Dishwasher Smell

Larry its not a pissing contest all dishwashers have a heating element for the water hidden I assume if they do not have a heating element to dry the dishes. Just trying to put out some info for someone else who needs to make a decision. I believe the rep answered your question in regard to a heating element to heat the water not to dry the dishes its two different elements. The quote above is from the Bosch website they use condensation drying. Don't take my word for it go to the Bosch website which is where I got the info.

The difference from the Bosch to the Kitchen Aid is explained here.

This KitchenAid dishwasher uses a heating element to dry the dishes. The heating element is located at the bottom of the tub. This will heat the water during wash and rinse cycles. It will also heat the air during the heated dry cycle.

Last edited:
We have two dishwashers...one in each home. The Kitchen Aid was in this place when we bought it in 2020. It was a year old then. It's one of their higher end models. It has the heating element at the bottom of the tub but it was exhausts the steam at the bottom somewhere.
We have a Fisher-Paykel in our beach house. There is no heating element in the tub yet it drys the dishes somehow. It was free as part of a rebate offer...buy a FP stove get a free dishwasher It retailed for about $1100. It does an excellent job but wouldn't have been a first choice if I were actually shopping for one. It was a royal PIA to install...and I've installed several dishwashers. I can skip rinse aid entirely in both and usually do. As has been pointed out. Both the Cascade Platinum and Aldi Radiance pods have the rinse aid in them.

Last edited:
Jay I had a Fisher washer it was excellent but they had mold problems in the outer rim of the tub had to take the tub out to try and get rid of it which basically we just got rid of it but this is a common problem with many washers especially front loading. Samsung which I am looking at has actually addressed it on the top loading side they have a cycle needs to be run once a month with bleach I think and the design allows you to clean the top of the rim also.

The other thing is for information for buyers same problem with the Fisher and the Samsung is that they way they designed the lid its basically and they are not the only one its 59" high with the lid open so the cabinet my builder installed was to low had to take it out we left it out. Doing the laundry room over so we are going to do shelves above the washer as our current washer would be fine but if we bought the Samsung it would not be fine.

Another neat thing about the Bosch was the Finish rinse dispenser. Not only did it flash an indicator when the container was empty, it also increased the washing duration to compensate.

Well, here is a weird thing. No smell today, no slimy feel, no taste on the cups for our Joe. Maybe it magically fixed itself. IDK. It's just weird. I do think if I replace it I'm going to go on the mid range ($950) Bosch. It's the least $$$ one with full stainless tub. All the others make note of a "hybrid" tub. No hybrid for me unless it's a Toyota :D
As for the "element" issue. Sorry if I pissed anyone off. Not meant. Simply repeating what Bosch tech support told me. Honestly it's a non-starter issue/point. In the end it does not change whether the unit works or it doesn't. The Electrolux uses condensing dry like Bosch but has the element "exposed". Though exposed, "present" or not. One thing I did not see is any difference in drying performance between our Bosch and this Electrolux. So bottom line in either case drying performance never came into question. It's the smell.
Now oddly we did nothing different. Used same packets, same amount of dishes, ran hot water first before starting. And still wife is a little anal about loading. She likes to nearly wash the dishes before loading them in the machine. Bottom line we did nothing different from the preceding 2 or 3 weeks and now this AM no issue.
Stay tuned the plot sickens

Isn't the rule of the universe that when you buy a replacement for a defective item that it starts to work again?

Another neat thing about the Bosch was the Finish rinse dispenser. Not only did it flash an indicator when the container was empty, it also increased the washing duration to compensate

Well the saga continues. Today? Had to rinse out my coffee cup to use it.
Junk it.
Get a Bosch. Run an Afresh tab every few months, and clean the filter a few times a year.
You won't be sorry.

Yeah, I honestly am leaning that way. Gonna give the Electrolux one more chance. Bought a different kind of detergent for it. Will give it a go the next few nights and see what happens. I have a question about that 3rd drawer rack on the better Bosch machines. How does everyone like it? I am assuming this replaces the "basket"?

Yeah, I honestly am leaning that way. Gonna give the Electrolux one more chance. Bought a different kind of detergent for it. Will give it a go the next few nights and see what happens. I have a question about that 3rd drawer rack on the better Bosch machines. How does everyone like it? I am assuming this replaces the "basket"?
Had a 3rd rack on our Kitchen Aid when we moved in. Used it for about 6 months and tossed it in the trash.

I have a question about that 3rd drawer rack on the better Bosch machines. How does everyone like it? I am assuming this replaces the "basket"?
And we're the exact opposite of @Jay D in Jersey . The basket has sat on top of the kitchen cabinets after using it once. All of the silverware and kitchen utensils land the the top/3rd tray. For us, it seems to be best use of volume.

Use my 3rd rack for long spoons, spatulas, tongs etc.
Things that would hit the sprayer arm if placed in the basket.
That's what I believe it's purpose is. For us, it limited placing taller items like travel mugs, wine glasses and other things you need to place in the top rack. I put the items you mentioned in the top rack and they get just as clean. Also, manufacturers now include features...some useful many not, like bottle washing and sanitizing, pre-rinse cycles, auto-sensing cycles.
I found that both the Kitchen Aid and Fisher-Paykel get even large loads perfectly clean and dry with the Express or Fast settings. If it's a really large load the normal setting works although literally takes hours.

I wish we could like our third rack like others do but we removed ours. For our personal taste it 1) often impeded with other dishes even though the upper and lower racks' height is adjustable and 2) the items placed therein did not dry.

We almost always have an empty space in the mid-section of our standard upper rack where we can place items that we would typically place in the third rack.

Back