is 22.5 hours use a week. 52 weeks a year is 1170 hours a year use. times 14 years, is 16,380 run time hours, which is 682.5 days straight of use, non-stop. i'll take my 14 years win and call it a success.

Our last dishwasher was a Bosch and our new house has a Whirlpool. Hands down, the Bosch is better but this one is doing the job. Gave up on packets and gels years ago. The Cascade powder (or store brand) plus Finish Rinse works as well as anything and is less costly.

No...you're not insane....at least not about this issue. It ties in with striving for that perfect cup of Joe. You don't want weird detergent smells fouling your AM coffee. I have been using two brands of pods with excellent results...mind you, local water quality is a huge factor. The Cascade Platinum is the best. ALDI Radiance pods are as good if not better. Use them both. Two different dishwashers(KitchenAid,Fisher Paykel)two different homes,different water etc...Might be a batch number issue. Or if it's really the new product., give the Aldi stuff a shot.

Been using this combo for a while, and occasionally the platinum if it's all I could get during hoardvid.

View attachment 46114

I also use this every six months.

View attachment 46115

I don't notice any smell.
I'm using this same combo of Finish Jet Dry and Cascade Complete, and I use Affresh every month.

Until a few weeks ago I had been using the solid Finish tabs from Costco with the red ball in the middle, used them for years. Never noticed an odor after washing. Now that I'm using Cascade, I do notice a slight fragrance inside the machine after each load. I don't notice any odor or slickness on the washed items when using them, however.

Larry, I'm actually pretty surprised that dishwasher has lasted you this long. While I do believe that Electrolux/Frigidaire dishwashers are decent for the money (as long as you bought a cheap one to begin with) the first one I had only lasted for about five years of heavy use. It sounds like your unit isn't doing a proper rinse cycle or the water isn't hot enough in your machine. Another problem I had with mine was it just not filling up with enough water to properly wash everything. At the end of it's life I would pour extra hot water into it to get it to work properly.

Larry, I'm actually pretty surprised that dishwasher has lasted you this long. While I do believe that Electrolux/Frigidaire dishwashers are decent for the money (as long as you bought a cheap one to begin with) the first one I had only lasted for about five years of heavy use. It sounds like your unit isn't doing a proper rinse cycle or the water isn't hot enough in your machine. Another problem I had with mine was it just not filling up with enough water to properly wash everything. At the end of it's life I would pour extra hot water into it to get it to work properly.
Ahh BNGO! Maybe it's flowing plenty of water but the internal heater is gone south. I know these things rely very heavily on water being quite hot to get the residue of soap and rinse aid off. I can't do anything about how hot the water is though but it's one part of the equation I hadn't thought of. Because I think if the rinse cycle was not functioning we'd see other issues beside just smell and a slick "feel".
Brett. the machine you sent the link to you had is the same one the Electrolux replaced. After 11 years of VERY hard use I just did not want to deal with that second pump buried deep inside the unit. I would have bought another one flat out if I could have gotten one. There was some kind of "shortage" at the time IIRC and I cannot remember why but I could not get a machine to save my life.
As for a $1400 DW ugh it's just a bad time to drop that kind of $$$. We just got done dropping close to $10k doing a master bath remodel, we still are looking at another $3500 to repair missing/bad ceiling joists in the attic come April, plus getting about 24" of insulation added, and repair a front door installation that the drunk contractor I hired fouled that up.
Plus this summer wife and I want to try to get to Italy for the wedding of an exchange student we hosted some time ago and was just the sweetest kid ever. So lots to plan for and spend on LOL

Back