Cutting boards

Will you be making more of these for sale?
That's funny, the recipient of the one on the left suggested I could sell some.
Unfortunately I think they would be cost prohibitive due to current lumber costs. Those two pictured work out to $75.00 each just in wood. :oops: That's for maple, cherry, and walnut.

That's funny, the recipient of the one on the left suggested I could sell some.
Unfortunately I think they would be cost prohibitive due to current lumber costs. Those two pictured work out to $75.00 each just in wood. :oops: That's for maple, cherry, and walnut.
I'm not so sure about that, follow the link on post #23 of this thread.

I'm not so sure about that, follow the link on post #23 of this thread.
Holy smokes! That's some serious pricing there....
Add feet for $15.00???? Heck, I paid 8 bucks for a bag of 8.

Now that I have the jigs made I can knock one out pretty quick. I should re-examine my career. (kidding)

Holy smokes! That's some serious pricing there....
Add feet for $15.00???? Heck, I paid 8 bucks for a bag of 8.

Now that I have the jigs made I can knock one out pretty quick. I should re-examine my career. (kidding)
I think Eric is saying that you could keep your career and still sell cutting boards if you were so inclined. They are a convenient size to ship or carry to vendor fairs. You could do custom work. There is always internet sales. Pricing is strong and they go together quickly, as you point out. You could sell one or one thousand, depending on your whim. No particular aggravation as far as insurance, licensing, etc. either.

These wood cutting boards look Amazing.
I cringe when I see cooking shows and videos where they throw a whole raw chicken down on a wood cutting board to season it before it hits the grill, then put it back on what appears to be the same board to carve it up. Am I missing something? How do folks sanitize their wood boards?

Last edited:
These wood cutting boards look Amazing.
I cringe when I see cooking shows and videos where they throw a whole raw chicken down on a wood cutting board to season it before it hits the grill, then put it back on what appears to be the same board to carve it up. Am I missing something? How do folks sanitize their wood boards?
If it's a "proper" show, they don't since the food you see being made isn't what's actually being eaten on camera.

If it's a rando on YT, let's hope they're doing it off camera or they just throw the board away.

Alternatively, they take them all to Flavortown.

How do folks sanitize their wood boards?

From johnboos.com:

Q: How do I keep my cutting board sanitized?
A: Keep your Boos ® cutting board sanitized by simply washing it with hot soapy water after each use and dry it with a clean paper towel or let it air dry. If you want to sanitize the board more thoroughly, use a diluted mixture of chlorine bleach or vinegar solution that consist of one teaspoon of liquid chlorine bleach in one quart of water or a one to five dilution of vinegar. Do not soak or submerge the board in water, for this will disrupt the moisture content and cause the rails to split. Wood cutting boards are NOT dishwasher safe.

From cooksillustrated.com:

If you can’t use a dishwasher (which won’t work for wood, bamboo, and some composite boards), is bleaching the next best method for eliminating bacteria from your cutting board?

We sent a stack of boards to a lab, where they were colonized with salmonella, then washed with hot soapy water or sprayed with bleach solution or undiluted vinegar. All methods were equally effective at reducing bacteria to less than 10 CFUs (colony forming units).

We asked an outside lab to compare wood, plastic, bamboo, and composite cutting boards to see if any particular material harbored more bacteria after washing. Bamboo boards actually have antibacterial properties that help kill off bacteria, but all of the materials we tested came back perfectly clean.

From johnboos.com:

Q: How do I keep my cutting board sanitized?
A: Keep your Boos ® cutting board sanitized by simply washing it with hot soapy water after each use and dry it with a clean paper towel or let it air dry. If you want to sanitize the board more thoroughly, use a diluted mixture of chlorine bleach or vinegar solution that consist of one teaspoon of liquid chlorine bleach in one quart of water or a one to five dilution of vinegar. Do not soak or submerge the board in water, for this will disrupt the moisture content and cause the rails to split. Wood cutting boards are NOT dishwasher safe.

From cooksillustrated.com:

If you can’t use a dishwasher (which won’t work for wood, bamboo, and some composite boards), is bleaching the next best method for eliminating bacteria from your cutting board?

We sent a stack of boards to a lab, where they were colonized with salmonella, then washed with hot soapy water or sprayed with bleach solution or undiluted vinegar. All methods were equally effective at reducing bacteria to less than 10 CFUs (colony forming units).

We asked an outside lab to compare wood, plastic, bamboo, and composite cutting boards to see if any particular material harbored more bacteria after washing. Bamboo boards actually have antibacterial properties that help kill off bacteria, but all of the materials we tested came back perfectly clean.
This is interesting. Bleach...I get it. Vinegar though? That one is interesting. I stick with the hot water, dish soap and a dish brush method....and a thorough rinse.

This is interesting. Bleach...I get it. Vinegar though? That one is interesting. I stick with the hot water, dish soap and a dish brush method....and a thorough rinse.

Live and learn!

Back