Curb Alert !!!

Ok understood, thanks! how about aftermarket grates - what is the consensus for the best option from Amazon for example?
I don't know if there is a particular grate that stands out for the Silver A/500. I prefer cast iron while others swear by stainless steel rod. There are stamped stainless ones as well, all in the $35-45 range. I haven't had to buy a set myself as mine came with an older porcelain coated cast iron that was in good shape. Once the porcelain starts chipping off in more than a few small spaces, my coated ones will be replaced with plain cast iron. Will your grates clean up enough to use for now?

I don't know if there is a particular grate that stands out for the Silver A/500. I prefer cast iron while others swear by stainless steel rod. There are stamped stainless ones as well, all in the $35-45 range. I haven't had to buy a set myself as mine came with an older porcelain coated cast iron that was in good shape. Once the porcelain starts chipping off in more than a few small spaces, my coated ones will be replaced with plain cast iron. Will your grates clean up enough to use for now?
2 factors to consider is how much will you use the grill and spacing between the rods.

If you cook thin stuff like sliced vegetables, chicken cutlets, thin hamburgers, etc watch out for the spacing. You might get a good price on stainless rod cooking grids and have your food fall into the firebox..

Stainless is easier to maintain and doesn’t require heavy seasoning like cast iron

If you are going to use the grill less than 1 per week I would rule out cast iron and go with stainless.

If you are going to use the grill 1 or more per week you could consider cast iron. The seasoning required is justified with the frequent use.

If you are cost conscious and don’t plan to keep the grill for too long porcelain enamel stamped steel works fine

Pretty good review of the types of grates BPratt. I definitely lean towards solid rod Stainless grates, but there are pros and cons to all styles as you carefully laid out above.

Pretty good review of the types of grates BPratt. I definitely lean towards solid rod Stainless grates, but there are pros and cons to all styles as you carefully laid out above.
Thanks.

I don’t think my family are typical grillers

We are cast iron and grill about 10 times per week. I think 5 of the times are bone in pork chops that keep the cast iron seasoned but who’s counting

I grill 2-3 times per week, and I wouldn't have anything but SS rods. Ease lack of maintenance is probably #1, and they don't seem to leave as heavy of sear marks, which my kids seem to think are lines of death inducing poison.
I’m a cast iron guy myself, but the “lines of death inducing poison” is definitely the best thing I’ve come across yet today!

With the cast iron I have to be careful with lamb chops followed by boneless chicken breasts. If I don’t brush off the cast iron before the chicken breasts I get some black lines that will now be my meal.

Beef then chicken is ok.

For the grills I sell I default to used stainless. Whenever I buy new I always get a buyer that wants the opposite so I just give them something that functions and they can buy what they want

With the cast iron I have to be careful with lamb chops followed by boneless chicken breasts. If I don’t brush off the cast iron before the chicken breasts I get some black lines that will now be my meal.

Beef then chicken is ok.

For the grills I sell I default to used stainless. Whenever I buy new I always get a buyer that wants the opposite so I just give them something that functions and they can buy what they want

I have considered whenever I finish one for sale, selling it with new burners and flavor bars, and then the buyer can choose what they want to put in their grill... Only thought it. I have a performer I will be selling with a set of used grates, but there are so many options with grates, griddles, etc. that I think someone would be more likely to buy it for a little less to have that choice to make.

That burned on ground beef makes great seasoning for the chicken breasts.

Hi all

First time poster, long time lurker.

I have a 2005 Weber Genesis Silber B w/doors I would like to go to a good home.
I have had this grill since new in 2005 and have taken pretty good care of it. New flavor bars every few years as well as tubes and gas line. It still has the original porcelain grates. The only missing piece is the warming rack.

I have had intentions of doing a complete restore over the past couple of years but just have not had the time dedicated to a complete tear-down. Does it need it, no, but I wanted to do it anyway.
I can send photos to whomever wants it. It is not rusted out and i still cooked on it up until last week. I always have a cover on it as well as it is stored on my cover porch.

I live in Orlando Florida.

I could put it by the curb but I know it would go to scrap, just trying to find a good home.
Please message me for details.
Thanks!

Last edited:
I just cleaned them quite well but there are a few small chips scattered about that I'm concerned may begin rusting. Think I'll go for one of the stainless steel options. thank you.

If you get good heavy SS grates there is no advantage of going to cast iron. Much more work to maintain, constant headache IMO. I used the daylights out of the CI grates I had in my Wolf but no matter how much love I gave them they still continued to crumble. Best thing ever I ever did for that Wolf was having Dave Santana make me a set of heavy well spaced SS grates.. Expensive? Sure. But worth every $$$ I spent over the years. Far less headaches. These are outdoor appliances, living in harsh conditions. Just not worth the grief.

I know I shouldn’t bring this up, but I have a 2-burner Silver A with a Skyline hood. I use cast iron on it sometimes in the summer. My alternative grates for this grill are the controversial GrillGrate grates. The downside and potential risks of grilling on aluminum have been debated exhaustively here. Last thing I want is to restart that. 😯

I respect those who look at the GrillGrate proposition and say, “No thanks!” However, I personally have had good success using them on my Silver A, and accordingly am sharing for this thread.

PopPic00007.jpeg

IMG_3454.jpeg

I know I shouldn’t bring this up, but I have a 2-burner Silver A with a Skyline hood. I use cast iron on it sometimes in the summer. My alternative grates for this grill are the controversial GrillGrate grates. The downside and potential risks of grilling on aluminum have been debated exhaustively here. Last thing I want is to restart that. 😯

I respect those who look at the GrillGrate proposition and say, “No thanks!” However, I personally have had good success using them on my Silver A, and accordingly am sharing for this thread.

View attachment 96876

View attachment 96877
Thank you for sharing Jon. I appreciate your input

I would think that cast iron would sear better than stainless because it conducts heat much faster than does stainless.

They're about the same. And actually many pro chefs feel a SS pan will give as good a sear as a cast iron one. In any case it's more involved with the weight and mass of them. If you're comparing heavy CI to thin rods of course. But comparing good heavy ones like Dave Santana would make you might get VERY shocked. And then there is the ease of maint issue. Gimme SS all day every day I had my fill fighting with the grates the Wolf had. Life is too short

Back