Dishwasher Smell

We've been using the Cascade Platinum since we bought our Kitchenaid dishwasher a few years ago. Never an issue. But a few weeks ago, we got a Cascade Platinum sample in the mail, or somewhere and I used that. My wife came down from upstairs asking what the overwhelming scent was. And it was on the dishes when they were done. I did notice that packet had more of a single liquid in one half and a solid in the other, where the ones we currently use are mostly solid, with small amounts of three different colored liquids on one side. I hope they haven't changed the formula, otherwise, we'll be switching brands. FWIW, all loads since that one have gone back to normal, so I'm fairly certain our 'issue' had nothing to do with the water or the dishwasher.

Last edited:
We're on the Bosch team too. It is the best dishwasher built, hands-down.
We use Finish "Max in 1" tabs and Finish Jet-Dry and run Afresh cleaning tabs every few months.

I changed from the pods with the liquids in them like the platinum as they made all my silicon dishware smell of detergent. I'd taste food and get a gross flavour. This did change from past years.

I now use the less expensive pods that just seem to be compressed powder and odor is all gone.

Dishes are still spotless and cheaper to run...

I changed from the pods with the liquids in them like the platinum as they made all my silicon dishware smell of detergent. I'd taste food and get a gross flavour. This did change from past years.

I now use the less expensive pods that just seem to be compressed powder and odor is all gone.

Dishes are still spotless and cheaper to run...
Have to imagine that a lot of a dishwashers performance is tied directly to the type of water in one's locale.

I also have a Kitchen Aid bought the same time that Dan bought his. It has a heating element which my wife demanded she wanted the damn dishes dry not all dishwashers have one. It has a special drying cycle and its by far the quietest dishwasher we have ever had. Bosch makes a good unit but they are generally smaller inside so less capacity maybe that has changed.

Bosch makes a good unit but they are generally smaller inside so less capacity maybe that has changed.
I do not think ours was any smaller inside, but the racks are quite a bit different from a lot of brands. Once you figure the best way to load, it holds just as much.

From reading these posts, I wonder about the pod use. Pods contain detergent and a rinse agent yet everyone seems to use them and the Finish rinse agent. Why use them if you still need a rinse agent?

From reading these posts, I wonder about the pod use. Pods contain detergent and a rinse agent yet everyone seems to use them and the Finish rinse agent. Why use them if you still need a rinse agent?
My KA came with a Cascade Pod sample and a small bottle of Finish.

Never really thought about it. They work well for me

We refuse to use pods. The liquid is less expensive and depending on soil amount we can dial down or up the detergent. Rinse aid just does it’s thing.

On a couple notes. I don't get why people complain about Bosch not drying the dishes. Ours dried them fine all the time. I love the way they work and the fact that there is no steam under the counter. If you follow directions they will dry as well as any other. BTW All machines have a heating element. Just because you don't see it does not mean there isn't one. IN better units like Bosch they're under the main filter screen.

Got a new DW in January and it had a sample of Cascade so I tried it and the dishes had a really strong scent to them. So much so that you could smell it when you opened the cupboard we keep the dishes in. Went back to
our store brand and everything is fine.

On a couple notes. I don't get why people complain about Bosch not drying the dishes. Ours dried them fine all the time. I love the way they work and the fact that there is no steam under the counter. If you follow directions they will dry as well as any other. BTW All machines have a heating element. Just because you don't see it does not mean there isn't one. IN better units like Bosch they're under the main filter screen.
My new Bosch does a better job at drying plastics than the previous model. Dishes have always dried fine.

We have time of day electricity rates. We love the time delay feature on this model. This way we run the DW at the least expensive time costs.

BTW All machines have a heating element. Just because you don't see it does not mean there isn't one.
In terms of an element for drying (which you may not be referring to), I was under the impression that many newer units do not have an element. A water heater, yes, but not an actual heater element. And possibly that many makers use high-heat water rinse and a condensation approach to aid with drying.

We replaced our dishwasher last year because the tub developed a hole just above the element. During my search, I was discouraged that it seemed many folks ditched the drying element but we are pleased with how our dishwasher dries dishes (so long as we add a separate rinse aid).

Last edited:
On a couple notes. I don't get why people complain about Bosch not drying the dishes. Ours dried them fine all the time.
Our Bosch did not have a drying element, but the water was so hot that the dishes were dry when we removed them. Ran at bedtime (absolutely silent, so no sleep problems) and unloaded in the morning. Just as dry as our current Whirlpool with an element. Nice thing about no element is you do not accidently melt a plastic lid that falls through.

They all have a drying element. Just some hide it. My Bosch had one. The Electrolux has an exposed one and I hate it

They all have a drying element. Just some hide it. My Bosch had one. The Electrolux has an exposed one and I hate it
The Bosch has a water heating element so all water is at preprogrammed temps. This was a major feature for us 15 years ago as it enabled me to lower the hot water heater knowing the DW would always make its correct water temp. This way we didn’t waste heating the 50 gallon water heater during the day.

All machines do not have a heating element to dry dishes to heat water yes dry dishes no. The Kitchen Aid does but you do not have to use it has a special cycle but as my wife would say whats the point. No rinse aid is required if you have a heating element that drys dishes and we have certainly never melted any plastics which usually go on the top shelf anyway.

Condensation drying is more hygenic and energy efficient than drying with a heating element. Additionally, since Bosch dishwashers do not use a heating element, your plastics are safe in the lower rack. Here's how it works: The final rinse uses high-temperature water to make the dishes very hot.

I was educated about this from someone at Lowes who actually knew what they were talking about, our former dishwasher sometimes had this musty smell maybe not describing it correctly I was talking with this associate and she said if you have a drying element it won't be an issue and it never has been. That is how I ended up with the Kitchen Aid because it did and it actually dry's the dishes. :)

Last edited:
Sorry was told by a Bosch rep that they DO use an element but that it is hidden as when we bought ours I too had questions about this. Called Bosch and spoke to an actual tech. He told me it's just like with electric ovens. Some have the element exposed some do not.
Be that as it may. Last thing I wanted here was a pissing contest. Just looking for info on the smell :D I think bottom line I will likely be looking at a mid range Bosch in the near future. Unless I can hold it out until I get new counters (quartz). THEN I will have different opportunities i.e. a KitchenAid or some other quality brand. If I could find a KA that used condensing dry I would definitely consider that as well. But, for now, I am going to try a different soap. Though I'm still shaking my head on that one as this issue literally just started. So I'm thinking the water heat booster is not working correctly

Back