Costco charcoal sale

John Neuser

TVWBB Fan
Costco is running a sale on Kingsford Competition charcoal. Discount is $4.50 off 2x18 lb. bags. The flyer does not state final cost. My question is, how does it compare with the regular Kingsford briquettes? I could use a couple of bags until the regular KBB is on sale. Thank you.

John,
Like many things, some folks really like it, some don't, I do.
It burns hotter, less long, and less ash when compared to regular KBB.
Click here for a comparison by Patio Daddio.

KC is better for sure, but not as good as what they want for it IMHO. I've used a lot of it in the last couple of years, but probably won't much now that we're not Costco members anymore. They're other briquettes like Stubbs, RO chef's select, B&B, that are just as good or maybe even better, both in quality and value. KC won't choke near as bad on it's on ash like KB does.

I was at Costco Saturday eyeballing some lump in a large bag. I didn't see this stuff, but I would think it would be much better for a grill where you want it as hot as you can get, as fast as you can get it. For the wsm, I'm fine with the ones that take longer to come up, and chug a little lower.

Been using Costco KCC now for a little over a year. No complains here about how it burns, etc. I'm a happy CAMPER here in Livermore Ca. :wsm: I am down to 3 bags, having had 10 bags for my winter supply. Will be stocking up soon.

I enjoy using it. In my area, $4.30 sale is coming at Costco (another member posted this as well). Limit is 3. It is nice to have for steaks and high heat cooks.

It's my favorite charcoal. If you're using it in a wsm, kb will work just fine however.

Sort of. Kingsford "original"(not!) in the blue bag is responsible for a lot of folks waking up to a cold cooker and cold meat.

Heck, there wouldn't be all the fancy wireless therm sales if you could always be sure the ash wouldn't start choking the coals hours into the cook. I recommend using an ATC or occasionally tapping the legs with a rubber maul. The other issue with it is that it can take a LONG time to start burning clean. That means it's harder to do a slow Minion start, especially with a dry pan, unless the Kingsford flavor is what you're after. (Lots of folks evidently like it.) From what I've read though, Jim Minion would've had second thoughts in trying his method if Kbb was all he had.

I don't do overnight cooks, but have had excellent results with original Kingsford. It has worked consistently for me - which is REAL helpful. I can tap the legs if needed (seldom) and it is available. I load up during the big sales and admit that has a bearing on my preference but if it didn't work for me and were FREE I wouldn't use it.

One thing nice about BBQ, you can use what pleases YOU and control your own preferences. I LIKE that:D.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

KC is all I use.

I tried KBB once.

Once.

It burns totally different from KC, and I don't understand why people use it in a smoker. KC never chokes itself out like KBB does.

I use both, but prefer the KC COMP overall. It will end up being like $16 and some depending on your area after the discount. I think it smells better lighting up, and less ash.

Maybe I'm lucky, but I've never had some of the problems with KBB outlined above.....assuming L&S cooks (temps 250 or less). It can be more difficult to get HH cooks done with KBB. In those instances, I often will use lump and am interested in trying KC for that.

Back