Different method of smoking ribs?

Aldo

I have been using the 3-2-1 or sometimes the 3-2 method and the ribs are always great but was wondering if any of ya'll have a better method?

I have a cpl different ways cited in a cpl different cookbooks.

For example, I have been experimenting with higher temps and no foil. I did 350*F in ~3 hrs this eve.

Another book says wrap them first for 90 min then unwrap and finish on the grill.

There's even a stack method where the ribs are cycled from bottom to top.

I am sure there are more.

So many different techniques out there... Foil or no foil? What temp? I cook my ribs at 225-250 without foiling. Usually takes 4 - 4 1/2 hours saucing a few times the last hour or so.

I do 275 for 4-6 hours no foil. I start checking at 4 hours for tenderness and then every 30 minutes until they are ready to pull. After I pull em I immediately sauce them while they rest for 10 minutes then slice in 2 bone portions. My family and I prefer em this way. I've tried many variations and this is what we like best. So we stick with it.

I used to do the 3-2-1 low & slow and was happy, but in 2013 I started just cooking them at 275 no wrapping. I thought the ribs were better, but the ribs were no longer fall off the bone. Now, I still cook at 275 but I cook for about 1.5 hours unwrapped, I then wrap in paper and cook for about .75 to 1 hour and then I unwrap and cook for maybe .5 hour with the BBQ sauce on. I start off with the meat down for the first half hour of the cook and then flip them meatside up, and mop

This has been a winner for me, family & friends say it's the best

Interesting. Don't really care for foil as it tears too easily. That paper is tough. Gotta try it next time.

Interesting. Don't really care for foil as it tears too easily. That paper is tough. Gotta try it next time.
You will like. Lots of good cooks here using butcher paper, I've yet to try that, only because I haven't got my hands on any. Parchment Paper is available everywhere

I used to do 3-2-1 but havent done it in quite a while. cook at 250-275 no foil start basting after the bark is set and pull when they are just starting to break when bending them. I feel i get a better texture rib when doing it this way and i like to have a good bark on them with no sauce which i had a harder time getting when i wrapped them.

For me 3 h unwrapped @250F. Then wrapped in pink butcher paper for 2 h more @250F. Stop. Pulled off and sauced and sliced.
Enrico. Do you mop or turn your ribs during the 3 hours unwrapped? Just curious, cuz your ribs are what I want my ribs to become :)

I used to do 3-1-1 at 250F on St. Louis spares but switched to no foil, do it much like Adam and like the texture better. With SLS, I usually cook them at 250, starting after about 3 hours will sprtiz them about every 30 minutes with apple juice/apple cider vinegar until they are done. They've been ready to take off anywhere from 4.5 to 5.5 hours.

Back