Cutting boards

OK. About a month or more into owning this Boos cutting board. It really is outstanding. I've oiled this one one down for the third time yesterday. The one at our beach house I only oiled once when we got it. Haven't been there in 2 weeks or so. I used the package of Boos Mystery Oil that came with it. It's good stuff, but overall result is no different than with grocery store mineral oil and the Walrus Wax.
I'm thinking once per month based on using it almost every day is fine.

Daily I use little polyethylene sheet cutting boards. They simply go in the dishwasher and shove into a cabinet on the side of whatever items are in the cabinet up against the wall. Take up no room as they're only about 1/16 of an inch thick. I got a pack of three of them at a flea market for a dollar probably 30 years ago..... Still doing the job. You can pick it up and curl it and slide everything off it into the pot

Got a big wooden one that hangs on the side of the cabinets it's actually dished slightly to retain juices... Rarely use it. Use the big disposable cardboard cutting boards for big items particularly briskets, ribs, turkeys, etc.. washing a wood board is such a hassle I'd rather justthrow them away...18x24, edge folds up to retain juices.about $1 each Wood cutting boards are decoration really.

Last edited:
I just made this one for an anniversary gift. First of three coats of oil.
Maple, cherry, maple, walnut, maple.. 12"x18"x 1 1/2".
Wood prices are way up! This is around $75.00 in material. 😳
Certainly a beautiful piece and a worthy present! I hope that it isn't for a 40th or 50th anniversary because it would outlast the couple. Unfortunate that even little strips of hardwood cost so much.

My only critiques are tiny. I would have skipped the feet to make it two-side. Also, the groove creates a weak point where the board could split. I might have moved it down the center of a strip instead of along an edge.

I made something like this in 7th grade woodshop back in like 1987 for my mom, except that instead of the groove it had "Mom's kitchen" or something like that routed across the face of it. It lasted for decades but eventually split apart. Fifty years for my parents May 13.

I just made this one for an anniversary gift. First of three coats of oil.
Maple, cherry, maple, walnut, maple.. 12"x18"x 1 1/2".
Wood prices are way up! This is around $75.00 in material. 😳
View attachment 46611

View attachment 46612
Very nice MikeB I like it. As a fellow woodworker I make mine from the scraps left from other wood projects. I don’t know what others here may do but I learned from another long time board maker to wet the board with water then let dry and hit with 220 paper as many times as it takes until the grain stops raising. At that point applying the oil will not fuzz or raise any grain and the board will remain very smooth after each coat of oil.

Certainly a beautiful piece and a worthy present! I hope that it isn't for a 40th or 50th anniversary because it would outlast the couple. Unfortunate that even little strips of hardwood cost so much.

My only critiques are tiny. I would have skipped the feet to make it two-side. Also, the groove creates a weak point where the board could split. I might have moved it down the center of a strip instead of along an edge.

I made something like this in 7th grade woodshop back in like 1987 for my mom, except that instead of the groove it had "Mom's kitchen" or something like that routed across the face of it. It lasted for decades but eventually split apart. Fifty years for my parents May 13.
The rubber feet are screwed into it and can be easily removed if ever there were a desire to do so.
Properly glued and clamped joints are stronger than solid wood. [Edited by moderator]

It's a beautiful finished product and the subsequent oil treatment is indicative of someone that knows woodworking.

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as it pains me to say it, I checked out cutting boards at webrestaurantstore.com and they state pretty unequivocally that their wooden cutting boards are for presentation that that their plastic boards are for back-of-the-house operations.
[Edited by moderator]
I'd take the word of any of the folks here instead: https://www.johnboos.com/chefs.asp?s=r

Or these folks:

The rubber feet are screwed into it and can be easily removed if ever there were a desire to do so.
Properly glued and clamped joints are stronger than solid wood. [Edited by moderator]

It's a beautiful finished product and the subsequent oil treatment is indicative of someone that knows woodworking.
I agree with all of this. My issue was the end user - my mom. She didn't use it until I was about 30 because she thought it was too beautiful. After she did start using it as a cutting board, she probably eventually soaked it in the sink or dishwashed it or something. She was a little crazy then. Now that she is 76 she is very crazy, unfortunately.

