Defective Smoke receiver

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Has anyone had trouble with their Thermaworks Smoke?
My receiver isn’t receiving anymore...
worked fine on SmokeDay for two or three hours, then lost it.
Not working today either 😡

DAE499F6-2C3D-4C47-9E9D-DE2DBA1D5F4E.jpeg

My Smoke has stopped communicating with the Smoke Receiver. What do I do?​

Your Smoke and its Receiver may simply need to be re-synced. You may download the instructions here: Smoke Receiver Sync Instructions

If the sync instructions do not work, the devices may need to be reset. This is done by removing the batteries from both Smoke and Smoke Receiver. Leave the batteries out for five minutes before reinstalling. Then, repeat the sync process.

If this does not work, please contact our Tech Support team. They will be happy to help.

Good info. Mine loses connect sometimes when I take it in the house to the other end of the house from the grill, but it reconnects quickly. As long as it is within reasonable range, it never misses a beat. But, if it does, I am glad there are troubleshooting steps available.

My Smoke has stopped communicating with the Smoke Receiver. What do I do?​

Your Smoke and its Receiver may simply need to be re-synced. You may download the instructions here: Smoke Receiver Sync Instructions

If the sync instructions do not work, the devices may need to be reset. This is done by removing the batteries from both Smoke and Smoke Receiver. Leave the batteries out for five minutes before reinstalling. Then, repeat the sync process.

If this does not work, please contact our Tech Support team. They will be happy to help.
sounds like the company IT guru that tells you to unplug the computer to fix it...
but i'll give this a shot. Thanks Chris!

My main unit locked up mid cook. Temp froze and I could not adjust anything.

I replaced batteries in both main and remote but no joy.

Main unit turns on with a full display of all 8s, beeps once, but is otherwise not responsive.

After all 8s the screen goes blank.

Attachments

• 20210615_212812.jpg
    20210615_212812.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 2
Have a product not working properly that might need a repair or service?
Call us for help: 1-800-393-6434 during business hours: 6am – 7pm M-F, and 9am-4pm Saturday, MST
Request a return authorization: techsupport@thermoworks.com

Good news.

Overnight with batteries removed from both main smoke unit and smoke remote, followed by a battery replacement sync and both appear to be working fine.

Last night I attempted with the batteries out for 10 mins, 10 mins again later ( this time with a timer ) and again 30 mins.

I'm glad this is working as I have several longer lower smokes planned in the next few days.

It makes me think I may need a second unit as a backup, or maybe a temp control setup for my BGE.

Also, I emailed TW tech support and they had a suggestion for me first thing to leave the batt's out for 10 mins and if it didn't work contact them.

I advised them it is working after no batteries for 8 hours and also asked if there is a secret combination of buttons to press to force the reset.

edit: I just received a reply from TW that the battery removal is the only reset method.

Today when I turned the smoker on, the main screen was blank again. Tried resetting with no success. I chatted with tech support and they will be shipping a replacement as this is under warranty.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions.

btw, the thermoworks chat feature worked pretty well. the back-and-forth was much easier than email.

Back