Cook for 2

George P

TVWBB Member
Quick question for more experienced members. The kids have gone off to university. How do I cook for 2? Ribs and wings no problem but I usually do 15-20 lb briskets and 10+lb pork butts, now what. I guess I will need to get a 14.5 WSM and look for smaller farm animals.

George, I understand where you are coming from and I also will get a 14.5 in the near future, but with things like brisket and butts, why change what you are cooking. Just get a Foodsaver vacuum sealer and save the leftovers in portions for you and your wife. The food will taste wonderful when you have it later and you don't have to worry about finding smaller farm animals. The smallest whole packer briskets I have seen at Costco are about 14# and I just love the taste of the USDA prime to much to give that up. Always been a fan of the full packer over the flats. Those 14.5's do a great job but there is still a place for our 22's.

I usually make two cooks out of a whole brisket packer, one with a cut off piece of the flat, and another with the remaining point and flat.
Extra pulled pork gets frozen in 2 person portions.

Depending on the cut of meat we break down the left overs into 8-16 oz packages and freeze them. Freezing intact chunks helps retain the integrity of the meat. We substitute it for the meat normally used in soups, tacos, and casseroles plus it is pretty good eating if we just want BBQ again.

Cook smaller butts and briskets. Invite friends over. Have them bring the beer and sides. Divvy up the leftovers. Keep the best bits for yourself. I can easily eat brisket tacos for a week straight.

Jeff

For the most part I've cooked for just my wife and I since I bought my WSM (and every grill I've bought for that matter). Smaller cuts are the way I typically go, nothing over 5-7 lbs. For baby backs I still do a three pack from CostCo or the grocery but honestly we never finish all of them. On the grilling front my 26" kettle hasn't been used in a long time - since the last party we had a few years ago I'm sad to say. I grill mainly on the Smokey Joe but just bought a Genesis that I think will get significant use once it arrives.

You might consider adding a Q1200. Great for a couple of burgers, dogs, chicken breasts, hanger/flank steak, veggies. Under $200 at most dealers.

Bob Ivey took the words right out of my mouth. We also are just 2 and I cook and vacuum seal. It's great having some nice smoked brisket and pulled pork when there's 2 feet of snow outside.

I'm cooking for 3 and one is 11 months old. I mainly have to wait for special occasions on brisket but I use the leftovers and give a lot away.

Get a vacuum sealer and freeze what you don't eat in meal sized bags. It's nice and convenient to pull one out on short notice and thaw in hot water for a quick meal.

Back