Cool overnight brisket!

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Have not done a brisket since August, got a reasonable price the other day at Costco So, I just got one on for an overnight cook. I’m glad to have the rain stop, supposed to be little chance the rest of the night so, I’m expecting an uneventful evening. WSM settled in pretty nicely, not much wind but, it’s cool, supposed to drop to about 38!
I hope I’m not too out of practice!!

This morning 14 hours in, I have needed to re stoke some coals, temp had dropped enough to know that the fire itself was hungry so, that’s been fed and I’ll start coffee.
Pit-coming back through 200
Brisket-163
Since dinner isn’t for a long while, I’m perfectly happy with how it’s going.two vent adjustments overnight both before I actually settled in for bed so, this has been pretty good, so far.

Timothy

I bet its going to be tasty, we will be waiting the outcome for sure.

Lew, it’s abut 13#(trimmed) choice from Costco, nothing super special, nice but, not mind boggling.
I‘ve had to deal with the wind backing since sunrise, as the sun (I think that’s what the big bright thing in the sky is) beats on the WSM, temperatures have gone a bit higher than I like, I’ve got about 15* to go and then cooler time! When I get the brisket foiled and toweled, I will get things cleaned up and then prep the roasted baby potatoes and Brussels sprouts. Easy cook!

Lew, it’s abut 13#(trimmed) choice from Costco, nothing super special, nice but, not mind boggling.
I‘ve had to deal with the wind backing since sunrise, as the sun (I think that’s what the big bright thing in the sky is) beats on the WSM, temperatures have gone a bit higher than I like, I’ve got about 15* to go and then cooler time! When I get the brisket foiled and toweled, I will get things cleaned up and then prep the roasted baby potatoes and Brussels sprouts. Easy cook!
The only "easy" cook is reheating the leftovers in the microwave;-)

That’s possibly true but, people really seem to think that cooking a brisket or butt is a ton of work, it’s a LOT of patience, not so much effort but, waiting. This is easy, sprouts and potatoes get a toss in olive oil, salt and pepper? They will share a bowl for tossing then, onto a couple of foil lined sheet pans. While they roast the bowl goes into the dishwasher (or wash it by hand) the biggest effort is not waiting long enough on the rest period.

Well. 21.5 hours and I was losing enough heat to probe and it’s not bad. Resting in the cooler now, slicing will happen about 6:00. Only time will tell if it’s the delight I’m hoping for.
I decided I had enough time to get some snack stuff ready so, stuffed cherry peppers, pickled beets, a hot fennel cheese dip (using up some leftover stuff) baguette slices, various chips, Costco gruyere pepper dip, sliced some summer sausage.
No one will leave hungry!
Really, this was the second longest brisket cook I’ve ever had! I went 26 for another one just about this same size, an 18# one was 16 hours. The moral of the story is “It will be done when it says it’s done!”

Turned out quite well, used oak (Fruitawood) instead of Michigan cherry or bourbon barrel staves (same source) everyone enjoyed it with both hands! Since “We“ are our own worst critics, it was a strong seven for me. Not my best but, “not my best” is better than most I’ve ever bought!IMG_0820.jpeg
Oh, I tried ”Kinders” SPG on this one, a bit more garlic even for me to be honest. But, it was a quick and dirty cook. Maybe not so quick but, low stress that’s for sure. Just stressed by the eternal wait!
This will make some killer chili!

That came out great—exactly how I like my brisket to bend just like that. It looks like it was well worth the wait. BTW, I like Kinders SPG, with a little added pepper.

Thanks folks, to be honest, I am finding that I like the ”Certified Angus” from Meijers better than the choice from Costco but, $2.99# was too good a deal to pass up. It’s actually almost as good as Costco’s prime.
I will dice some up for chili this afternoon.

I got that brisket deal also and mine took 22 hours to cook. I had to wrap it in foil for the last two hours because I was in a long stall at about 176 degrees and the natives were getting restless. Once it was (finally) done, it was great. Great price. Also the longest brisket cook I have ever had, and by a lot. No idea why.

Sometimes they just don’t want to come out into the sun and be eaten!
Ran errands yesterday and somehow managed to wrench my back so, the chili was not made, I was flat on my back by 8:00 and feel lousy this morning, I’ve got to get the chili made and leftovers vacuum packed today or I will be very angry with myself! I’ll see how I feel after some coffee.

Back