Dang Good Chicken

Scott Lester

TVWBB Member
The baskets make the BEST chicken breasts every time!!! Rubbed with olive oil, seasoned with Some Chicken Rub (enhance your breasts) and grilled to perfection. Two chunks of apple wood for flavor. So juicy and delicious.

From my experience for grill baking chicken like this, I prefer these to my Slow-N-Sear. I feel the chicken cooks more evenly with the 3 zone cooking.

I never even flip them. Just cook to 165° and pull.

PXL_20210209_231250339.jpg

PXL_20210209_225307531.jpg

Great looking chicken and backyard/deck! I see you have the vortex as well. That's my favorite accessory for the kettle. Slow 'n sear is a distant 2nd. I traded my slow n' sear for a bottle of bourbon. I don't think I can part with my vortex...

I’ve been doing chicken breasts that way from the first time a did them, it never fails! Just had breakfast and, I want some chicken for a mid morning snack! I think there is too much heat using the vortex for breasts unless you are extremely vigilant, the baskets are more forgiving.

Great looking chicken and backyard/deck! I see you have the vortex as well. That's my favorite accessory for the kettle. Slow 'n sear is a distant 2nd. I traded my slow n' sear for a bottle of bourbon. I don't think I can part with my vortex...
I do love both, but the SnS wins out for me. I LOVE pulled pork and Brisket more than wings. Also can almost accomplish what the Vortex does with the SnS (high heat).

BUT I still love the Vortex too and use it for wings.

I do like my front deck too! Built it myself having never built nothing.

I really like the Vortex better than the SNS for anything that needs a good sear. To me that SNS has sort of an odd shape for searing steaks, and the Vortex is just a little more efficient with the charcoal vs. the SNS when it comes to that task. On the other hand the SNS wins hands down for smoking. In the end, we're all just trying to solve our first world problems and see how many BBQ and smoking toys we can have before our wives threaten leave us right? ;)

Scott;
I am going to take your post to heart! I am not a big fan of chicken breasts (my favorites are Vortex wings, drummies, and thighs) but I am definitely going to give your method a try or two! That looks absolutely like what I need to be doing. When and if we get through the winter storms we have been hit with lately (a mess coming tonight and early this week:mad:,,,

Thanks for sharing!
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
Im going to give that a try, I get such mixed results from my chicken breasts. That certainly looks easy enough.
Thanks

Im going to give that a try, I get such mixed results from my chicken breasts. That certainly looks easy enough.
Thanks
I use the same 3 zone set up and follow similar instructions for BSCB, which I grill a lot of! I do flip them and at the end put right over the fire if I want a little sear, just a little, but I get great consistent results.

The baskets make the BEST chicken breasts every time!!! Rubbed with olive oil, seasoned with Some Chicken Rub (enhance your breasts) and grilled to perfection. Two chunks of apple wood for flavor. So juicy and delicious.

From my experience for grill baking chicken like this, I prefer these to my Slow-N-Sear. I feel the chicken cooks more evenly with the 3 zone cooking.

I never even flip them. Just cook to 165° and pull.

View attachment 22474

View attachment 22475
First I have used this method on chicken and pork chops with great success, most and controllable. Yours looks great.
Second I bought that same grill for my brother for Christmas he loves the color,and it is his first performer and his is in love .

Scott, big thumbs up on your gas assist Performer. For me, chicken breasts pose grilling nightmares due to their end-to-end size and thickness. Like the others here, I’d really like to see the “after” shots.

I've been grilling bone-in breast & leg quarters like this forever, what am I missing here! I didn't realize this was a new technique!

Either bank the coals to one side or use the baskets on each side. The only thing I pay more attention to is that I do brine the bird overnight & not to go crazy with the charcoal. I never turn them, I never look at them until about an hour into the cook.

Back