Cooking those Flaps of rib meat that is boneless?

Roger R.

TVWBB Fan
I bought some fairly lousy St. Louis ribs that had larger boneless flaps of meat on the ends. I cut those flaps off so I would have nice shaped St. Louis ribs. I froze those flap ends and would like to cook them.

Do they cook like St. Louis ribs? I usually cook at 250º for 4.5 - 5 hrs, but the St. Louis ribs have more fat and bones. The flaps are not very fay and have no bones.

Any suggestions?

I've cut those off too. What I do I cook them with the ribs. My ribs take between 4 and 5 hours to cook (at 225) and those get pulled off around the two mark, maybe a bit earlier, just depend what real estate they get during the cook. They make for a good snack

Those are the chef's treat. I usually cook them with the ribs. But saving them and cooking the collection seems like a good item for use in other dishes. I'd recommend 225-275*F for a few hours and check with a skewer until tender

Last edited:
Or cure and smoke them for SPAM, SPpare rib flAp M​eat

IMGP3322.JPG

IMGP1346.JPG

Those are the chef's appetizers (I was going to give you their name but let's leave it at "appetizers")--smoke 'em with the ribs and they'll be done after about 2 hr or so. Let 'em cool a bit and now you've got your treat to go with your frostie.

I usually smoke them along with the tips for a few then chop and add them to kettle beans.

Tim

I already cooked the ribs last weekend, so 250º for 2 hours should do the trick?

That should do the trick. If you have some different rubs laying around and you have a bag of these pieces try using different rubs on each for a comparo. Good luck!

Back