Costco St. Louis Ribs

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
I'm planning on doing some Costco ribs this weekend for Smoke Day and because I promised my daughter to cook for her birthday. I'm planning on getting the three pack and cooking them all. Issue is that I've never done anything but baby backs and I want to try something a little different. Is there anything really different about doing the St. Louis ribs versus baby backs other than time? I'm thinking a basic rub, use a rib rack to keep the meat in the center out of the hot zone, cook around 275° and pull them when they're done. I'm not planning on foiling but I have found that foiling baby backs after the cook (basically letting them rest) for about 20 minutes get the ribs right where I like them so I might do that. Anything I'm missing specific to the larger ribs? I'm thinking 4 - 6 hours for planning purposes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated - especially if anyone has had questionable results with the Costco St. Louis ribs.

Thanks!

I think the main difference is time I do my spares at 250° for 5-6 hours and I don't foil. I can't offer any insight as far as the Costco ribs.

Jerry-

I've cooked nothing but CostCo spares for many years. I have not had ANY questionable results with them that can't be attributed to something other than the meat. The only real difference in terms of cooking spares vs. baby backs is time. Spares tend to be larger and perhaps a bit tougher, so need that extra time to be done. Other than that, have no fear, and move on ahead with your plan!! I think you are looking at 4.5-5 hours at that temp, but there are variables, so maybe check 'em at 4 and see where they are at. The rest of your plan sounds good to me.

Let us know how it goes!

Rich

Yup, spares will take 20%-25% longer to cook than baby backs. I do spares pretty much the way you do baby backs -- cook till done (the pull test), then rest in foil for 20 minutes or so. If the spirit moves me, I may sauce them for 15 minutes indirect on a kettle. Harry Soo's doctored Sweet Baby Ray's is pretty good on spares.

Costco is my "go to" source for ribs, both Loin Back and St. Louis cut spares. I just recently did three racks of Costco St. Louis spares on my 14.5" WSM. I smoked at 275 degrees using Penzeys' BBQ 3000 rub and did not foil. They were ready at 3.0 hrs. and 50 minutes. Good bunch of ribs, too. I am a fan of using a rib rack (i cut all the racks of ribs in half and do three halves on each grate using two rib racks).

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I haven't bought from Costco, but I assume they are untrimmed. You should investigate trimming the ribs...there are a couple of good YouTube videos and tutorials. There are bits and pieces of meat attached to the slab that are best cut off, and the membrane attached to the bone is best pulled off. My rib success went up dramatically once I mastered trimming.

The trimmings are some super delicious meat on their own. I prep them right along with the ribs and put them on a protected portion of the grill. They give me an excellent indication of how the cook is progressing and how my seasoning worked. They either get chopped up and added to baked beans, or they become an appetizer for the chef and sous chefs.

Thanks for the input everyone! Gonna be a good BBQ eatin' weekend. Always have some Keri's Hog Apple Baked Beans too.

Also check the recipe section on this website they have a recipe for St Louis spares that is quite good. Good luck..........

Well, the eatin' was good. Everyone enjoyed the ribs. Unfortunately, I think I prefer baby backs. I don't really like the part with the cartilage. The cook went real well though and everything came together right on time and the weather was great. Happy Belated Smoke Day.

Back