Did someone say cast iron?

Webster

TVWBB Member
Just scored a monster #20 cast iron skillet for the Weber kettle. Have not cleaned it up yet, just trying it on for size. Check it out:

xm6txfO.jpg

Tomorrow I'll scrub it down and season it up. Can't wait to grill up some bacon... :cool:

Will be sharing pictures for sure. Hamburgers, pork chops, what else would this thing be good for? I need ideas...

Very nice addition !

What year is your kettle ?
Your ash ring has an angular entry for the pot handle....mine is more vertical.
I would call mine a 2nd gen with the H-drive damper....yours looks like there's been another revision....2.1 mebbe.

The kettle is two years old, but it was purchased as a one touch silver. The ash catcher was added just recently, like last month. I painted the bottom part black for looks.

Had to cut the handles off of the grate so the skillet could sit flat. Needed a new one anyway. The handles of the skillet are at the perfect height, they rest on the sides of the kettle and the skillet sits flat on the grate. Super stable. The only "issue" is the lid. I can put it on but there is a small gap all the way around due to the skillet handles. At least it's fairly stable, but I will have to be careful so I don't knock it off and wreck it.

I like that black ash catcher :). Not to change subjects but did you have any issues attaching the ash catcher? I want to do the same to a silver. The other difference to the Silver is that the kettle only has one handle, I have silver and OTG which has 2 handles on the kettle I didn't really notice that for a while.

No problems attaching the ash catcher. It "snapped" right in and is very sturdy.

Bought the whole assembly (SKU 63093) from All Parts Grills for only $28.90, they had it when everyone else was on back order, had it in my hands within a few days.

Thanks. I found it in Medford via craigs list. They wanted 125, I offered 80, we settled on 100. Turns out it's 1960s era Lodge and well worth the price. I was hoping it was something like THIS, but I'm a user not a collector.

Does food taste different when cooked in a skillet over the coals versus the same skillet on your cooktop in the kitchen?

To me it does. I often use a CI skillet on the grill. I can add that apple smoke flavor to pork chops, for example, and still get that skillet "crust" going on. Burgers are very good too, like the ones from a good dinner. I prefer doing it on the outdoor grill so it does not stink the house up. This is important in the winter months because you can't just open the windows when it's below freezing outside, but grilling is still doable.

Just my opinion...

I have skillets and griddles from several manufactures and really do prefer the old '30s-'40s era Griswold pieces. The main reason is due to the smooth cooking surface. The newer stuff has a rough sand cast like finish, but old ones are smooth as glass. They are easier to clean and once seasoned are very non-stick. The Griswold items are also lighter / thinner walled. This makes them easier to handle. I look for what is called "large block logo" items. My stove has a glass top surface and the smooth bottom works best for me. If I can keep them all the same "logo", I'm happy. The skillet that I use the most is a #8 Griswold "777 Chicken Pan". It has high sides and a lid for frying chicken. I use it for many things, the high sides keep my stovetop clean(er). With the lid it's like a dutch oven. The older Griswold and Wager pieces really are a better quality, you can really tell when cooking with them. Once you get the hang of cleaning these things, they are hard to beat.

Ghg1soP.jpg

The maiden voyage: burgers, home grown zucchini and a few jalapenos. Lesson learned - a full chimney is too much. It was a very fast-paced cook, much too hot. Had the temp control thing all the way off and still too hot. Next time, less charcoal.

Ghg1soP.jpg

The maiden voyage: burgers, home grown zucchini and a few jalapenos. Lesson learned - a full chimney is too much. It was a very fast-paced cook, much too hot. Had the temp control thing all the way off and still too hot. Next time, less charcoal.

Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade, but my experience with cast iron tells me a two zone fire is a much better way to go.....so I'd get a Ranch Kettle! :)

Last edited:

Back