Curb Alert !!!

If there is some benefit to CI vs SS in cooking performance, my level of skills in that area are not high enough to be able to take advantage of it. I do know the SS is much easier to clean and maintain however.
If I'm missing something with cast iron, then ignorance is bliss. Nothing against those that use it or prefer it of course. I've used both and just don't see any benefits to the cast iron, only downside.

View attachment 96900Does anyone recognize these SS grates? I don't think I have seen them before on a Genesis x000.
This is in a special edition Snap-On 3000 for sale.
Those look like Weber GBS which was not original to that grill. The version was discontinued I believe. You can still buy the accessories that go in the middle like a pizza stone.

I had an older version. The 12” center insert was too small for anything that would feed more than 2 people

Picked this up from a neighbor's trash last week. I have always loved the AFF logo grills but never thought I'd see one here in South Carolina. The owner said their father got it in the early 90's up in Delaware and passed it to them down here about 5 years ago where it has served them well.

It is totally original and needs all new innards and wood, but the frame is somehow totally rust free. It even has the complete flip up side tables.

Been reading through some threads on slat options. Being in the south I want to go with a plastic type product. Has anyone successfully used Trex? I have enough leftover from a decking projects to do the whole grill, but I worry it will take a ton of work to get them to the right thickness. Also, what is the solution for heat on the board closest to the firebox?

The wooden handle is worn and lose in the bracket. Any way to firm it back up or should I just replace with the solid hardwood option from BBQparts.com?

1722348794375.jpeg

Probably best to replace the handle. But instead of trying to adapt Trex to your project, I would simply look for Durawood slats. You can likely find them on more curb alert pickups or see if anyone on the forum has some spares. One member you could contact is Jon Tofte. He might be willing to sell some of his stash.
Most of those grills had a spacer on the side of the frame between the frame and durawood shelf. I can't tell if yours has one or not. Jon could probably help you with one of those as well. Or a donor grill.

Probably best to replace the handle. But instead of trying to adapt Trex to your project, I would simply look for Durawood slats. You can likely find them on more curb alert pickups or see if anyone on the forum has some spares. One member you could contact is Jon Tofte. He might be willing to sell some of his stash.
Most of those grills had a spacer on the side of the frame between the frame and durawood shelf. I can't tell if yours has one or not. Jon could probably help you with one of those as well. Or a donor grill.
Thanks. He and I have swapped parts before, so I'll reach out again. I also reached out to another member who just finished replacing his slats with wood.

This one does not have a spacer. the wood butts right up to the frame

Brandon,
This not an AFF, but I think Bruce is right that blue lid goes well with Durawood. What does "AFF" stand for by the way?

i.e. Blue lid with gray ...

I agree. Looks fantastic.

American Frozen Foods. Based on another forum post I dug up here, it was some sort of Swanson's type gourmet frozen food delivery company that offered this as either a promo for customers and/or as a reward for sales people who met goals.

I just think the logo is super retro and adds a little bit of flair to the already uncommon blue-top.

I like CI grates
Brandon,
This not an AFF, but I think Bruce is right that blue lid goes well with Durawood. What does "AFF" stand for by the way?

i.e. Blue lid with gray ...

View attachment 96909View attachment 96910

Another blue lid with Durawood. The lid came from a 1991 (?) Genesis 3 and was put onto a 1998 Platinum cart with the extra swing up table.

1722358349857.png

Last edited:
Picked this up from a neighbor's trash last week. I have always loved the AFF logo grills but never thought I'd see one here in South Carolina. The owner said their father got it in the early 90's up in Delaware and passed it to them down here about 5 years ago where it has served them well.

It is totally original and needs all new innards and wood, but the frame is somehow totally rust free. It even has the complete flip up side tables.

Been reading through some threads on slat options. Being in the south I want to go with a plastic type product. Has anyone successfully used Trex? I have enough leftover from a decking projects to do the whole grill, but I worry it will take a ton of work to get them to the right thickness. Also, what is the solution for heat on the board closest to the firebox?

The wooden handle is worn and lose in the bracket. Any way to firm it back up or should I just replace with the solid hardwood option from BBQparts.com?

View attachment 96906
Brandon, consider one of these reproduction handles for your project.Screenshot_20240509-003534.png

Back