Cutting boards

I own a Boos cutting board and they are very nice, but I sort of ruined mine (didn't maintain it well enough) and it needs to be put thru some kind of high end sander or planer and have a 1/8" or so removed and resealed. Unfortunately I don't know anyone with a planer that size so my boos block has been in storage for several years and I've been using plastic boards. Maybe I should call boos?

I like the lighter weight and ease of cleaning plastic boards, but the look, feel and performance of a well maintained wooden board can't be beat.

This cutting board from https://www.krisdevo.com/devos-woodcraft is beautiful! I wonder how long it takes him to make the largest one?

1643464029640.png

I own a Boos cutting board and they are very nice, but I sort of ruined mine (didn't maintain it well enough) and it needs to be put thru some kind of high end sander or planer and have a 1/8" or so removed and resealed. Unfortunately I don't know anyone with a planer that size so my boos block has been in storage for several years and I've been using plastic boards. Maybe I should call boos?

I like the lighter weight and ease of cleaning plastic boards, but the look, feel and performance of a well maintained wooden board can't be beat.

This cutting board from https://www.krisdevo.com/devos-woodcraft is beautiful! I wonder how long it takes him to make the largest one?

View attachment 44372
You might want to look on Facebook Marketplace for folks that sell live edge tables and such. There are several around our area. They could likely help you out.

View attachment 44372
John, look for a cabinetmaker, running the board through a planer or “Timesaver“ should square you away in pretty short order.
Take a sample of something as a bribe at least when you pick it up. I pay my buddy in grilled/smoked products whenever I borrow his skills.

Got my eyes on one of these works of art. American made by a small business. And very high quality:

Eye Candy! I just checked out a few YouTube videos outstanding! The large with juice groove & feet is on my future short list.

Same here.
I just bought this bamboo one which I like alot. I got as an Amazon Warehouse deal—Like New for a little more than half price. ($18.66)

Amazon's Choice
Butcher Block Cutting Board - Bamboo Chopping Block for Carving Meat - Reversible 17 x 13 x 1.5 Inch Wood Serving Tray wit...

Butcher Block Cutting Board - Bamboo Chopping Block for Carving Meat - Reversible 17 x 13 x 1.5 Inch Wood Serving Tray with Juice Groove and Spikes, Stabilizes Steak While Carving

Dammit! I gotta quit browsing these types of threads!

Mine will be here Thursday:cool:

Dammit! I gotta quit browsing these types of threads!

Mine will be here Thursday:cool:
Let me know how you like it it. It’s at at great price now. It comes with food grade mineral oil already applied but will need to be redone occasionally. I bought this one from Amazon for easy application. ($9.99 on sale)

Bamboogle Food Grade Mineral Oil For Cutting Boards - No Mess Cutting Board Oil With Easy Applicator

Let me know how you like it it. It’s at at great price now. It comes with food grade mineral oil already applied but will need to be redone occasionally. I bought this one from Amazon for easy application. ($9.99 on sale)

Bamboogle Food Grade Mineral Oil For Cutting Boards - No Mess Cutting Board Oil With Easy Applicator
Will do!
Yeah, I saw the price and couldn't pass it up.
I'm intrigued by the "No Mess" stuff. I almost bought one, but I already have some mineral oil, and I'm wondering how well it would work on those spikes. You can be the Guinea Pig :smilekettle:

Please let me know how it works out.

I haven't used it yet, but it's solid and well-built.
Mine wasn't oiled or, if it was, it was very lightly applied.
I'm in the process now of conditioning the board.

I bought two tins of this stuff and a pint of mineral oil for $3.00 from the grocery store: WALRUS OIL - Wood Wax, 3 oz Can, FDA Food-Safe, Cutting Board Wax and Board Cream https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075LP6ZGC/?tag=tvwb-20

I first bought a bottle of this stuff: Howard Products BBC0, Butcher Block Conditioner, 12 Fl Oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ESTA30/?tag=tvwb-20

But it's expensive and it takes quite a bit to treat the 18×18" Boos boards and I have two of them.
The mineral oil followed by the Walrus oil 1-2 days later is very effective and inexpensive in the long run.

I bought a gallon of mineral oil from Amazon. This is about $20 for a lifetime supply. Every so often, I put all my wood cutting boards, wooden spoons, wooden tools and stuff with wooden handles in a big pile on my biggest cutting board and oil everything. The stuff also works as a honing oil with Arkansas sharpening stones as well as a polish for stainless steel appliances.

I bought two tins of this stuff and a pint of mineral oil for $3.00 from the grocery store: WALRUS OIL - Wood Wax, 3 oz Can, FDA Food-Safe, Cutting Board Wax and Board Cream https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075LP6ZGC/?tag=tvwb-20

I first bought a bottle of this stuff: Howard Products BBC0, Butcher Block Conditioner, 12 Fl Oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ESTA30/?tag=tvwb-20

But it's expensive and it takes quite a bit to treat the 18×18" Boos boards and I have two of them.
The mineral oil followed by the Walrus oil 1-2 days later is very effective and inexpensive in the long run.
Thanks!
I've always had great results with the inexpensive, food-grade mineral oil, applied over the course of a few days, until the board quits absorbing it.
Now, if I had one of those expensive boards, I'd probably consider it.

I like the look of a nice butcher block, but just go for plastic boards for their practicality and size.

I conditioned mine today using the mineral oil with the applicator tip, which worked great. I just daubed it on on the sharp meat holding triangles. I’m hoping when the bottle is empty, I can remove the tip and refill it and reuse it.

I conditioned mine today using the mineral oil with the applicator tip, which worked great. I just daubed it on on the sharp meat holding triangles. I’m hoping when the bottle is empty, I can remove the tip and refill it and reuse it.
Good call.
I dribbled the oil over the triangles, then rubbed it in, as best I could between the triangles, with an old t-shirt.
I've repeated the oiling process every day, for the past few days, and ended up using half of an 8 oz bottle and the board has absorbed all of it. I've treated bamboo boards in the past, but I've never had one that was so thick and heavy and absorbed so much oil.
I don't think that you can warp the board with too much oil, but I'm not applying any more after this last coat.

Back