Cooking chicken to 145*

I read a lot more than I understand from that guy :)

Learned some vital info from him, one of my favorites reminds me of a Benjamin Franklin quote I read in the Poor Richard Almanack:

"Beware of meat twice boiled, And an old foe reconciled."

That means that slimy green meat can be cooked to safe (may be a bit extreme) but will probably taste bad, while cooked meat needs to be eaten/disposed/frozen much quicker. The reasoning is that before the meat is cooked there is a lot of spoilage bacteria that will destroy the pathogens that's not there after it's been cooked, so the pathogens can multiply & create toxins.

I've wondered about that but I'm so used to eating chicken cooked to 160 with carry over to 165 that cooking it to 145 might have a weird texture. I think the dark meat benefits from even higher temps.

I take my wings & thighs to 200 all the time & love it. I used to cook bscb all the time but haven't for years.

A good rule of thumb for me is cooking poultry to 185. That way little chance of dying from some horrible disease.

I usually cook thighs or quarters to about 180 as they seem to take the heat without drying out better than the breast which I cook to 160-165

What Rich said!
I agree, dark meat can take a lot more than breast meat without turning to leather. One little trick I like when doing a turkey is to make a bacon quilt for it so cook under, it adds a little insulation and becomes nicely self basted. Doesn't work if you turn and burn but, for a straight old fashioned indirect, it makes a great product even better!

I don't like dark meat cooked under 165, it as a raw texture to me. White meat much below that has pink in it and seems wrong and unnecessary.

I grill mostly boneless skinless chicken breasts. I've been pulling at about 150 - 155 for years. I do let the meat rest, so the time factor is considered. Most the time it's pretty good, but I still come across the occasional rubbery chicken which I hate. Seems to be happening more of late.

Back