I'm not a woodworker, but I do buy mineral oil by the gallon.

[Edited by moderator]
I'd take the word of any of the folks here instead: https://www.johnboos.com/chefs.asp?s=r

Or these folks:

That's a big beautiful board. I have a 18 x 24 x 1-1/2" edge grain teak and it gets used for carving turkey's and whole packer briskets. Kinda big for everyday use though imo.
I have 14 x 20 x 2-1/2" and 12 x 16 x 2" end grain teak boards that get used regularly
The little one gets used every day.

I am not an admin or moderator.

I just read through this entire thread and I thought I was on another BBQ forum.

Can we abide by the purpose of this forum by sharing "information...and our enthusiasm for Weber products, barbecuing, and grilling?" (Please Be Kind: Post Respectfully - https://tvwbb.com/threads/please-be-kind-post-respectfully.57300/)

Further: "It's OK to disagree with another member on a particular subject, but do so without attacking or criticizing the person. Be constructive in your comments."

I get it - rising inflation and global instability added with personal strife are factors making us all on edge. Let's support each other rather than tear each other down.

@Chris Allingham, am I out of touch with your intent with this site?

@Chris Allingham, am I out of touch with your intent with this site?
No, you're absolutely correct on this one.

Just deleted several replies in this thread and snipped content from others. I cannot possibly follow every thread on this forum. I count on members to follow the letter and the spirit of the forum rules, and when people don't, I count on members to bring these matters to my attention, which Jepprey P did--thank you.

It seems like we've had some "chippy conversations" recently between members. I've been doing this for 22 years and I've seen this kind of thing come and go at times. There's a lot to be stressed about right now, but let's not take it out on each other. Keep posts positive, helpful, constructive, friendly, and kind. It's OK to disagree with someone, I encourage people to express their opinions and points of view, but do so respectfully and without jabbing someone in the process. And please don't take the bait when someone's comments go off the rails, just let me know and I'll take a look.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:

Just deleted five replies in this thread. I cannot possibly follow every thread on this forum. I count on members to follow the letter and the spirit of the forum rules, and when people don't, I count on members to bring these matters to my attention, which Jepprey P did--thank you.

It seems like we've had some "chippy conversations" recently between members. I've been doing this for 22 years and I've seen this kind of thing come and go at times. There's a lot to be stressed about right now, but let's not take it out on each other. Keep posts positive, helpful, constructive, friendly, and kind. It's OK to disagree with someone, I encourage people to express their opinions and points of view, but do so respectfully and without jabbing someone in the process. And please don't take the bait when someone's comments go off the rails, just let me know and I'll take a look.

Thanks,
Chris
Perhaps I should apologize for calling folks out on their snarky, condescending remarks. But I won't.
Funny how those aren't the ones that get censored.

Just deleted five replies in this thread. I cannot possibly follow every thread on this forum. I count on members to follow the letter and the spirit of the forum rules, and when people don't, I count on members to bring these matters to my attention, which Jepprey P did--thank you.

Thanks,
Chris
I'll stand up here at the risk of being banned...which would be sad.
When someone posts about a product they like and another replies with derogatory or contrary points...OK...but than have facts to back your disagreement, not platitudes and wishful thinking or deflection.

Perhaps I should apologize for calling folks out on their snarky, condescending remarks. But I won't.
Funny how those aren't the ones that get censored.
Since you've brought it up, yes, you should apologize. I read all the replies in this thread, the only snark was yours.
When someone posts about a product they like and another replies with derogatory or contrary points...OK...but than have facts to back your disagreement, not platitudes and wishful thinking or deflection.
That's all well and good. But when someone doesn't post to your liking, it's not your place to post snarky replies. And if someone else is snarky, it doesn't help to respond with snark, that only makes matters worse. Please refrain.

Back