Cook going and need to refill

I usually dont need to refill but on this cook I will. what is the best recomended way of adding fuel with kingsford?

Add lit or unlit? After using the smokey mountain for 3 years this is a first. Sorry for dumb question.

Times like these, handles on the mid-section are the ticket. Simply lift and add coals.

Tim

I've been caught in a sticky situation on some over night cooks. So I have put unlit coals in by hand or tongs(maybe 20 coals). I was able to get from 190 back to 225 in about 30 minutes. I have done the minion method for years so I never bothered to light the coals.

I hope that helps.

Troy

Never done it myself, but have read of using a long metal shoot to glide unlit in through the access door. That seems like the safest, easiest way to me.

This is how a friend told me he's refueled his big 22.5". He uses water and prefers the low cost of Kbb, but he's like me and is rather particular about getting a clean fire.

So instead of simply tossing briquettes onto the fire, he pushes the lit coals toward the center and adds unlit briquettes around the edge where they barely touch. The middle section can be rotated around to access all sides of the fire through the door, and the top vents should be shut to minimize ash landing on the meat.

Originally posted by Paul Lai:
Never done it myself, but have read of using a long metal shoot to glide unlit in through the access door. That seems like the safest, easiest way to me.
It works for lit fuel, too. An old length of metal gutter or even cut-down ductwork can get the job done and if it's not too large it can be moved around to aim the charcoal.

It's my theory (and theory only) that Minion works well with K because you have hot coals on top burning the startup byproducts of the unlit coals below. I certainly don't like the smell of K when it is started, so I want to eliminate the possibility of that being coated on my food. So it I have to add coals on top of lit coals, they will also be lit so that the startup fumes are already burnt off.

Frankly, I not heard of anyone saying that using unlit briquettes on top of lit will cause problems, but it's my hedge to ensure I don't have problems.

There's been discussion of the coal shute method before and I think it's interesting, but with the new Weber water bowl being so deep, that can get interesting.

Rich

I've had to add coals on long cooks during colder months. I just open the door and use tongs to put in 20-30 unlit coals.

I just throw some unlit charcoal in if I catch it soon enough. I've never noticed any off flavors from doing this. The brinkman charcoal pan water pan cuts down a little on the amount of fuel I start with, but it's usually only an issue with pork butts.

My last cook almost all the original K was gone and I wasn't sure if the new would light. I lite some in a chimney and lifted the middle section off. I don't have handles installed, but I have some fairly thick BBQ mitts and they're usually thick enough to take the heat. I do a "test lift" before I'm comitted if I do this. If the heat is going to go through the mitts then I can set it down quickly. Dropping that middle section in mid lift wouldn't have a happy ending!

Another idea is to keep on hand some high-quality lump like Wicked Good just to toss on the fire if needed. No nasty smoke issues like with K, as long as you don't smother the fire.

Originally posted by Dave Russell:
Another idea is to keep on hand some high-quality lump like Wicked Good just to toss on the fire if needed. No nasty smoke issues like with K, as long as you don't smother the fire.

Now THAT is a GREAT idea. I always try to keep a bag of Royal Oak around and would have no concerns about adding it. Beats any of the other "juggling" suggestions.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, Dave.

Rich

I'm a chuck in handfuls of K sort of guy! Works for me.
I've had to do the "hot squat" once. That's where you remove the whole middle and top section to add fuel. Definitely falls into the " no fun at all" category!
icon_eek.gif

I have used a small gardening shovel to set both lit and unlite coals in seems to work real well. after reading this I think I might try a few others.

I cook with lump mostly. The times that I need to add fuel I just load on some lump through the side door without issue. Never bothered with lighting it at all. Usually I load the ring up for every cook as I snuff out the fire when done and reserve the unburnt fuel.

By simply loading up the ring full and learning how to close the vents and shut things down at the end you typically have plenty of fuel for any but the longest/overnight cooks.

Side door loads though of lit or unlit works great. You can make a simple chute from aluminum flashing (home depot) and slide fuel in lit or unlit.

If you are one to do long cooks with the water pan full you can use a transmission oil filler to add water also through the side door or through the top.

That whole ritual goes away pretty much once you learn that you can just load up the ring each time and reserve the unspent fuel for future cooks and that you really don't need water in the pan once you learn what you are doing. The techniques work well though regardless. I always minion start unless I am shooting for really high temp cooks in the WSM.

Good luck.

I use thick campfire gloves and reach in through the door and add a few unlit briquettes at the time. I'll use a large BBQ turner to push the remaining coals together, going slowly to avoid the ash cloud. I then place the unlit briquettes gently, again, to avoid ash.

If I'm in dire straights and need to add a ton of CC, I'll use the gloves to remove the top of the smoker and add them that way, although I try to avoid that.

Originally posted by Phil Perrin:
I'm a chuck in handfuls of K sort of guy! Works for me.
I've had to do the "hot squat" once. That's where you remove the whole middle and top section to add fuel. Definitely falls into the " no fun at all" category!
icon_eek.gif

"no fun at all" -- even with handles! These techniques are all ways to try and avoid that "choice of last resort".

Rich

Back