Decided to return my Weber SmokeFire ex-6

Antti P

TVWBB Member
Hi guys!

it has been a while! I use to own 18.5” WSM and had that more than 10 years. Eventially got tired it always been full of water and moldy and pulled the trigger on ex-6 pellet grill bit over two years a go. I donated my WSM and 22,5” Kettle to a random family who always dreamed of having those but didn’t have the financial’s to make it happen.

So after about 2.5y of constant issues my local reseller is now willing to take the ex-6 back and give my money back. First thought was to go with Traeger Ironwood as replacement, but I remembered the good times that I had with my WSM. These days I live in a house with deck that has roof on it. So, maybe I could have WSM again and this time without the rainwater and mold issues.

Question to you guys and girls (and other), what is the build quality these days with WSM’s? Are they US made or China? If it is not under direct rain, could I use it potentially without issues with mold and rainwater buildup? I live in Northern Europe if that makes a difference on the manufacturing location.

Thanks and great to be writing here again!!

p.s.
Just to add that the mold issue was real pain as I quite often needed to pressure wash the thing before I could use it, i.e. bit too much on top of all the other prep I needed to do. Also, moving away form ex-6 the last thing I want is another bad quality device.

Good question - I have not studied that at all..

EDIT:
Had a look and it is unfortenately out of my price range.

I would think the EX6 cost is similar to a WSK E6, but I don't really know prices in Finland.

Yeah, it isn't cheap, yet I've not met anyone who regrets getting one. A benefit of a kamado is winter cooking and cooking temp not being bothered as much by snow, and wind and the versatility of a smoker, a grill, a pizza oven...

I would think the EX6 cost is similar to a WSK E6, but I don't really know prices in Finland.

Yeah, it isn't cheap, yet I've not met anyone who regrets getting one. A benefit of a kamado is winter cooking and cooking temp not being bothered as much by snow, and wind and the versatility of a smoker, a grill, a pizza oven...
Hey, I was too hasty. e6 ”basic” model is in the same price range. Little skeptic with these ”one does all” devices. I will investigate more..

Same as it ever was. There are no changes and still made in the USA.
Thanks Chris! And even bigger thanks for the fact you are the man who tought me how to barbeque! I think it’s been almost 15 years now when I joined here with brand new WSM and completely clueless. I educated myself from your recipes and techniques and now I’m the man who all neighbours and friends call for advice. Cannot even count how many times I have shared your ”how to prep st.Louis style ribs” video to friends and relatives as it still today probably the best one out there!

I hope you don’t mind the kudos - I’m hit by covid at the moment and maybe thats why I’m all emotional here :D!

Hello Antti. Years ago there was a thread on this great site. I had the same issue. But it is an easy fix! All you have to do is turn the middle section upside down put the lid top back on (of course with the damper in the closed position and cover it! That’s it. Water does not get in it. Just Make sure the door is in the upside down position and all the vents are closed on the bottom too. I also remember a member saying to drill a little hole in the bottom To let the water drain out. I figured to try the turning the middle section over first to see if that work. Which like I said did and for me there was no reason to drill. Hope this helps you.

I have left my 22” WSM outside with an aftermarket cover for years. No mold. If you are using water in the pan that could be the culprit.

Hey, I was too hasty. e6 ”basic” model is in the same price range. Little skeptic with these ”one does all” devices. I will investigate more..

some of the Weber Summit Kamado posts have been tagged: https://tvwbb.com/tags/wsk/

as far as the "one does all", watching a year or so of @Brett-EDH cooking on one pushed me over the edge to get one. I've had a large BGE for over a decade and love it, yet the 18 inch grate is too small. I wasn't happy with my pellet and bought a WSM to try, and decided it wasn't for me. If I could only keep one it would be a very hard choice between the large BGE and the WSK.

I use this on my WSM 22. It sits out 12 months a year. Rain, sleet, snow. Always dry inside. Its called the Hickory Series. I believe I got it on Amazon two years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20221221_115407.jpg
    IMG_20221221_115407.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 6
I’ll be bold and say the Kamado will cook circles around a WSM. I have the Summit which is the predecessor to the Kamado and it is absolutely my favorite grill. It will, truly, do everything and anything.

I think they’re running about 500 less than the Summit did which makes it a better buy for the same exact bowl.

I would HIGHLY suggest one. My two pennies

some of the Weber Summit Kamado posts have been tagged: https://tvwbb.com/tags/wsk/

as far as the "one does all", watching a year or so of @Brett-EDH cooking on one pushed me over the edge to get one. I've had a large BGE for over a decade and love it, yet the 18 inch grate is too small. I wasn't happy with my pellet and bought a WSM to try, and decided it wasn't for me. If I could only keep one it would be a very hard choice between the large BGE and the WSK.
that’s me. I’m a bad influence.

Back